Multiplatform Pilots! Let's talk space/flight sims.

Mack Yancy

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anything were you sit in a cockpit and go pew pew with guns, lasers missles etc. Hell let's even throw in submarines if you that way inclined. Any level of realism from Wing Commander to Il2 Sturmovik.

Strike_commander.jpg
MV5BNDQyYzMyMjctODcyMy00NmZmLWEzZTUtMmFkNDM3Y2QyMGYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_.jpg
513ETWCBB2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Independence_War_Deluxe.jpg

Star Wars Squadrons was a decent shooter (and always like 95% off) and I am gonna hopefully try Chorvs this weekend looks dope. Will report on it once I get around to it.

Star Wars Squadrons was a decent shooter (and always like 95% off) and I am gonna hopefully try Chorvs this weekend looks dope. Will report on it once I get around to it.
Chorvs is fine but it lacks that special something.

Actually trying Freespace 2 for the first time today.

Ace Combat franchise. Wide selection of real life planes and special weapons, as well as fictional weapons. The PS3 free to play game had the feel of speed and high G turning.

Remember the Jane's PC games EA kept cranking out in the 90s? This was probably my favorite. They were supposed to make an A10 Warthog game but it got cancelled.

519PAXJSK4L.jpg

Remember the Jane's PC games EA kept cranking out in the 90s? This was probably my favorite. They were supposed to make an A10 Warthog game but it got cancelled.

519PAXJSK4L.jpg
That doesn't shock me. They realised the number of people who would fly an A10 by choice and realized it wasn't worth the development time.

Ace Combat franchise. Wide selection of real life planes and special weapons, as well as fictional weapons. The PS3 free to play game had the feel of speed and high G turning.
The planes might as well be ficitional with the way the game's mechanics work.

Anything were you sit in a cockpit and go pew pew with guns, lasers missles etc. Hell let's even throw in submarines if you that way inclined. Any level of realism from Wing Commander to Il2 Sturmovik.

Strike_commander.jpg
MV5BNDQyYzMyMjctODcyMy00NmZmLWEzZTUtMmFkNDM3Y2QyMGYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_.jpg
513ETWCBB2L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Independence_War_Deluxe.jpg
cool thread. I used to be into Wing Commamder, Freespace etc. back in the day. I remember playing Tachyon and it just didnt click. I vaguely remember some characters having deep southern accents in that.

What's your complaint with which game in the Ace Combat franchise?
The games are extremely unrealistic. It's not a complaint, just a fact.

Flying an F-22 in that game feels more like flying an X-Wing than any real aircraft.

The games are extremely unrealistic. It's not a complaint, just a fact.

Flying an F-22 in that game feels more like flying an X-Wing than any real aircraft.
I never played Ace Combat Assault Horizon, but I read many times it's "on rails" and not like the normal Ace Combat flight. The best flight was in Ace Combat Infinity where you had some sensation of speed/acceleration/high G turns/airbrakes.

The game wouldn't be as fun if you only had like 4 missiles each sortie.

I never played Ace Combat Assault Horizon, but I read many times it's "on rails" and not like the normal Ace Combat flight. The best flight was in Ace Combat Infinity where you had some sensation of speed/acceleration/high G turns/airbrakes.

The game wouldn't be as fun if you only had like 4 missiles each sortie.

The fact you can pull the high g turns in infinity kind of just furthers my point.

And fun is super subjective here. Ace combat is popular but so are realistic flight sims. It's a spectrum of how arcade-like you want your experience to be.
After_Burner_II.jpg

The fact you can pull the high g turns in infinity kind of just furthers my point.

And fun is super subjective here. Ace combat is popular but so are realistic flight sims. It's a spectrum of how arcade-like you want your experience to be.
View attachment 1042970
I cannot imagine Sega Genesis After Burner II which I never played can compare to PS3 or higher Ace Combat.

I cannot imagine Sega Genesis After Burner II which I never played can compare to PS3 or higher Ace Combat.

I'm making a point about a sliding scale of realism with flight games. Afterburner is on the very far end of the arcade spectrutm but people still found it fun.

Also it did have a sequel on ps3

Icon-abc.png

Back