Picture of very strange looking roundhouse kick (sanshou)

Frode Falch

Steel Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
4213948.jpg

That probably was an attempted ax kick. The angle looks all wrong for a roundhouse.

That guy has great flexibility.

I thought at first it was just a roundhouse that his opponent stepped deep into, on second glance I see its the positioning of his left foot. Can't imagine you'd get a lot of force with a positioning like that but I'm no expert.

looks more like a sidekick or frontkick attempt.

Yeah but it look like he hit him one the side of the face.

That probably was an attempted ax kick. The angle looks all wrong for a roundhouse.
I'd be inclined to agree. It looks as though the guy threw the axe kick and his opponent stepped inside of it or something, hence the calf over the shoulder.

It's Sanda, so I'm guessing missed sidekick to the face. His body isn't turned over enough but, you know those kung fu guys...

Isn't that Liu Hailong, by the way?

Maybe. But most sanda guys tend to lean back when doing a lead leg sidekick.

I learned a way of doing a round house off of some Kyokushin videos that were posted on here a while back.

From a conventional stance and your partner standing at 12 O'clock, you chamber your rear leg at 3 O'clock while starting the pivot like normal. You end up maxing out the power earlier in the arc while getting your leg up higher, earlier, so that you can throw a snap shin kick from inside punching distance without piking.

For MMA sparring, it simultaneously feels dangerous for me (getting bowled over or thrown) and dangerous for them (ducking their own head into a very strong shin kick) which makes me wary of using it, but I have a few times and it feels good to hit with.

Maybe. But most sanda guys tend to lean back when doing a lead leg sidekick.

Well, they tend to turn their body over and use the gluts in their sidekicks. So they have to lean back in order to do that.

But if that is Hailong, well, he threw some weird shit:

Looks like a funky sidekick to me too. A photo only captures a moment in time though, so it might just be a weird transitional movement during the course of the kick.

Back