• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Preference: DA, SA, DA/SA? Hammer or Striker?

jericksen5

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Everyone has their own preference on trigger systems, for a variety of reasons. What kind of trigger system do you prefer? Single Action Only? Double Action Only? DA/SA?

Do you prefer hammer or striker? And why?

I have arthritis in my trigger finger.
For me, ranked: Striker>Single Action>DA/SA>>>>>>>>>>>DAO.

DA/SA

Sig 226 is my usual IPSC setup, so I guess I'm just used to it.

I prefer hammer fired weapons. But I prefer tried and true designs (ala 1911).

As far as trigger systems though, I prefer DA/SA. Best of both worlds, and I like that lack of a manual safety as on most DA/SA firearms. I like SAO, but if I could carry (cant living in the Peoples Republic of Illinois), it would make me nervous carrying with the hammer ****ed at all times. I know its fine, but it would still make me nervous.

I prefer a muzzle-loading musket.

I don't mind SA or DA at all. It all depends on what I'm shooting.

As for the hammer fire handguns and the striker fire handguns, I've been more attracted to Striker fire pistols lately. Every handgun I currently own is striker fire, But that doesn't mean I don't want a Sig or an HK. :)

I like being able to manually **** the hammer. Would prefer a DA/SA with an additional manual safety.

SA or SA/DA with thumb safety, hammer fired. From what I've fired hammer guns in SA have a nicer trigger pull than striker fired guns. That Walther PPQ did change my mind a bit about that though:D

Anything but DA/SA; weight, smoothness, and break are things I can adjust to well enough, it's the consistency between subsequent pulls that will throw me off. With DA/SA guns, I'm not dialed in until the 3rd or 4th round in the magazine.

I definitely understand the need for DA handguns, but IMO for someone who takes their pistol-work seriously SA is the only way to go. As long as you're willing to build up the extra fine-motor skills necessary to use a SA handgun safely and effectively, they just shoot better and more accurately than anything else.

I may be mixed up a little, what makes a weapon a musket?

I thought it was a smooth bore muzzle loader.

Not sure if that is 100% rule.

By definition, a musket is a muzzle loader. That's why saying "a muzzle loading musket" is redundant. There are no other kinds.

You also sometimes see references to "rifled muskets" which are still muzzle loaded, but obviously have rifled barrels. An example being the Springfield Model 61 used in the Civil War.

Striker, like the Glock and M&P.

Back