People say a bigger fist means harder punching but I don't believe it

People with bigger hands usually have bigger wrists, elbow joints and joints in general, and therefore can put on more muscle mass/have more bone + muscle mass naturally and thus hit harder.
That's why people often talk about hand/wrist size as an indicator for the amount of strength an athlete can produce.
Muscle type (fast or slow twitching) plays a big, if not the biggest factor though, along with the leverage of a certain frame, which is down to bone length and where tendons and muscles are connected to bespoken bones.
I think is more how much acceleration you can produce, for example a guy like Michael Johnson is not a super muscular type of guy but punch hard.

I think is more how much acceleration you can produce, for example a guy like Michael Johnson is not a super muscular type of guy but punch hard.
For sure! but how fast someone can accelerate his fist has to do with
  • percentage of muscle fibre type
  • leverage
  • connection of tendons and muscles with the bones
  • neuromuscular ability
..and while your statement is true, Michael Johnson would punch harder if he had more muscle mass (generally speaking), although his speed might not be as good, at least when stringing together combinations and/or he'd gas more quickly.

People with bigger hands usually have bigger wrists, elbow joints and joints in general, and therefore can put on more muscle mass/have more bone + muscle mass naturally and thus hit harder.
That's why people often talk about hand/wrist size as an indicator for the amount of strength an athlete can produce.
Muscle type (fast or slow twitching) plays a big, if not the biggest factor though, along with the leverage of a certain frame, which is down to bone length and where tendons and muscles are connected to bespoken bones.
Hahahahaha

It's not the size of the fists, it's that bigger fists = bigger/thicker bones, which correlates with punching power.

Well - if technique stands behind it, I would think so ( think about it)

Its like having a 5 lb sledge hammer and a 5 lb pick ax. Which would you rather get hit by? I think I'd rather get hit with the sledge hammer.

OffbeatFatLeafhopper-small.gif

Big fist dont mean shit. It's all about narrow hips, strong upper glutes, big front shoulders, and low bodyfat. 3/4 of those are achievable with hard work. A person with all these traits is guaranteed to hit like a truck. I have long and wide hands btw doesn't mean shit power doesn't come from there

I noticed Kahbib has small hands. He seems to hit pretty hard.

Its like having a 5 lb sledge hammer and a 5 lb pick ax. Which would you rather get hit by? I think I'd rather get hit with the sledge hammer.
haha
Explained this to someone in a bit of different way but same stupid face response. Said would you rather get hit with a basketball or baseball at 100 mph ?

on smaller fists the impact is higher then larger fists if they hit you at the same speed. But the impact is much more concentrated and more likely to cause big lumps or cuts. Large fists the impact gets divided over a larger surface but pack more weight and probably better for knocking people out.

Smaller fists will condense the same force in a smaller area so it may be more damaging a blow.

I hate getting punched by the kids at the Dojo, their little fists hit hard but hurt bad, the adults hit hard but the force is over a larger area, hurts less. I am not the only person to say this either at the Dojo, not many of us enjoy taking a hundred punches in the stomach by the kids, but we do, I love Goju Ryu.

So Brock hits you for 100 over an area size 10, that means you only feel 10 damage.
Fedor hits you for 100 over an area size 7, that means you feel 14.285 damage.

Bigger hand = more force as force = mass x acceleration.
And no matter how big or small the hand the surface area of the impact won't be very different, you don't hit with your entire hand just the knuckle and it doesn't all hit at the same time.

I'm pretty sure hand size has nothing to do with punching power, it's just a myth that scientists (or Mythbusters) can't be bothered to disprove.

Back