Pocket Sweep from Half Guard

Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Note** The beginning of this video I talk about teaching and the difficulties of being an instructor. I also talk about a good training partner and how this technique fits into the larger picture of hand placement. If you do not want to hear about the teaching process and this aspect of the technique then you should fast forward to the technique demonstration.

In this video I show a version of the pocket sweep from the Half Guard. This is by far my highest percentage sweep and I use it, and it's variations as the basis of my Half Guard game.

Hand placement is going to be important as well as arching to clear the arm. This is a peek at part of the series where I show how to get the arm across from a very specific location. There were other lessons that fill in the holes when you can't get ahold of the hand like it is shown in this video.

Great technique and explanation of a coach's mentality. I agree that students need to be more cognitive on how they're reactions must be in-line with the techniques being drilled. It is a good lesson in being present while training and optimizing their learning on the mats.

Thank you for sharing all that you do. I also appreciate when you talk about different topics on your videos.

Oh that's what I've been doing! I started messing with 2-on-1s from the near side in half-guard a few months ago and that sweep appeared by itself.

There are only 3 steps for me though: 1. get a 2-on-1 and pretend to go for the back, even though you'd be too lazy to do it if you could, so the guy hugs you. 2. hug him back 3. dump him and enjoy your victory.

Really cool technique.

I get into that position all the time.

It reminds me of the darce killer sweep where you catch their hand and slide your hips underneath in the same way.

This has tons of potential for me. To think of all the times I've gone up with a guy in that position in gi and been powered bombed back down until I could shake him lose for another move, when I could have been trying to do this.

I'm going to dig my gi out this week and work on it.

Back