• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Peaks and PRs

Phlog

Sgt Sprinkles
@Gold
Reaction score
45, male, countryside

I managed to finish my 3 month deadlift cycle on juggernaut 2.0 that I started almost a year ago. Delayed by COVID, injuries, sport season etc.

I reached a lifetime PR of 282kg (621.7lb) and it feels like it might be close to my best. I've been aiming for 300kg for some time but this last lift felt step change heavier than anything else.

Age, injuries and disease are conspiring to tell me life is fleeting, so this might be the one that gets away. Not of I can help it but gotta at least accept the possibility.

Make me feel better by telling me of your lifetime PRs or the one that got away.

I actually just dipped into this forgotten corner of the sherniverse to set some goals and have some accountability.

I am 5’10, 150lbs, 39 years old, retired from competing and currently coaching boxing and striking at an mma gym. I hold a lot of pads so my job is high calorie and I’ve always had a fast metabolism. I’ve never been able to bench my body weight but I could knock out 6 min miles when I was boxing.

I typically walk 153-156 but I have been slammed at work, cornering tournaments, and not making time to eat or lift. That 150lb weigh in was this afternoon after breakfast, a shake and lunch.

my goal is 160lbs while keeping my abs. This week It’s been back squats and pull ups on Tuesday, then ring push ups today. My life and schedule is crazy so right now I’m just trying to do something 3x a week and increase it from there. I’ve got a program someone wrote for me last time I bulked up but it’s aggressive so I have to get myself moving first. Get over the hump and ease into it.

supplementing with mass gainer protein, red meat, and glutamine. Wish me luck sherbros

Last edited:
Lifted from age 12 to 20 and was a good bencher compared to those I lifted with. Goal back then was a double bodyweight bench. Got close as I hit 395 while weighing 205. Moved away for college and stopped lifting regularly for a long time.

Picked it back up a little over two years ago at age 38 and I doubted that I could get back to where I was at 20. Last maxed a couple months ago and got 390 so I am confident that I will actually hit another PR fairly soon and I'm very happy with that. I've added about 20lbs of bodyweight these last two years so that 2x bodyweight goal doesn't seem likely as it would be 460-480lbs. Still fun to try and much better than the alternative of letting my body go to complete shit.

45, male, countryside

I managed to finish my 3 month deadlift cycle on juggernaut 2.0 that I started almost a year ago. Delayed by COVID, injuries, sport season etc.

I reached a lifetime PR of 282kg (621.7lb) and it feels like it might be close to my best. I've been aiming for 300kg for some time but this last lift felt step change heavier than anything else.

Age, injuries and disease are conspiring to tell me life is fleeting, so this might be the one that gets away. Not of I can help it but gotta at least accept the possibility.

Make me feel better by telling me of your lifetime PRs or the one that got away.
If yourself now went back and told your 16 yr old self; you're going to DL over 600lbs one day. Would young immortal you have been ecstatic or upset that was it?

I'm 39, and never reached the 500lb squat. Likely never will, unless I decide to make it my life's work. You can still hit all kinds of pr's as you age, though(prioritize different lifts, go for rep pr's, etc). But if you've paid your dues in the gym, over the years, 1RM's in the Big 3 are likely a thing of the past.

I have been chasing 20 strict pull-ups for a good 10 years now. I hit 17 4 years back, but then had to stop cause I made my elbow so mad that I could only workout legs until I figured out how to fix it. I hit 17 again 6 weeks ago, haven't hit it since, but got 16 twice in that time.
I am 54 and 195lbs.
I remember as a young whipper snapper in the Marine Corps hitting my 20 pull-ups with out a problem, of course I weight all of 155 lbs.

Bry

the good news is that unless you are geriatric you can likely still hit the goal if its that important

I hope so! I'm gonna keep trying and stick to my juggernaut program.

I've been trying to press my bodyweight of 116kg for years but stalled at 87kg this year. I've added in volume to see if that helps.

I had to lay off benching after an injury means when I bench I get nerve issues in my hands and face, surgery is not on the table so it's just a fact of life.

Age conspires to rob one of youth.

If yourself now went back and told your 16 yr old self; you're going to DL over 600lbs one day. Would young immortal you have been ecstatic or upset that was it?

