Prem Thread 23/24 v18: A Mad Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
All things considered, between Jones, Smalling, Maguire, Lindelof, Varane, Bailly, Blind and Martinez, can argue the last truly successful CB we signed was Vidic and that was 2006.

Can probably say the same for every position, saying that. Fergies last 5-6 years weren't particularly great, neither.

Need to get it right eventually or 10 years can easily become 30.
Lisandro is good though, your team as a whole is just terrible right now. He will thrive when the team gets better.

I had this debate with a friend of mine the other day, i think Graham Potter would be a good choice if Ten Hag gets sacked. What do u think?

Lisandro is good though, your team as a whole is just terrible right now. He will thrive when the team gets better.

I had this debate with a friend of mine the other day, i think Graham Potter would be a good choice if Ten Hag gets sacked. What do u think?
Why not Amorim from Sporting?

Why not Amorim from Sporting?
I really like Amorim but i actually think a move to Liverpool or United is a bit to soon as of now. He's a very talented coach but i have reservations about him in the context he would be at those clubs. It's a whole different level of pressure that im not sure he's ready for it just yet.

At Sporting he was allowed to make mistakes to grow as a manager, he didn't have the pressure to win every year and didn't had to deal with tough locker rooms. If he was at Benfica last year and had done the season he did in 2023, he would have been fired for example. It's not the same pressure.

If he were to go to United and nothing changes in the club's culture he would be gone within 6 months to a year-At Liverpool is a matter of if they would give him the time.

Nope. Would hate it, Moyes mark 2. Same with Southgate. They all fall into the same bracket, none of them are capable of managing a team with real aspirations.

Nope. Would hate it, Moyes mark 2. Same with Southgate. They all fall into the same bracket, none of them are capable of managing a team with real aspirations.
Potter did great jobs everywhere except Chelsea where he was doomed from the start. I feel like people kinda forgot how good his Brighton team was because De Zerbi's first 6 months there overshadowed that (altough Potter's team was probably more complete in differente phases of a game).
Potter is english and a very good manager, he's yet to manage an actual team with good individual talent which was not the case at Chelsea.

I really like Amorim but i actually think a move to Liverpool or United is a bit to soon as of now. He's a very talented coach but i have reservations about him in the context he would be at those clubs. It's a whole different level of pressure that im not sure he's ready for it just yet.

At Sporting he was allowed to make mistakes to grow as a manager, he didn't have the pressure to win every year and didn't had to deal with tough locker rooms. If he was at Benfica last year and had done the season he did in 2023, he would have been fired for example. It's not the same pressure.

If he were to go to United and nothing changes in the club's culture he would be gone within 6 months to a year-At Liverpool is a matter of if they would give him the time.
But if Pool get him while United also sack Ten Hag. Pool then stay in title race while doing well in Europe, United fans will be asking why United didnt throw crazy money at Amorim.

True he has stress free situation (as much one has in top 3 club in elite Euro league) but if Sporting wins the league this season, he has won league twice with them no? Add possible cup wlns, need to check if they won any cups. Quite well done against Benfica and Porto.
Maybe he feels time is now to move on and a new job. With Pool he would already have a great team. Pressure to win would be there though. No room for error in that sense and City + Arsenal will be there in the title race.
With United, alot of changes at the office. Maybe he would have alot of say as far transfers go (along side United DoF, if United have one) and gets to build a team he likes.
United has couple young players that are good: Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund, Malaria (atlest he was ok but no idea what happened with him) and Diallo maybe?
Add some of the older players like Bruno, Martinez, McTominay, Dalot. If all players fit with how Amorim sets up his team and tactics, just needs idk 3-5 new players and his starting 11 just might be good ehough to ehough to keep up with City, Pool and Arsenal + win FA Cup and/or league cup. Yes i know United fans want more but if he achieved that on his first season, would look good for the future.

Gully has got a Sherdog account :eek:

qTfrOYq.gif

Potter did great jobs everywhere except Chelsea where he was doomed from the start. I feel like people kinda forgot how good his Brighton team was because De Zerbi's first 6 months there overshadowed that (altough Potter's team was probably more complete in differente phases of a game).
Potter is english and a very good manager, he's yet to manage an actual team with good individual talent which was not the case at Chelsea.

