People too disabled for their job

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
I had to call customer service at my brokerage and after being on hold forever, I finally got through to a guy with a very prominent stutter.

I had a hard time understanding anything he was saying. I had to ask him to repeat himself so many times that it became awkward.

I thought about hanging up and calling back, but I didn't want to wait on hold for another half hour.

I'm all for people overcoming challenges and being given a chance to work, but at the same time, should he really be working in a call center?

I mean, sometimes your disability just eliminates you from certain jobs.

A blind guy can't become a bus driver. A woman with no hands can't be a courtroom stenographer.

Am I the asshole?

I mean, of course I am, but for this specific reason?

I had to call customer service at my brokerage and after being on hold forever, I finally got through to a guy with a very prominent stutter.

I had a hard time understanding anything he was saying. I had to ask him to repeat himself so many times that it became awkward.

I thought about hanging up and calling back, but I didn't want to wait on hold for another half hour.

I'm all for people overcoming challenges and being given a chance to work, but at the same time, should he really be working in a call center?

A blind guy can't become a bus driver. A woman with no hands can't be a courtroom stenographer.

Am I the asshole?

Could have been someone that may have had some sort of incident that caused the stutter (brain injury), that caused the stutter, while employed there. The employer may be accommodating the employee through ADA (well, in the US).

Am I the asshole?

I mean this country is run by a person too mentally unfit for the job, and it looks like it'll be 4 more years of this regardless of the result, so what you experienced is par for the course

TOqOM4.gif

I worked with a guy who worked in a fast food joint back in The 80s. He always told me the story that they would get robbed by gun men on the regular as they were right off the highway exit. They had a code word for a stick up. The stuttering guy who usually backed the register preparing the to go order was put on the counter since he knew the place in and out. Oh oh here comes the robbery crew. Guy stuttering nonsense over the microphone could not send the warning to the other employees they all got robbed. Usually the warning sent them all hiding into a room they would lock themselves in. Don't put people in these bad positions. Imagine a stuttering air traffic controller.

Last edited:

Am I the asshole?

You're not wrong sir.
The best thing you could've done is asked to speak to someone else.

You could've just asked politely without being an asshole about it.
You'd have been within your rights.

Also...am I bad for laughing at a court stenographer with no hands? Lol

Should've been thrown off a cliff IMO.

200w (2).gif

I mean this country is run by a person too mentally unfit for the job, and it looks like it'll be 4 more years of this regardless of the result, so what you experienced is par for the course

TOqOM4.gif
4 more years? Look at Mr. Optimism over here.

I think there's a local TV commercial where you call and your stuttering is interpreted by someone who then says your shit in his own voice. Don't know how that works when the person you intend to call says stuff and you interrupt. There must be some lag. Probably a pay service.

Used to work in a shop which used a 7 digit numerical code for different items , so a particular toaster would be 421-1978 and another colour toaster 421-2156 and so on.

There were thousands of these items sold through a catalogue that people would look through then buy them .

The deputy stock room controller had a bad stutter so he wasn't let near the customers plus he hated them.

Now imagine a delivery comes in , hundreds of items , and it has to be checked off . One person yells out the number , another ticks it off . And this guy would often do the yelling out of the numbers and you didn't like to tell him no ... normally you'd do 50% , he'd do 50% .

F F F Four.....T T T Two....O.. O ..O.. One....

Incredibly frustrating.

Could have been someone that may have had some sort of incident that caused the stutter (brain injury), that caused the stutter, while employed there. The employer may be accommodating the employee through ADA (well, in the US).
I had a math teacher with a BAD stutter for honors algebra 2. Goddamn nightmare.

It's like great you overcame your fucking thing and now you do public speaking, good for you , but you SUCK AT TALKING and I have to try to learn reasonably complex math with this dipshit getting stuck in a loop every couple seconds.
Run yourself thru an algebra teacher randomly repeating numbers and letters while trying to teach or ask questions which you in turn have to answer...

Thankfully I am resourceful and I managed to pass the class by flirting with chicks who let me copy their homework and answers, but the experience was miserable.

Son of a bitch gave like 50 fucking problems each day for homework and required to show work and graded off if you didn't.

Asshole.

Noticing I am not the only one and this thread is turning into people complaining about stuttering.
I got nothing against anyone just don't do a job that your shit makes OTHER PEOPLE suffer. Build shit, fix shit, do something that doesn't require other people to understand you talking the entire time.

Last edited:
I'm color blind, and I work for a company that specializes in color. I find the situation quite ironic.

This is how I feel when I have to deal with Indians and tech support. I have to ask them to repeat themselves so much.
Use a chat prompt if possible...though some things get lost in translation there as well.

TOqOM4.gif
What do you mean? That very stable Trump person insists Obama is running the country. Do you not believe him? He knows what a whale, giraffe & tax evasion is on a test & has 2 genius boys.

8ea988272c3713d3873faec67efdfc3b.gif

4axvdp.gif

Those employees that stutter speak better English than the Philippines call centers for Banks.

Back