Tbh wouldn't have known what it meant, but would have figured it made sense because I'd always seen my adult future self as strong as fuck. 80s TV had me self actualise towards He-man and Arnie..

If he's pulling 620 at age 45, he'll probably be stronger than the average 30yo gym bro, when he's 70.

Fingers crossed! You see the stuff with Odd Haugen, how strong he still is. That's goals right there. I hope I get to be that old.

45, male, countryside

For a guy your age, a 600+ Deadlift is absolutely something to be proud of. Hell, outside of Powerlifters, a lot of much younger guys won't even get close to that.

Congratulations on the PR:cool:

45, male, countryside

I made all my goals, more or less, for weights (not as lofty as most of you all here), but the one that got away was the <20 min 5k.
Got comfortably down to 20:45 @ 150 / 6’4 and was gonna blow past it but then picked a low grade MCL tear sparring with some spaz and that was it.
After a 5-6 weeks off, I switched up my running schedule to favour more intervals, hill sprints etc and never got down to it.

Now 15 year and 50lbs (mostly muscle) later that hankering to finish unfinished business is coming back.
Only, I haven’t run in ~4 years and am pretty heavy now so it’s gonna be a bitch. All this at 43 but I’ve started again………

{<redford}

I made all my goals, more or less, for weights (not as lofty as most of you all here), but the one that got away was the <20 min 5k.
Got comfortably down to 20:45 @ 150 / 6’4 and was gonna blow past it but then picked a low grade MCL tear sparring with some spaz and that was it.
After a 5-6 weeks off, I switched up my running schedule to favour more intervals, hill sprints etc and never got down to it.

Now 15 year and 50lbs (mostly muscle) later that hankering to finish unfinished business is coming back.
Only, I haven’t run in ~4 years and am pretty heavy now so it’s gonna be a bitch. All this at 43 but I’ve started again………

{<redford}

4 da Lulz!

Nice work!

My goal was always

1 X bw press (116kg goal, achieved 87kg)
1.5 X bw bench (198 goal, achieved 142)
2 X bw squat (232 goal, achieved 190)
2.5 X bw deadlift. (290kg goal, achieved 282kg)

I'll likely never bench again due to spine issues, I think I'll be able to hit my squat and deadlift this next year with the addition of a weight belt and some focus on the squat. Press is going to be really tough, I've stalled on that for a year now, just doesn't seem to budge. I've added 50% volume to try and get over the hump, we'll see.

I started to run again but at 116kg and at 45, the hip started complaining. Don't want to bring on a hip replacement so I'll have to do Burpees and sprint stuff for conditioning. I've added in HIIT using a tractor tyre and that's alot of fun with low pain.

Fingers crossed! You see the stuff with Odd Haugen, how strong he still is. That's goals right there. I hope I get to be that old.

Odd's ridiculous even to this day, always nice to see him pop up every now and then

{<redford}

The good thing is that I feel you can hit running goals later. I pretty much run any 5k around here now because my daughter likes to run them. There are consistently guys 40+ (some 50+) under 20 minutes.

{<redford}

The good thing is that I feel you can hit running goals later. I pretty much run any 5k around here now because my daughter likes to run them. There are consistently guys 40+ (some 50+) under 20 minutes.

But distance running is highly dependent on body weight. At the same level of fitness, you're going to be much slower over 5K if you're packing more weight, whether fat or muscle. I was a dedicated runner from teens to early 40's and my fastest 5K was 17:49 as a HS athlete weighing 135 lbs at 5' 8". But by late 20's the best I could do was 19 something weighing mid 160's also doing strength training. My training was very consistent and my resting HR during that time was always between 39 and 44.

Now in my late 40's, I'm 172 lbs and train a mix of strength and combat sports with built in cardio. Started doing 5Ks again this year because my son wanted to and we did 26 minutes. I had to slow down for him but MAYBE could have done 24 if I really pushed it. But even if I focused on running like I used to, no way am I doing 5K <20 minutes unless I get under 150 lbs and since it's harder to gain back muscle at this age, I'm not doing that.