I've heard Brighton fans claim Potter was actually holding them back, rather than being some progressive star manager - he couldn't buy a goal at times with them, and that continued at Chelsea. Not for me, at all

But if Pool get him while United also sack Ten Hag. Pool then stay in title race while doing well in Europe, United fans will be asking why United didnt throw crazy money at Amorim.

True he has stress free situation (as much one has in top 3 club in elite Euro league) but if Sporting wins the league this season, he has won league twice with them no? Add possible cup wlns, need to check if they won any cups. Quite well done against Benfica and Porto.
Maybe he feels time is now to move on and a new job. With Pool he would already have a great team. Pressure to win would be there though. No room for error in that sense and City + Arsenal will be there in the title race.
With United, alot of changes at the office. Maybe he would have alot of say as far transfers go (along side United DoF, if United have one) and gets to build a team he likes.
United has couple young players that are good: Mainoo, Garnacho, Hojlund, Malaria (atlest he was ok but no idea what happened with him) and Diallo maybe?
Add some of the older players like Bruno, Martinez, McTominay, Dalot. If all players fit with how Amorim sets up his team and tactics, just needs idk 3-5 new players and his starting 11 just might be good ehough to ehough to keep up with City, Pool and Arsenal + win FA Cup and/or league cup. Yes i know United fans want more but if he achieved that on his first season, would look good for the future.
Don't get me wrong, Amorim has been amazing at Sporting, even if they don't win the league this year, which i think they will. The team is not that great besides Gyokeres, Holjmund and 1 or 2 more guys and he's doing wonders with some trash players in the team. He won them their first league in 20 years and did it unbeaten and has also won a few cups.

But in these 4 years he also made mistakes which was normal, last year Sporting finished 4th and was horrible all year long, the supporters were pissed at him being so inflexible with his tactics and if he was at Porto or Benfica he would have been sacked. He just had the perfect club to grow without the pressure of winning all the time which was great for him and i believe he's already a much better manager this year than last year, he's young and this is like his 6th year as a manager, it's normal.

I just think a Liverpool move rn might be too big of a step and Liverpool is in a position that they won't allow you to have 1 bad season to have 1 or 2 good ones and if things start getting bad idk if he has the status to turn things around when dealing with a locker room, english media etc. He has no experience in that context and tactically he's still improving. I hope i'm wrong if he gets the move though, i really like him.

I've heard Brighton fans claim Potter was actually holding them back, rather than being some progressive star manager - he couldn't buy a goal at times with them, and that continued at Chelsea. Not for me, at all
I read a ridiculous rumour that Man u was considering the Ipswich manager sometime, either now or in the future.
Can't remember his name but he's only 37 or 38 years old, and served under both Solskjaer and someone else

Martinez had a decent first season, if not a little overrated by some, but has basically been injured for the a whole year now. Availability is the best ability and all that.

Really no idea about the next manager. As long as it’s not Southgate. Don’t follow the Euro leagues enough anymore to know who’s hot right now.

Potter would need to start strong after his Chelsea disaster. He’d be starting at -3 and not zero.

I’d probably give ETH another season and see what happens.

Thing is managing a mid table club is different to managing a relegation battling team to managing a team challenging for CLs. Some can make the transition but more fail than succeed.

Pep at Bournemouth ain’t gonna move many mountains, imo….hell look at Ancellotti at Everton. Made little difference.

I read a ridiculous rumour that Man u was considering the Ipswich manager sometime, either now or in the future.
Can't remember his name but he's only 37 or 38 years old, and served under both Solskjaer and someone else

McKenna, used to be our youth manager. He's doing well but that's it, I would like to see how he did managing someone like say, Palace or something.

Kieran McKenna.

Guy has done a fantastic job at Ipswich and he and Carrick were well thought of at United.

Not sexy enough of a name. Guys like him need to be perfect at 2-3 clubs in a row to get a sniff at the big jobs.

Rarely happens in the Prem these days. Only ones that come to mind recently are Potter, Moyes and Rogers and all ultimately failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back