Pre-fight discussion UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez Sat. April 27 4pm et ESPN+

Planning to watch

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PurpleStorm

purp
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Two weeks after the amazing UFC 300, we're floating back down to earth. This Saturday it's UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez. What are your thoughts on the card? Any particular fights you anticipate? The floor is yours. Please keep it civil. Thanks and enjoy the pre-fight discussion.

Date/Time: Saturday 04.27.2024 at 04:00 PM ET
U.S. Broadcast: ESPN+
Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
Ownership: Endeavor
Venue: UFC Apex
Enclosure: Octagon
MMA Bouts: 12

UFC Fight Night

UFC ON ESPN 55 - NICOLAU VS. PEREZ​

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC)
APR 27, 2024
United States
UFC APEX, LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES

Matheus Nicolauvs
19-3-1​
24-8-0​

MAIN EVENT
FLYWEIGHT
MATCH​
FIGHTERS​
11​
Ryan 'Superman' Spann

Ryan
Spann

21-9-0
vs

Light Heavyweight​
Bogdan Guskov

Bogdan
Guskov

15-3-0
10​
Ariane 'Queen of Violence' Lipski

Ariane
Lipski

17-8-0
vs

Flyweight​
Karine 'Killer' Silva

Karine
Silva

17-4-0
9​
Austen Lane

Austen
Lane

12-4-0
vs

Heavyweight​
Jhonata Diniz

Jhonata
Diniz

6-0-0
8​
Tim 'The Dirty Bird' Means

Tim
Means

33-15-1
vs

Welterweight​
Uros 'The Doctor' Medic

Uros
Medic

9-2-0
7​
Jonathan
Pearce

14-5-0
Featherweight​
David
Onama

11-2-0
6​
Rani
Yahya

28-11-1
Bantamweight​
Victor
Henry

23-6-0
5​
Austin
Hubbard

15-7-0
Lightweight​
Michal
Figlak

8-1-0
4​
Don'Tale
Mayes

10-6-0
Heavyweight​
Caio
Machado

8-2-1
3​
Marnic
Mann

6-2-0
Strawweight​
Ketlen
Souza

13-4-0
2​
Flyweight​
Na
Liang

19-7-0
1​
Gabriel
Benitez

23-11-0
Lightweight​

Check out this excellent piece by Sherdog's @JayPettryMMA, the newest update in the fascinating series entitled Fight Finder Files.

After a week off to digest the landmark UFC 300, Keith and Ben are back, previewing the UFC's latest Apex offering. Side topics include the state of judo in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, the real "Tachi Kid," the time Keith almost committed an unspeakable crime, and of course Bo Nickal.

0:00 From a secure location in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
7:13 Gabriel Benitez (23-11) vs. Maheshate Hayisaer (9-3)
14:24 Ivana Petrovic (6-1) vs. Na Liang (19-7)
21:35 Marnic Mann (6-2) vs. Ketlen Souza (13-4)
31:50 Don'Tale Mayes (10-6, 1 NC) vs. Caio Machado (8-2-1)
40:23 Austin Hubbard (15-7) vs. Michal Figlak (8-1)
47:45 Rani Yahya (28-11-1, 1 NC) vs. Victor Henry (23-6, 1 NC)
1:00:47 Jonathan Pearce (14-5) vs. David Onama (11-2)
1:09:51 Tim Means (33-15-1, 1 NC) vs. Uros Medic (9-2)
1:19:25 Austen Lane (12-4, 1 NC) vs. Jhonata Diniz (6-0)
1:26:29 Ariane Lipski (17-8) vs. Karine Silva (17-4)
1:37:07 Ryan Spann (21-9) vs. Bogdan Guskov (15-3)
1:44:48 Matheus Nicolau (19-3-1) vs. Alex Perez (24-8)
1:56:24 A quick rundown of all the picks

Latest MMA News: https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/list
Check out the full fight card: https://www.sherdog.com/events/
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6oUPrfY...
Sherdog Podcasts: https://www.sherdog.com/tag/podcasts#UFCVegas91
Sherdog on Social Media:
Follow on Twitter: / sherdogdotcom
Like on Facebook: / officialsherdog
Follow on Instagram: / official_sherdog

Sherdog is the industry pioneer in UFC, Bellator and all things MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). MMA news, interviews, pictures, videos and more since 1997.

More on Sherdog.com: http://www.sherdog.com

Last edited:
what are the if you don't know now you know fights?

Hominick vs YahnahYahnay
was the original Conor vs Khabib in a real MMA fans world.
Very excited for Victor Henry vs Yah.
Henry only drops decisions and Yah just moves forward into war.
Could be a brawl, could end early,
if you don't know, now ya know.

There are great fights on this card,
and this one is a prelim. Wild.