If you train running, best barometer is tracking RHR, HR at your benchmark running pace, and running pace at your anaerobic threshold. My AT has stayed relatively constant over the years at around 175 bpm.

I'm done chasing PRs in things I've been doing for 30 years - I'm training for the long game and general health. But I am chasing PRs in new activities like trying to get to brown belt in BJJ and working toward a 100 lbs barbell snatch (not power snatch).

Last edited:
But distance running is highly dependent on body weight. At the same level of fitness, you're going to be much slower over 5K if you're packing more weight, whether fat or muscle. I was a dedicated runner from teens to early 40's and my fastest 5K was 17:49 as a HS athlete weighing 135 lbs at 5' 8". But by late 20's the best I could do was 19 something weighing mid 160's also doing strength training. My training was very consistent and my resting HR during that time was always between 39 and 44.

Now in my late 40's, I'm 172 lbs and train a mix of strength and combat sports with built in cardio. Started doing 5Ks again this year because my son wanted to and we did 26 minutes. I had to slow down for him but MAYBE could have done 24 if I really pushed it. But even if I focused on running like I used to, no way am I doing 5K <20 minutes unless I get under 150 lbs and since it's harder to gain back muscle at this age, I'm not doing that.

If you train running, best barometer is tracking RHR, HR at your benchmark running pace, and running pace at your anaerobic threshold. My AT has stayed relatively constant over the years at around 175 bpm.

I'm done chasing PRs in things I've been doing for 30 years - I'm training for the long game and general health. But I am chasing PRs in new activities like trying to get to brown belt in BJJ and working toward a 100 lbs barbell snatch (not power snatch).

I mean, yes, in general most of the top runners will be skinny and very light. I did a 19 minute 5k at around 180 lbs, but I was training conditioning like crazy then. I'm also only 5'9", so I had muscle mass and some fluff. I'm 200 lbs now, more muscle than before with some fluff still, 40+, but I think I can get to 21 minutes if I try. I'm doing sub 25 without training at all for them and not really going balls to the wall. Sometimes my last run was the previous 5k.

A lot of strong mother fuckers posting in here.

My goals were always more modest. I just wanted to rep 225 10 times on bench, and hit a body weight front squat because those goals satisfied some image of fitness I had, and so that was fine. I've never been able to deadlift 405, and am far from it, though I'd like to one day.

I think I'd need a trick with the grip. I always do double overhand with no chalk or straps or anything. That's why I switched to sets of RDLs, so I could work those muscles at a lower weight without my grip giving up. I'd have to change up to pursue that.

A lot of strong mother fuckers posting in here.

My goals were always more modest. I just wanted to rep 225 10 times on bench, and hit a body weight front squat because those goals satisfied some image of fitness I had, and so that was fine. I've never been able to deadlift 405, and am far from it, though I'd like to one day.

I think I'd need a trick with the grip. I always do double overhand with no chalk or straps or anything. That's why I switched to sets of RDLs, so I could work those muscles at a lower weight without my grip giving up. I'd have to change up to pursue that.

Fwiw I can't deadlift more than about 190kg without straps and I start using them after about 160kg. I do it because there's no reason my grip strength should hold up my leg and back strength. I'd never be up to 282 if I continued no straps as I used to, same as you, I wanted my grip stronger and piggy backed on the deadlift. Now I train my grip separately and both my grip and my deadlift improved as a result.

I just leave the grip stuff lying about and in my work bag. Every non training day I see em I have to do a set with them (except the real heavy stuff that I have to work up to).

Fwiw I can't deadlift more than about 190kg without straps and I start using them after about 160kg. I do it because there's no reason my grip strength should hold up my leg and back strength. I'd never be up to 282 if I continued no straps as I used to, same as you, I wanted my grip stronger and piggy backed on the deadlift. Now I train my grip separately and both my grip and my deadlift improved as a result.

I just leave the grip stuff lying about and in my work bag. Every non training day I see em I have to do a set with them (except the real heavy stuff that I have to work up to).

Cool man. I think I'll have to do what you did. Makes perfect sense. Thanks

The last time I tried heavy deadlifts, I got up to trying about 365 pounds and I felt like I could do it in my legs and back, but it just ripped out of my hand. Not even close to being able to hold it.

Back