News Police: Woman Pumped $28K in Free Gas via Sneaky Glitch

It's the company's fault. She should get charged for the 500-700 gas sale. The rest should not be blamed on her.

She definitely stole but that station could have easily caught it sooner by rectifying their inventory

I lived in a small apt complex in the northwest while going to school. The previous tenants of the bungalow whom my gf knew had a key to unlock the washer and dryer machines on the premises that they passed down to us. We could do laundry for free, it was great.

I started HS in 1993, several weeks early for Football season, and within the first day or two of practice someone came back after the morning session with his t-shirt turned into a makeshift bag, and filled with Peach snapple.

There were vending machines in the cafeteria, one of them a drink machine which dispensed cold cans of Gatorade and snapple

Prices were as follows

Regular Gatorade $0.85
Red Gatorade $0.85
Lemon Snapple $0.85
Raspberry Snapple $0.85
Peach Snapple $0.15

So for $1 you would get SIX cold cans of Peach snapple. And after playing 2-3 hours of football in August heat... man that cold can of Peach snapple tasted like the nectar of the gods.

30+ years later and I still LOVE Peach snapple and prefer it in a can if possible. Something about the can for that specific drink actually tastes better to me, thought presumably via conditioning.

And the glitch stayed like that for my whole freshman year if I remember correctly.

Should have made some dummy rewards accounts

Oh well, she wasn’t slick to get away with it

Had a similar situation at a local 7-11. You would pay with a debit card, enter your pin, then cancel the transaction. The pump would remain active and you could fill up without getting charged. Was a couple months before they fixed the glitch.

This is #1 Bullshit!

She should not be arrested for exploiting the glitch. It's the fault of the gas station for allowing it to happen.

The biggest mistake she made was letting someone else know about it because I wouldn't be surprised that the way the gas station found out about it because of some jelly snitch ass motherfucker called in an anonymous tip.
Just because there's a glitch doesn't relieve someone of the knowledge gas is charged at a certain price, and they are evading that cost. That's theft.

She got what she deserved.

It wouldn’t be as bad if she just didn’t get greedy and start selling people gas lol.

I don’t have any sympathy for her. She flew way too close to the sun and got burned.
Just be happy with free gas and fill up your tank once a week. Not more than once a day at 500 times a year

These threads do a good job of separating Sherbro's in to two groups; Empoyers and employee's.

It wouldn’t be as bad if she just didn’t get greedy and start selling people gas lol.

I don’t have any sympathy for her. She flew way too close to the sun and got burned.
Just be happy with free gas and fill up your tank once a week. Not more than once a day at 500 times a year

This. It's why a lot of embezzlers get caught, or other low grade in- house thefts. If she'd kept her cool she might never have been caught, just like the people who steal hundreds of thousands of dollars from their places of work would have gotten away with it if they'd kept their numbers down.

Fuck the oil companies, those gas stations make all their money from the items sold in their store, they make almost nothing from the gasoline. I think it's great she got to fuck them over.

Similarly, there’s an atm near me that occasionally messes up when i deposit money, i may put in 1000 large, it’ll return me 100 and say that it can only accept the 1000 of the bills i put in…. My lucky ATM, it’s happened a few times spanning over some years…..

Seems like I’ll be going to jail soon

Admirable entrepreneurial spirit, sounds like a good, enterprising, american. My heart doesn't bleed for oil companies. Slap her wrist and be done with it.
To be fair, the oil company didn't get fucked over, it was station owner.

But yeah, I don't think she should get in too much trouble... Maybe make her pay the station back for the gas and that's about it.

Fuck the oil companies, those gas stations make all their money from the items sold in their store, they make almost nothing from the gasoline. I think it's great she got to fuck them over.
I agree, fuck the oil companies but 99.5 percent of gas stations in the US are independently owned.

Yep. Most of them are small businesses, and the gasoline is either a loss leader, or a break even product to get people into the stores, where they make a killing on drinks and snacks.

I agree, fuck the oil companies but 99.5 percent of gas stations in the US are independently owned.

She was selling this "service" which is probably how she got caught.

She'd put like $100 of gas in your truck and you'd pay her $60 in cash or whatever. Win-win for both parties.

But she screwed up by doing that. I bet the gas station noticed that they had not enough money for how much gas was missing, so they dug deeper.

If she just used it for her own driving and never sold gas to anyone else, she probably could've had free gas for a few years until they upgraded the software. The gas totals wouldn't be off by enough for the gas station to investigate.
Ah. I figured she was doing something like that given the shear volume.

I wonder if she even had to actually sign up for the card. A lot of those places you can take the card off and never even fill out the thing and they’ll still work. I’ll bet she could have done this anonymously and didn’t know any better. Anyways, I don’t feel bad for her if she was selling it. Getting some free gas and sticking it to the man is one thing, but reselling it is greasy

Back