Pettis vs. Dos Anjos-Striking analysis video podcast, The Clinch #15

AllKickboxing

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
[YT]ex5vfWMNv5Y[/YT]

Hey guys. Before UFC 185 tonight, check out the first video podcast we shot where we break down the striking techniques of Pettis and Dos Anjos. We discuss Pettis' evolution from an elusive pot-shotter to a solid kickboxer and Dos Anjos' formidable pressure fighting. If you find yourself daydreaming about the nitty gritty details of stand-up fighting, you'll definitely enjoy our show.

Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here and visit our website here. We're always open to your feedback on the show. Thank you!

Here's a timeline of the topics we discuss in the episode. We hope you enjoy.

3:00-Analyzing Anthony Pettis vs. Gilbert Melendez
9:00-Countering taller opponents
12:00-Analyzing Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Benson Henderson
20:40-Pettis' opposite stance striking/kicks
24:30-Pettis' growth as a striker since the WEC
30:20-Pettis adapting taekwondo for MMA
32:50-Rafael Cordeiro, Dos Anjos' coach, striking confidence
37:30-Pettis' improved head movement
41:10-Pettis' outside vs. inside angle tactics
51:50-Johny Hendricks vs. Matt Brown preview
55:35-Alistair Overeem vs. Roy Nelson preview
1:00:00-Breaking a fighter's spirit
1:02:25-Conclusion

can anyone tell me why Pettis was circling to RDA's left kick? i know circling inside allows you to slip the left cross into a better angle, but he just kept getting kicked. It was like he was expecting the left first before the kick, but RDA kicked then did the punch combos

lastly, there were 2 fights on the card which ended when both fighters were throwing left hooks in closed position and the faster hook won. Does that just happen all the time lol

ill check out parts of the podcast tomorrow (its late), but you guys should consider a post-fight analysis of the techniques

[YT]ex5vfWMNv5Y[/YT]

Hey guys. Before UFC 185 tonight, check out the first video podcast we shot where we break down the striking techniques of Pettis and Dos Anjos. We discuss Pettis' evolution from an elusive pot-shotter to a solid kickboxer and Dos Anjos' formidable pressure fighting. If you find yourself daydreaming about the nitty gritty details of stand-up fighting, you'll definitely enjoy our show.

Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here and visit our website here. We're always open to your feedback on the show. Thank you!

Yo, if possible you guys should try to post a little sooner before the fights. By the time I saw this post the event was already going on. I'm still gonna watch it, but it would be cool to be able to before the fights.

can anyone tell me why Pettis was circling to RDA's left kick? i know circling inside allows you to slip the left cross into a better angle, but he just kept getting kicked. It was like he was expecting the left first before the kick, but RDA kicked then did the punch combos

lastly, there were 2 fights on the card which ended when both fighters were throwing left hooks in closed position and the faster hook won. Does that just happen all the time lol

ill check out parts of the podcast tomorrow (its late), but you guys should consider a post-fight analysis of the techniques

Dos Anjos is actually really dangerous with his right hook and switch kicks. Has a fantastic jab too. Plus Pettis sets his offense up from the inside angle. That's where his feints work the best so that he can get his kicks going. Finally, it can be a little easier to create distance circling towards the opponent's rear foot than towards their lead. Pettis' problem was that he couldn't stop RDA from walking forward. He tried kicking moving backwards and still landed some solid ones, but he couldn't hurt RDA with them. He barely jabbed, then when he did he got countered hard. That left him pretty much only throwing his right hand, which he likes to set up from that inside angle. But RDA was the one controlling distance--pressing forward constantly but able to pull out of range after landing a shot, then continue his assault. So Pettis kept eating kicks and big punches. He landed some solid counter rights in return, but he was losing the war. When he did try to circle to dos Anjos' right, his footwork wasn't good. It was movement just for the sake of movement, whereas when he circled towards dos Anjos' left he was looking to set traps.

