Paul Simon > McCartney or Lennon

Cherry Brigand

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Thoughts?

I'm having trouble coming up with a more talented, diverse and prolific song writer than Paul Simon. Who you got?

Bon Scott, Angus young, and malcolm young.

They wrote Big balls

Unpopular opinion: The Beatles are overrated.

I was glad when Quincy Jones, the man responsible for MJs Thriller album, and multiple other records and tv shows, backed me on this one. Decent music, but didn't deserve so much hype.

Paul Simon has my vote.

Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Chuck Berry, John Fogerty, Gordon Lightfoot, Dan Fogelberg, Harry Chapin

Idk but the Brits are easily the song writing goats

He's definitely one of the all-time greats. I probably have him a shade below Dylan or Leonard Cohen.

Speaking as a Brit....Paul Simon gets my vote.

I have a couple of Beatles albums but 7 or 8 Simon or Simon / Garfunkel albums

He is awesome no doubt, Graceland is a classic album, love Simon and Garfunkel, but can't quite put him on the same level as The Beatles imo.

I cant sit through an entire beatles album without getting irritated.

America does solo artists better than the rest.
Britain does bands better than the rest.

He's pretty great. As I get older he gets closer to Dylan for me.

I agree. Not that they're bad by any stretch, but they're a fairly standard pop act that happened to be lucky enough to come around when the time was ripe. IMO, they basically were the first to be good enough to catch the wave that redefined popular music for decades. If it hadn't been them, it would've been someone else.

People loved the Beatles back then because it's all there was. Their primacy was then justified on the basis of their talents, not their timing. I feel that rationale has since stuck in history. We've seen some similar, albeit smaller waves happen in the years since: Nirvana is another good example (although, unlike the Beatles, they were decidedly NOT a pop act).

I was glad when Quincy Jones, the man responsible for MJs Thriller album, and multiple other records and tv shows, backed me on this one. Decent music, but didn't deserve so much hype.

Paul Simon has my vote.
couldn't agree more with this. I can't stand the beatles. They are trash to me.

As someone who has a hard-on for innovation, complexity, and weird psychedelic shit, there's no way Paul Simon can hold a candle to Lennon/McCartney.

The famous genre of an era is the pop of that era.

I'm not sure that Nirvana ever got the market saturation that the bigger pop acts of the time did (it's admittedly kind of hard to tell). Think Mariah Carey or Michael Jackson around the same time. Nevermind had a lot of mainstream success for sure, but there's a reason it was called "alternative" at the time.

What's interesting about the proposition is that it sounds absurd, at first.

But judging by what? Hits?
Not really a meter I care about.
Good song writing. Musicianship.

And as much as I love the Beatles, Simon has a killer resume

Back