Media Petr Yan names top 3 smartest fighters in UFC history

If that’s even true probably because he was hung over. He was never even in any danger. He however had Gus rocked and having mini strokes for a half round after that.

What do you mean "if that's even true"? There are photos of Jones in a stretcher with Gus standing next to him, there's no denying that he was hospitalized after the fight. Being hung over isn't an excuse either because Jones said that he'd do this "a WEEK before EVERY fight". This means that whatever handicap he faced during the Gus fight was present in all previous fights that he dominated. And that's not even touching the topic of hangovers that somehow last a whole week...

What do you mean "if that's even true"? There are photos of Jones in a stretcher with Gus standing next to him, there's no denying that he was hospitalized after the fight. Being hung over isn't an excuse either because Jones said that he'd do this "a WEEK before EVERY fight". This means that whatever handicap he faced during the Gus fight was present in all previous fights that he dominated. And that's not even touching the topic of hangovers that somehow last a whole week...

Yes because like he had a really bad injury 4.5 months prior. He literally fought Gus pivoting on one good foot and won still. A very close fight but he was definitely not at his best that night. But please show me him puking? Because I’m pretty sure post fight they took weight off his bad foot and carried him back to the stretcher (which is smart). It’s not like Gus landed legs kicks or foot stomps that caused it, pre existing injury. Gus was jabbing him up but Jon is durable af and was never hurt. The eye cut was indeed a cut from the glove grazing soft tissue and Gus jabbed him up. Great fight.

I'd have to put GSP at #1. Khabib (Much like Silva in his prime) benefits from being outrageously skilled at a particular discipline. Being skilled and having high fight IQ isn't exactly the same thing. Not to say Khabib is not a smart fighter, but his gameplan doesn't have to be very complex. Whereas GSP wasn't the most skilled at any particular discipline, so he had to really use his fight IQ to get the victories based on the different fighting styles of his opponents. Jon Jones is in the same category, but imo Jones was a bit more skilled and had more physical advantages over his opponents than GSP.

I mean, if we're going to include people who aren't even in the UFC any more (Khabib and GSP) or are in limbo (Jones) you have to include DJ in the smartest list. One of the few fighters who actually listens to his coach during the fight and adapts very quickly

Reactions: HHJ
I mean, if we're going to include people who aren't even in the UFC any more (Khabib) or are in limbo (Jones) you have to include DJ in the smartest list. One of the few fighters who actually listens to his coach during the fight and adapts very quickly
Volkan came at DC guns blazing,but DC kept his cool,and waited him to slow down,as he must eventually do.

No. Fight IQ has to be measured by a fighters ability to adapt in a fight. Khabib never really had to do that. Jones on the other hand has beaten fighters in every position of a fight. There are a lot of fighters that have shown more fight IQ than Khabib. That’s not to say he doesn’t have it, but he’s always been able to impose his strength. He never had to adapt

It's kind of crazy how sensitive Khabib fans are. I like the guy as a fighter too but that doesn't mean he's above reproach. The guy was simply saying that Khabib was so good at what he did that he didn't need to show his fight iq and some of you guys are taking it as him saying Khabib sucks

I think it's the translation. "It" was referring to his pick - a pick is not a person, later he refers to Jones as "him". And "where he lost" I think was meant as "where he was losing" as in getting beat up or losing multiple rounds.

Google translate does this a lot, especially with Italian > English in my experience. It's the way pronouns are used in the English language that makes it all fucky, I believe.

“You can just say: St-Pierre, Khabib. It was even possible to put Khabib in the first place, since he never lost. In second place is St-Pierre, as he is a very intelligent athlete. He developed in all aspects.

"In third place, perhaps, is Jon Jones. I thought about it at first, I wanted to put it in first or second place. But he had fights where he lost and took a lot of damage,” Yan said at the RCC press conference.

https://ringside24.com/en/49069-yang-names-top-3-smartest-fighters-in-ufc-history
the reason he dosent put jon jones in first or second is dumb
didnt gsp actually lost 2 fight and had 1 or 2 figths were people arguing that he lost
and his last two fights (bisping and johny hendricks) he took more damage then jon jones in his entire carreer
I would understand because of roids he is not first
but his reason is dumb

He should include Sterling for taking his title by not actually beating him. That's over 9000 fight IQ
Aljo.gif
Still can’t believe this happened I was a fan of him too

Jon reminds me of Maradona….fucking brilliant competing but extremely dumb doing anything else.

I'd say khamzat over Khabib, Jon Jones, and gsp.
He's had like 3 minutes of fight time and like 4 fights? Lol how has he had enough time at all to warrant such an opinion? He's been put in zero situations that would reveal a high fight IQ

The fact that he said Khabib didn't lose so he's one of the smartest tells me he don't know shit. Khabib was good at what he did. That doesn't mean he's a smart fighter necessarily (and in my opinion he didn't show it out of necessity.) Fight intelligence for me is something like Rose taking down Weili in the 5th round which is something unexpected and won her the fight. Khabib shooting and taking you down the whole fight doesn't show good fight IQ it shows he's great at implementing his gameplan.

This could easily be reversed to Khabib fakes a TD to land and overhand and drop Conor.

I do agree though that it's mostly that he was just a very dominant guy on the mat, not so much superior IQ.

1. Jones
2. GSP
3. Cruz
4. Yan
Khabib in not even top-10

hmmmm hard to rank a top 3 in this but, GSP is number 1 for me, especially after listening to him on JRE talking about preparing for reaction times, and his stint as coach on TUF, he won a fight with fucking jabs, probably the most brilliant win I've seen, he switched up his plans well based on who he fought and his timing on takedowns are the best I have ever seen, Mighty Mouse is up there too

Back