The truth is that the things that lost Pettis the fight have been parts of his style for years. He got beat trying to do what he does best. He was made to look limited, and that's what he always has been honestly. He does a few very specific things very well, and is an extremely dangerous finisher. That's allowed him to beat top competition despite the fact that he's only particularly dangerous with his rear side, and when he's circling towards that side. RDA is an extremely tough matchup for Pettis because he's the first guy Pettis has fought who can come forward constantly with good defense while attacking. In short, Pettis was expecting to walk dos Anjos into traps and out box him. RDA cut off the cage, controlled distance, picked his shots well, put on the pressure intelligently, and thoroughly dominated Pettis.

Lol yea, that's one of the most common situations for a knockout to occur. It's where the phrase "don't hook with a hooker" comes from.

Agree about the posting time, I didnt see it til after the fight.

Was most impressed with RDA's kicks. The one thing people thought for sure Pettis had on him was kicks. He applied intelligent pressure. It was a very good performance.

Dos Anjos is actually really dangerous with his right hook and switch kicks. Has a fantastic jab too. Plus Pettis sets his offense up from the inside angle. That's where his feints work the best so that he can get his kicks going. Finally, it can be a little easier to create distance circling towards the opponent's rear foot than towards their lead. Pettis' problem was that he couldn't stop RDA from walking forward. He tried kicking moving backwards and still landed some solid ones, but he couldn't hurt RDA with them. He barely jabbed, then when he did he got countered hard. That left him pretty much only throwing his right hand, which he likes to set up from that inside angle. But RDA was the one controlling distance--pressing forward constantly but able to pull out of range after landing a shot, then continue his assault. So Pettis kept eating kicks and big punches. He landed some solid counter rights in return, but he was losing the war. When he did try to circle to dos Anjos' right, his footwork wasn't good. It was movement just for the sake of movement, whereas when he circled towards dos Anjos' left he was looking to set traps.

The truth is that the things that lost Pettis the fight have been parts of his style for years. He got beat trying to do what he does best. He was made to look limited, and that's what he always has been honestly. He does a few very specific things very well, and is an extremely dangerous finisher. That's allowed him to beat top competition despite the fact that he's only particularly dangerous with his rear side, and when he's circling towards that side. RDA is an extremely tough matchup for Pettis because he's the first guy Pettis has fought who can come forward constantly with good defense while attacking. In short, Pettis was expecting to walk dos Anjos into traps and out box him. RDA cut off the cage, controlled distance, picked his shots well, put on the pressure intelligently, and thoroughly dominated Pettis.

Lol yea, that's one of the most common situations for a knockout to occur. It's where the phrase "don't hook with a hooker" comes from.

great analysis. its interesting that Pettis sets up traps from the inside. Melendez/Guida set the blueprint, but they didnt have the same offensive weapons as RDA to dominate everywhere.

interesting phrase, gotta remember that one lol

great analysis. its interesting that Pettis sets up traps from the inside. Melendez/Guida set the blueprint, but they didnt have the same offensive weapons as RDA to dominate everywhere.

In my opinion it wasn't the offensive weapons, it was the defensive responsibility while attacking that set RDA apart. The offensive weapons made a big difference, but it was his ability to avoid big shots and counter Pettis that enabled those weapons.

What do you mean by setting up traps? I did not watch. Only read the synopsis on sherdog. I want a rematch though. I believe it was a close fight though. I think Pettis deserves one.

What do you mean by setting up traps? I did not watch. Only read the synopsis on sherdog. I want a rematch though. I believe it was a close fight though. I think Pettis deserves one.

Yea...you need to watch the fight. Dos Anjos landed something like twice as many significant strikes, took Pettis down 9 times, wobbled him several times, nearly submitted him with a kimura, kept pressuring him the entire time and thoroughly dismantled him. Pettis got beat up. He does not deserve a rematch. This was his second title defense, it's not like when Silva or Barao got upset. The last thing lightweight needs is more rematches clogging up the title. It's time for guys like Nurmagomedov and Johnson to challenge RDA. Hopefully Alvarez, Ferguson and Iaquinta get into the mix too. Pettis can get in line, and I'm a huge Pettis fan.

