Planning to miss weight as an intelligent strategy

Goon Dog

DiMeo Family Enforcer
@Silver
Reaction score
Up front, I think ABC should've declined the fight and Dern should be forced to 125 for at least one fight. But I honestly think the weight miss was intentional, calculated and damned effective (especially since fighters can't re hydrate with IV fluids).

You just don't miss by that much. That isn't a miss, that's a plan. Dern was able to fully recover from camp, experienced no diet gyrations, no weight cut dehydration and was able to collect 70% of her purse for fighting someone a full weight class below her who had gone through the cutting process. She's catching some shit for the miss, but she's also catching just as much praise for her victory.

I know this isn't exactly Dick Fucking Tracy, but my point is she played the rules, or more specifically their laxness, to her advantage. The rules need to change. The UFC needs to impose tougher restrictions. Maybe s/he should forfeit 75% of their purse and be forced to compete in one fight at a heavier class before being allowed to cut back to their previous weight class? I don't know, but the org needs to take decisive action.

My kinda weight cut

L5VuQeF.jpg

Up front, I think ABC should've declined the fight and Dern should be forced to 125 for at least one fight. But I honestly think the weight miss was intentional, calculated and damned effective (especially since fighters can't re hydrate with IV fluids).

You just don't miss by that much. That isn't a miss, that's a plan. Dern was able to fully recover from camp, experienced no diet gyrations, no weight cut dehydration and was able to collect 70% of her purse for fighting someone a full weight class below her who had gone through the cutting process. She's catching some shit for the miss, but she's also catching just as much praise for her victory.

I know this isn't exactly Dick Fucking Tracy, but my point is she played the rules, or more specifically their laxness, to her advantage. The rules need to change. The UFC needs to impose tougher restrictions. Maybe s/he should forfeit 75% of their purse and be forced to compete in one fight at a heavier class before being allowed to cut back to their previous weight class? I don't know, but the org needs to take decisive action.
im with you, it definitely needs to be more harsh. 75% sounds good to me.

Need stricter punishments for missing weight, especially if its more than a pound or so.

Highest level planning occurs at the Performance Institute

96f3y9z.jpg

Og9ojnn.jpg

who said she did it intentionally I have not read that nowhere except people speculating and that is not worth a bucket of dog shit.

I won’t blame any fighter for declining a fight when his opponent misses weight.

On top of the purse cut they should start the fight with one point deduction.

who said she did it intentionally I have not read that nowhere except people speculating and that is not worth a bucket of dog shit.
She never made any attempt to cut further. Seems rather obvious to me. If she wasn't fit to cut weight due to health reasons - she would n't be fit to step into the octagon PERIOD. She just went at 123, because she knows that there won;t be any repercussions and she probably has enough sponsors to cover any fine, so she didn't care about that. Maybe she thinks MMA weight classes are just for haha's and don't mean anything

She's got that Yvel / Romero mentality where you cheat in the most obvious ways, but subtly enough that you can get away with it every time.

It's hard to imagine an actual professional being 8 pounds over and not realising at some stage they weren't going to make it. I don't believe for a second that it was a shock to her on the actual day.

I'm willing to downgrade my speculation to: she noticed she wasn't going to make the weight, then decided to make the best of it and just get below 125lb.

As you say, it gave her a significant advantage and she didn't have to kill herself failing to make weight. Maybe a higher punishment for each pound over weight?

She didn't try to cut weight. I don't consider this a legitimate win. She should receive no show money, and only 50% of win bonus, and she should be banned from the weight class and forced to fight at 125 or above.

Stricter penalties.

30% of your pay off the top then 10% for every pound over.

This whole dern this is fucking ridiculous

I'm also of the opinion that she did not even try to make weight after a certain point - like the beginning of camp.

Good lord she was flabby at weigh ins and had fucking rolls jiggling out all over during the fight

No one officially said it, But they are assuming since it was such a large miss. She also didn't look depleted in fact she looked down right jolly. IMO

and she should be banned from the weight class and forced to fight at 125 or above.
Totally agree. I like Dern, but I think we need to stay consistent - other serial weight failers (Hendricks, Rumble Johnson etc) were forced to move up and Dern needs to also. She misses at 125 and she's up to 135 - again just like Johnson.

Stricter penalties.

30% of your pay off the top then 10% for every pound over.
Being a pound over at Heavyweight is not the same as being a pound over at Strawweight.

30% for the first 1% over and 1% of their purse for every additional 0.1% over.

Dern weighed 123 lbs, with the limit being 116 lbs, which equals to being 5.7% over the limit; she would lose 77% of her purse. That might sound high, but percentage-wise she has the record for being the most over the weight limit in the history of the UFC.

Being a pound over at Heavyweight is not the same as being a pound over at Strawweight.

Dern weighed 123 lbs, with the limit being 116 lbs, which equals to being 5.7% over the limit; she would lose 77% of her purse. That might sound high, but percentage-wise she has the record for being the most over the weight limit in the history of the UFC.
Either way they need to crack down on this ASAP - this is becoming a joke.

I'd like something harsher, like you have to fight for only $5-8k show base pay and can only win 50% of win bonus with the remainder going to the challenger that made weight as show $.

I said it in another thread, when someone is getting that UFC push, stuff like missing weight gets swept under the rug. If ABC missed weight by 7-8 pounds they would have called the fight or worse, but her.

Dern is the next in line for the UFC hype machine so she gets a pass.

Back