Porier vs Gaethje 2. Who takes it?

I don't know but after watching Dustin's post fight they should keep him far away from the belt. We just had 2 divas as LW champion. Do not need a 3rd guy who's constantly picking fights

It will be more competitive than Conor fight for sure.

Not sure about Oliveira. Oliveira can beat him on the ground.
Oliveira is a super lethal grappler offensively, but people forget he's been tapped a bunch of times himself. I also can't shake the memory of Paul Felder stapling his head to the canvas with elbows from top position. Oliveira strikes me as the kind of grappler who's only good when things are going his way. I think Dustin has the chops to deal with him.

Porier even more dominating. Without his constant reckless pressure, which Porier said himself gave him the most trouble, Porier's striking will be more on point.

I think that’s possible. But the wreckless pressure both giveth and taketh away. It created a lot of clean openings for DP to land big shots. So while it might have been the aspect that caused DP the most distress, it also cost Justin the fight. Justin’s more disciplined high guard and brutal leg kicks will be a big challenge too.

I agree with you that DP deserves to be the favorite though. It’ll be interesting to see how JG looks in his next fight, regardless of who it’s against.

Oliveira is a super lethal grappler offensively, but people forget he's been tapped a bunch of times himself. I also can't shake the memory of Paul Felder stapling his head to the canvas with elbows from top position. Oliveira strikes me as the kind of grappler who's only good when things are going his way. I think Dustin has the chops to deal with him.
Yeah Felder beat him very bad, but that was 8 fights ago which was in 2017. Oliveira got better now, he is not doing the same mistakes as of now. He would beat Felder now too.

That would be saying like Poirier is the same guy who lost to Conor in 2014, both Poirier and Oliveira got far better now.

Its the classic matchup of the guy who finds ways to win against the guy who finds ways to lose.

It would be impossible for me not to pick Dustin, but skill for skill Oliveira is probably superior on paper.

Poirier is the better fighter and should be the clear fav but justin is tough. Never count him out.

I think that’s possible. But the wreckless pressure both giveth and taketh away. It created a lot of clean openings for DP to land big shots. So while it might have been the aspect that caused DP the most distress, it also cost Justin the fight. Justin’s more disciplined high guard and brutal leg kicks will be a big challenge too.

I agree with you that DP deserves to be the favorite though. It’ll be interesting to see how JG looks in his next fight, regardless of who it’s against.
I'm praying for Oliveira vs Gaethje next

Its the classic matchup of the guy who finds ways to win against the guy who finds ways to lose.

It would be impossible for me not to pick Dustin, but skill for skill Oliveira is probably superior on paper.

How exactly he is superior in his skillset?

How good is dustin at bjj, I know he has a black belt and kinda held his own with khabib if the gulliotine helps. If dustin can hold off olly on the ground, then he should easily outstrike him. However, olly has overwhelmed ferguson who is one of the better bjj artists so there may be levels to it.

Would you want to see a rematch that bad? Fuck, Dustin is on a winning streak and should be fighting for a title next. What about Chandler and Ferg? I like that rematch but I would think Justin needs to beat another top 5er to get that rematch.

Yea I don’t think that’s crazy. Justin should have been fighting now just like the other contenders. Since he cemented himself as the number one contender:

1. He lost to Khabib
2. Oliveira squashed Tony and stopped Lee
3. Poirier beat Hooker and stopped Conor
4. Chandler stopped Hooker
5. RDA beat Felder

I think ideally Gaethje would have fought Chandler (or one of the other top 6-7 guys) right around now, and the winner of that fight would have faced the DP-Conor winner for the belt. Since Oliveira was so impressive he arguably needed to be on a semifinal as well. Right now I think the UFC should try to book Oliveira vs Justin immediately.

I understand DP wants to fight Diaz or Conor more than these others, but neither of those fights can be for the title. The title fight has to be against someone who has won fights recently. Oliveira deserves it most at the moment. And I think Gaethje, Chandler and RDA can make the case that they are a win away (frankly I wouldn’t argue too hard with Diaz were he to beat one of them as well). Chandler has the best, most recent, and most spectacular victory, and he hasn’t suffered the UFC losses that the other have, so if he does go next I wouldn’t flip out about it.

Yea I don’t think that’s crazy. Justin should have been fighting now just like the other contenders. Since he cemented himself as the number one contender:

1. He lost to Khabib
2. Oliveira squashed Tony and stopped Lee
3. Poirier beat Hooker and stopped Conor
4. Chandler stopped Hooker
5. RDA beat Felder

I think ideally Gaethje would have fought Chandler (or one of the other top 6-7 guys) right around now, and the winner of that fight would have faced the DP-Conor winner for the belt. Since Oliveira was so impressive he arguably needed to be on a semifinal as well. Right now I think the UFC should try to book Oliveira vs Justin immediately.

I understand DP wants to fight Diaz or Conor more than these others, but neither of those fights can be for the title. The title fight has to be against someone who has won fights recently. Oliveira deserves it most at the moment. And I think Gaethje, Chandler and RDA can make the case that they are a win away (frankly I wouldn’t argue too hard with Diaz were he to beat one of them as well). Chandler has the best, most recent, and most spectacular victory, and he hasn’t suffered the UFC losses that the other have, so if he does go next I wouldn’t flip out about it.
I'm pretty sure poirier wanted oliveira for the title

How exactly he is superior in his skillset?

He definitely the superior grappler, would you agree? I would argue that Oliveira’s edge in grappling skill is >> than Poirier’s edge in striking skill. Poirier gets the edge on every intangible, plus chin, plus endurance. But yes, skill for skill, I think Chuckie has a little more in his locker

I'm pretty sure poirier wanted oliveira for the title

That would be great. Nate and Conor were the two guys he mentioned when asked about fighting Chandler for the belt. But if he’s down to fight Olives, that IMO is the title fight that is most justified by the sporting results.

He definitely the superior grappler, would you agree? I would argue that Oliveira’s edge in grappling skill is >> than Poirier’s edge in striking skill. Poirier gets the edge on every intangible, plus chin, plus endurance. But yes, skill for skill, I think Chuckie has a little more in his locker
I wouldn't discount poirier's grappling, he's a bjj black belt from a very reputable instructor and has used it to dominate pettis and even somewhat hold his own against khabib,

That would be great. Nate and Conor were the two guys he mentioned when asked about fighting Chandler for the belt. But if he’s down to fight Olives, that IMO is the title fight that is most justified by the sporting results.
Might have remembered it wrong but it was my impression that he thought oliveira deserved a title shot and he would want nate or conor if he couldn't fight oliveira

both these guys are amazing for the sport but from an outsiders view, i think Gaejthe should slow down or stop soon.

the slight slurring in speech, the eye issues (past) have me a bit concerned.

dustin on the other hand seems 100%.

Back