Hi roventu. Thank you for checking out our show. Yes, moving forward, we will post our preview podcasts in advance of the fights. As far as a post-fight analysis podcast of RDA vs. Pettis goes, we unfortunately won't have time to record it. Instead, if you are a big Glory kickboxing fan, we WILL shoot a post-fight breakdown of Robin Van Roosmalen vs. Andy Ristie after their title fight in Glory 20. We hope you enjoy that episode as well. Again, thank you for your support and suggestion and keep on tuning in! -Jimin from AllKickboxing

Yo, if possible you guys should try to post a little sooner before the fights. By the time I saw this post the event was already going on. I'm still gonna watch it, but it would be cool to be able to before the fights.

Hi again a guy. Yes, moving forward, we will post our preview podcasts in advance of the fights. Thank you for checking out our show and for the great post-fight analysis of RDA vs. Pettis. -Jimin from AllKickboxing

Yea...you need to watch the fight. Dos Anjos landed something like twice as many significant strikes, took Pettis down 9 times, wobbled him several times, nearly submitted him with a kimura, kept pressuring him the entire time and thoroughly dismantled him. Pettis got beat up. He does not deserve a rematch. This was his second title defense, it's not like when Silva or Barao got upset. The last thing lightweight needs is more rematches clogging up the title. It's time for guys like Nurmagomedov and Johnson to challenge RDA. Hopefully Alvarez, Ferguson and Iaquinta get into the mix too. Pettis can get in line, and I'm a huge Pettis fan.

I guess you are right, and considering how many title defenses he missed out on because he cannot stay healthy.

[YT]ex5vfWMNv5Y[/YT]

I absolutely love that you guys are doing MMA podcasts and it is enjoyable. That said I'd like to give you guys some feedback so you get the popularity you deserve. Please don't be discouraged by anything I say, it is just my opinion given for your consideration. In no particular order:

Ricardo might feel more comfortable talking if you guys were slightly further apart or angled in such a way he can spend most of his time talking to you instead of staring at the camera. Also he may want to warm up his voice before the video so his voice naturally projects better. This would also be solved by a better microphone/microphone setup, which would eliminate the background static as well. I'm sure you guys would do this if you easily could so I understand dealing with what you've got.

A better backdrop, or an organization of the wall behind you that is more aesthetically pleasing would help hold the interest of those who are actually going to watch the video and not play it in the background. This seems dumb and I certainly don't care personally, it's just a part of presentation that people appreciate even when they don't realize it.

I love that you guys don't go over the top with your personalities. I also love that you took the time to give time signatures for different relevant portions. It's also a good idea to talk about some of the things you're going to cover and maybe come up with something else that we can look forward to in the video. Typically this would be an interview but if you could even find an interesting story about one of the fighters or anything really, you could allude to it at the beginning and that sets us up for a long and fruitful journey.

I'm feeling OCD right now for reasons I'll keep to myself so I apologize if this comes off any sort of way.

Thanks for the content!

EDIT: By the way I watched the whole thing and I want to say that you're a really great host and speaker. I subscribed

Last edited:
Hi again a guy. Yes, moving forward, we will post our preview podcasts in advance of the fights. Thank you for checking out our show and for the great post-fight analysis of RDA vs. Pettis. -Jimin from AllKickboxing

Cool, thanks Jimin! I enjoyed the show. You know what might be cool? If you guys did a little bit more with live demonstrations. Like if both of you get up and show what you're talking about, you could get more out of the video.

I did not watch. Only read the synopsis on sherdog. I want a rematch though. I believe it was a close fight though. I think Pettis deserves one.

lolwut?

how about watching a fight first before demanding an immediate rematch? stop taking the word of other people and make your own judgement.

