Poll: Should Lewis Be Blamed For Those Shots, or Should Herb? Or Should No One?

Lewis's Fault, Dean's Fault, or no one is at fault?

• Total voters
No one. I give Herb shit often, but he’s not clairvoyant and these are two big ass dudes. Imo he did what he could. Derrick followed up in a way I’ve seen tons of times, not everyone can turn off the switch immediately, I don’t think there was anything too unusual about it.

As for the post fight antics, we’re talking about Black Beast... he has an idgaf joker attitude about almost anything he does. I don’t have a problem with it either because I don’t see it as malicious, and I doubt a shadow realm’d Curtis cared anyway. In the post fight presser he was more serious and said he was glad Curtis got up and was OK.

People are forgetting Francis basically did the exact same thing, only the ref jumped in a little quicker. I don’t remember there being a lot of controversy about that one.

20f2x4.gif
Agreed on all counts

Between the time that Blaydes is visibly unconscious to the fight being stopped is like a second maybe a second and a half tops. IMO there is nothing wrong with the stoppage or with what Lewis did. It's unfortunate that Blaydes was KOed for so long and it would have been nice if Lewis stopped one or two punches sooner but it happens in MMA all the time.

i missed the fights and just watched them now. wtf are people crying about. herb didnt do anything wrong, and neither did lewis. cmon people

Between the time that Blaydes is visibly unconscious to the fight being stopped is like a second maybe a second and a half tops. IMO there is nothing wrong with the stoppage or with what Lewis did. It's unfortunate that Blaydes was KOed for so long and it would have been nice if Lewis stopped one or two punches sooner but it happens in MMA all the time.
it was as normal a stoppage as you ever see.

Gotta let the ref do his job, lest Blaydes get up try to take BB down again, lay on him and hump his leg for the remainder of the fight. You have to be sure to prevent what that fight could have been. Good job Black Beast.

Literally just two extra shots, and only one of them landed. The shot doesn't bother me, but that it's considered a big deal does.

No blame on TS; sounds like he's just trying to add perspective.

Both.

Love Lewis, I was happy he won. But in your heart of hearts when you know someone is out, don't even fuck with the ref....just stop. FTR: yes I’ve fought and yes I’ve KO’d someone.

Hindsight is 20/20. Lewis is a good guy, I believe that. Maybe next time he won’t and I’m sure there will be a next time.
There have been plenty of fighters who "walked away" after their opponent was obviously KO-ed, with Mark Hunt having the signature walk-away. But as Derrick said in the post-fight press conference: "I can't just turn the switch off just like that...I know some fighters can do that but I can't do that...you never know what can happen....anything can happen...he could turn into Undertaker and sit straight up....you never know, so you gotta keep going till the referee says chill out."

I like Lewis as well and think he's a good dude, but one of these days somebody's gonna get killed or suffer permanent severe head trauma because of one of those unnecessary H bombs, and then the UFC will be fucked. Well, maybe not ultimately, but it will be the blackest of black marks on the sport.

Derrick and others had better become conditioned to turn off that switch because unless they're psychopaths they do not want a death or permanent injury on their consciences. Fighters can seemingly turn off the switch before the ref steps in based on their opponents's reaction after poking them in the eye or striking them in the balls, so why can't they do that after a KO...

Blaydes was obviously not going to rise up like the Undertaker, but that's easy for me to say from my armchair.

Last edited:
i got an idea, lets setup an event where people fight each other to a knockout then cry when someone gets hurt or knocked out from pure human instinct. what exactly do people think is going to happen, perfect stoppages every time?

I know it’s the rules and fight until you’re stopped, but man how can you throw two giant haymakers into the face of a guy whose clearly already out

This isn't a poll to say whether or not the punches were necessary, there's already one for that. This is for those who are looking for someone to blame.

I'm of the opinion it is what it is. That's what Lewis is there to do. Dean could've been closer, but he got there as fast as he could. Trying to blame Dean after the fact seemed like typical Black Beast behavior, trying to play it off in his usual not so serious tone. I've also heard he said that because Blaydes's team gave him shit for it immediately after, but I haven't seen that.