<{JustBleed}>

Last edited:
Good main event, rest of the card very weak with Means-Medic and Pearce-Onama maybe being sleeper bangers

UFC gets a pass after putting on the best card ever at 300 tho

That is a rough card, that.

1-2 decent fights but that's it.
How do you know if a fight is decent, or not. Before it actually happens?

You probably thought Ngannou/Lewis was guaranteed violence not to make it to round 2, right? How about Izzy/Romero, etc?

Or are you saying that these people don’t have “names that I know”. Therefore, I say it sucks before it happens?

I like more than just one, or two fights on the card. I watch every UFC fight. So I’m aware of most of them already. If I don’t know about a person making their UFC debut. There are usually people around here that know everything about this fighter. So I can get an idea of what to expect from those people.. People that have knowledge, and I respect their opinions on mma. AndcI can always do my own research on anybody. But I go into every card with a mostly open mind.

I’ll do a pre-fight post in the next day, or two. It will explain why I have interest in at least 5 of these fights, on paper.

Thanks for the thread @PurpleStorm

I missed not having this thread last week.

How do you know if a fight is decent, or not. Before it actually happens?

You probably thought Ngannou/Lewis was guaranteed violence not to make it to round 2, right? How about Izzy/Romero, etc?

Or are you saying that these people don’t have “names that I know”. Therefore, I say it sucks before it happens?

I like more than just one, or two fights on the card. I watch every UFC fight. So I’m aware of most of them already. If I don’t know about a person making their UFC debut. There are usually people around here that know everything about this fighter. So I can get an idea of what to expect from those people.. People that have knowledge, and I respect their opinions on mma. AndcI can always do my own research on anybody. But I go into every card with a mostly open mind.

I’ll do a pre-fight post in the next day, or two. It will explain why I have interest in at least 5 of these fights, on paper.

Thanks for the thread @PurpleStorm

I missed not having this thread last week.
My pleasure. Appreciate your breakdowns. Haven't spent any time yet looking into this card. You make a great point that what you put into it is what you get out of it.

Among others I'm looking forward to the flyweight matchup between Ariane Lipski (17-8) and Karine Silva (17-4).

Lipski has won three in a row: by armbar submission over Casey O'Neil, by split decision over Melissa Gatto and by unanimous decision over J.J. Aldrich.

Incredibly, Karine Silva has won all three of her UFC fights by first round submission: via guillotine choke over Myrana Moroz, knee bar over Ketlen Souza and brabo choke over Poliana Botelho.

By The Numbers: Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email

ABHISHEK NAMBIAR APR 22, 2024 COMMENTS

For Matheus Nicolau, the No.5- ranked Ultimate Fighting Championship flyweight contender, being the architect of his own destiny has been the prime ambition. He returned to test himself again in the dog-eat-dog landscape of the 125-pound division in the Las Vegas-based promotion in 2021 following a brief stint between 2015 and 2018. Since then, he has compiled a 4-1 record with victories over prominent names like Manel Kape and Tim Elliott. And if past events are any measure, the promotional division has already witnessed a returning hero in the form of Brandon Moreno who went on to reign supreme in the division.

For his next assignment, the Brazilian is set to take on the eighth-ranked fighter in the divisional grid, Alex Perez, who finds himself navigating the adverse currents of a three-fight losing skid. In Perez’s defense, he has been taking on cutthroat competition since he signed with the UFC following a successful outing at Dana White’s Contender Series in August 2017.

The flyweight matchup is the central allure around which UFC on ESPN 55 is built. The event is set to take place on April. 27, 2024, at the Apex Facility in Las Vegas, Ahead of the clash, we take a look at some of the statistical intricacies that play a pivotal part in previewing the matchup.

4: Nicolau’s four-fight win streak before crumbling to a knockout loss to Brandon Royval in his last Octagon outing ranks as the sixth best in the division.

2:39: The Brazilian has spent a total of 2:39 accumulated time in the bottom position, which is the sixth-best mark on the flyweight ladder.

6: Throughout his UFC stint, Nicolau has landed six knockdowns, the third best in the division.

3: In his fight against Luis Smolka back in UFC 219, the 31-year-old landed three knockdowns, the tied-best in the division.

72: He landed 72 body strikes against Tim Elliott which accounts for the third best in the weight class.

8: Nicolau has scored eight decision victories in his career, proof that he can persist in the long game when required.

2:27: Perez occupies the fifth spot in the divisional bracket for bottom position time with 2:27 registered time.

80%:Perez is difficult to take down, bolstered by the 80% takedown defense rate he exhibits in his fights, the sixth best in the division.

59%:The American exhibits a solid striking defense at 59%.

7: With seven submission wins, Perez is widely recognized for his ground game and grappling prowess.

12: Much like Nicolau, Perez embraced the idea of going the distance without hesitation, rattling off 12 decision wins in his career.

Back