Powerlifting beast promoted to BJJ brown in 2.5 years

I believe it. Even on his first day or rolling he would kick my ass.

Pfft. Purple belt Nick Rodriguez would smash him. Promotion not earned!

Jimmy is from my area, he's competed against teammates and I've seen him compete a fair amount. He's explosive for sure, and talented.

Well.....if his instructor thought he was ready then so be it. He may not be the most technical brown belt ever(neither am I, surprise surprise) but I bet hes a goddamn beast to grapple/wrestle with and my 175 lb ass would hope that he wouldnt drop me on my head if I wrestled him or stack me all the way back on the ground and break my damn neck. Strength does matter especially with technique and weight.

Thought it was going to be Chad Wesley Smith. It looks like he's on a more traditional progression-

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/powerlifter-promoted-to-bjj-brown-in-2-5-years/
https://www.instagram.com/jhouse182/

And all that achieved natty....dayum! <32>
P.S. He does have a wrestling background though.

Its normal that as a style gains popularity, belts and rankings get cheapened.

There was a time when there were only 10 bb in America. Now they hand out grades just for turning up for a period of time.
It is similar to 'recruitment' and reward in sales. Its mainly about business these days.

If he wrestled its a different story. We dont know if he lived in the gym training 2x a day 7 days a week.

That being said. For him to get promoted at a extraordinary speed he should have extra ordinary competition records.

His coach should have told him to go to nationals/pan ams/ mundials at purple and if he places the promote him.

Last edited:
Well.....if his instructor thought he was ready then so be it. He may not be the most technical brown belt ever(neither am I, surprise surprise) but I bet hes a goddamn beast to grapple/wrestle with and my 175 lb ass would hope that he wouldnt drop me on my head if I wrestled him or stack me all the way back on the ground and break my damn neck. Strength does matter especially with technique and weight.

He's very strong but gasses pretty easy . Will stall alot during his matches.

If he wrestled its a different story. We dont know if he lived in the gym training 2x a day 7 days a week.

That being said. For him to get promoted at a extraordinary speed he should have extra ordinary competition records.

His coach should have told him to go to nationals/pan ams/ mundials at purple and if he places the promote him.

You hit it on the nail. The few bigger tournaments he competed at, he didn't fair well at all.

Oh really? Whats the point then?

Imo, the owner of the gym jimmy trains at and works at full-time, is using him to run the gym. It benefits the owner to have him become a black belt sooner than later.

The owner is a black belt as well but doesn't really run the day to day operations. Jimmy is his main marketing tool.

Last edited:
Its normal that as a style gains popularity, belts and rankings get cheapened.

There was a time when there were only 10 bb in America. Now they hand out grades just for turning up for a period of time.
It is similar to 'recruitment' and reward in sales. Its mainly about business these days.

Do you realize that at one time there were NO black belts in America? What does that mean?

Weird that we can simultaneously hold the belief that instructors hand out belts for nothing, and at the same time acknowledge that a blue/purple/brown/black belt today would wipe the floor with a comparable belted martial artist of 20 years ago.

The idea of instructors of yesteryear teaching BJJ in a dingy basement for free for the love of the art and not caring about earning a living or at least keeping the lights on is likely exaggerated. It's always been a business.

Imo, the owner of the gym jimmy trains at and works at full-time, is using him to run the gym. It benefits the owner to have him become a black belt sooner than later.

The owner is a black belt as well but doesn't really run the day to day operations. Jimmy is his main marketing tool.

Little does he know that he just created an opportunity for jimmy to take all his students away and start his own gym....

Back