I'm not passing judgement of Lewis for that, and frankly I think we've seen worse cheap shots. Askren vs Masvidal and Henderson vs Bisping come to mind.

Even Blachowicz has done it to Anderson, who pretty much everyone agrees is an all around great guy. Anderson was definitely fucking out, but Blachowicz wasn't sure in that moment. I'm gonna give Lewis the benefit of the doubt.
Well, he did say in the interview that he knew he was stiff as a board after he landed the upper cut and had time to think to himself "ohh that's cool" lol

a guy whose clearly already out

You boneheads need to knock this off. Blaydes was bent over, face down, and a low undercut will never have anything near full power. When you can't see someone's face and eyes, you have no idea if he was knocked out. BB was REQUIRED to continue hitting Blaydes to be sure he was knocked out. And even one more might not have been enough.

Idiots. Go find a different sport to watch.

Herb was out of position. No way he should be almost on the complete other side of the cage when reffing a fight between two big monsters. But also, he ran over there quickly but when he got there, there was a slight hesitation to grab Lewis and that resulted in one more GNP coffin nail landing.

On the other hand, BB knew he was out and wanted to spark him out in the most devastating fashion possible. That's the kind of fighter he is. Just like Dan Henderson. Never thinks "I better not hurt this guy more." He wants to obliterate his opponent.

I thought Henderson vs Bisping was worse, tbh. Henderson looked down, saw Bisping was laid out, and essentially elbow dropped him but without the elbow. Lewis vs Blaydes happened so much faster.
Hendo’s one was deliberate, he admited doing it in purpose because he hated Bisping.

Among the many things that people forget is that this is a job. These guys get paid to fight, they get paid to win, they get paid to have brutal knockouts. And guys have come back from seeming defeat many times.

We've seen it in Herb Dean fights THIS MONTH where the fighter stops because they think the fight is over and Herb didn't stop it.

I feel bad for Blaydes, but as the bald one would say, "It's part of the gig".

This isn't a poll to say whether or not the punches were necessary, there's already one for that. This is for those who are looking for someone to blame.

I'm of the opinion it is what it is. That's what Lewis is there to do. Dean could've been closer, but he got there as fast as he could. Trying to blame Dean after the fact seemed like typical Black Beast behavior, trying to play it off in his usual not so serious tone. I've also heard he said that because Blaydes's team gave him shit for it immediately after, but I haven't seen that.

I'm not passing judgement of Lewis for that, and frankly I think we've seen worse cheap shots. Askren vs Masvidal and Henderson vs Bisping come to mind.

Even Blachowicz has done it to Anderson, who pretty much everyone agrees is an all around great guy. Anderson was definitely fucking out, but Blachowicz wasn't sure in that moment. I'm gonna give Lewis the benefit of the doubt.

Why set up a poll followed by your opinion on the matter? This may sway the poll takers to vote just as you did - no one to blame. The stats reflect that. If this is a thread to confirm your own opinion, it did just that. But this poll is in no way reflective of what people actually think because of your biased statement poisoning the poll takers opinion.

It's not the legality of the shots. It's the intent.

Lewis was an asshole for doing that, for immediately gloating afterwards. He knew what he was doing and he did it on purpose.

He could've severely injured Blades over nothing.

Most of you assholes that are excusing this are doing so cause it makes you feel hard. In reality you're bitches.

Herb, one of the worst refs ever, couldn't do much in this case. And "it's no ones fault" isn't true in this case. We've seen a TON of cases where there were unintentional shots after the opponent was KO'd, but this was not one of those.

It's not the legality of the shots. It's the intent.

Lewis was an asshole for doing that, for immediately gloating afterwards. He knew what he was doing and he did it on purpose.

He could've severely injured Blades over nothing.

Most of you assholes that are excusing this are doing so cause it makes you feel hard. In reality you're bitches.

Herb, one of the worst refs ever, couldn't do much in this case. And "it's no ones fault" isn't true in this case. We've seen a TON of cases where there were unintentional shots after the opponent was KO'd, but this was not one of those.
I'm not trying to be some tough guy bitch, dude. You're totally off the m ark on that analysis.

Back