DanHardyKOd.gif

I absolutely love that you guys are doing MMA podcasts and it is enjoyable. That said I'd like to give you guys some feedback so you get the popularity you deserve. Please don't be discouraged by anything I say, it is just my opinion given for your consideration. In no particular order:

Ricardo might feel more comfortable talking if you guys were slightly further apart or angled in such a way he can spend most of his time talking to you instead of staring at the camera. Also he may want to warm up his voice before the video so his voice naturally projects better. This would also be solved by a better microphone/microphone setup, which would eliminate the background static as well. I'm sure you guys would do this if you easily could so I understand dealing with what you've got.

A better backdrop, or an organization of the wall behind you that is more aesthetically pleasing would help hold the interest of those who are actually going to watch the video and not play it in the background. This seems dumb and I certainly don't care personally, it's just a part of presentation that people appreciate even when they don't realize it.

I love that you guys don't go over the top with your personalities. I also love that you took the time to give time signatures for different relevant portions. It's also a good idea to talk about some of the things you're going to cover and maybe come up with something else that we can look forward to in the video. Typically this would be an interview but if you could even find an interesting story about one of the fighters or anything really, you could allude to it at the beginning and that sets us up for a long and fruitful journey.

I'm feeling OCD right now for reasons I'll keep to myself so I apologize if this comes off any sort of way.

Thanks for the content!

EDIT: By the way I watched the whole thing and I want to say that you're a really great host and speaker. I subscribed

Thank you Negative Zero! We really appreciate such a well-thought-out reply. Yes, we can definitely take your ideas into consideration, especially adjusting our seated positioning and giving viewers a discussion topic to look forward to at the start of the show. Thank you for subscribing! We hope you keep on tuning in and enjoy our next episode where we'll do a post-fight analysis of Robin Van Roosmalen vs. Andy Ristie after their Glory 20 kickboxing championship match. Always feel free to give us your thoughts on the show. Cheers. -Jimin from AllKickboxing

Cool, thanks Jimin! I enjoyed the show. You know what might be cool? If you guys did a little bit more with live demonstrations. Like if both of you get up and show what you're talking about, you could get more out of the video.

Hi James. I think that's a great idea. For our next episode where we'll do a post-fight analysis of Andy Ristie vs. Robin Van Roosmalen II after Glory 20, we plan to demonstrate the unorthodox stance-switching of Ristie in the video podcast. I've really been enjoying your work on Bloody Elbow lately, especially your analysis of Brandon Thatch before he fought Henderson. As always, feel free to give us more feedback and thank you for checking out The Clinch! -Jimin

Hi James. I think that's a great idea. For our next episode where we'll do a post-fight analysis of Andy Ristie vs. Robin Van Roosmalen II after Glory 20, we plan to demonstrate the unorthodox stance-switching of Ristie in the video podcast. I've really been enjoying your work on Bloody Elbow lately, especially your analysis of Brandon Thatch before he fought Henderson. As always, feel free to give us more feedback and thank you for checking out The Clinch! -Jimin

Sweet, I look forward to it. And thanks!

I really like the video format. Even if I am running it in the background, it shifts perspective and makes it more interesting.

I haven't followed you guys or listened to a full episode before this. I feel perhaps the lenght threw me off. I have to say though, very good stuff.

Seeing this after the fight only lends credibilty to your work. Good analysis and understanding. I'm surprised. Once again it's proof that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. What are your backgrounds in MA/MMA? That being said, while I definitely feel the video format is a improvement, you should think about ways to sharpen up production and perhaps introduce other variables. The posters before me had some good suggestions that might work.

Personality wise you guys seem slightly introvert. I personally like it and find it endearing and I don't think you should strive to change that. Obviously confidence will grow simultaniously with the product, but I think you could carve out a nice niche with your style. Good content and I enjoy the thoughtful discussions!

Good luck guys and keep it up!

Back