Pride vs UFC in terms of scouting and talent development.

As did the UFC.

The difference is that Pride marketed the fighters like Greek and Norse gods, larger-than-life characters. Fighter entrances and the fights itself felt like a battle between gods and giants.

On the other hand, UFC marketed their fighters like alpha male hooligans and high school bullies built on personal insults and trash-talk.

Pride's biggest champion Fedor was an emperor sitting atop his throne. While UFC's most marketed champions were spit-spewing savages and bottles/dolly-throwing hooligans. Respectable champs like DC and even long-reigning legends like GSP never got half the appearances nor attention that short-lived champs like Lesnar and inactive champs like Conor had.

The difference in target demographic is obvious.

kingofmmabp.gif
n623rk.gif

Exactly this!!! Best lost I have seen in a while!

PRIDE FC buried its own brand, too.
Agree 100%.

Pride was awesome and produced huge stars in many ways BECAUSE they weren't putting the organization first the way UFC has done.

UFC's self branding is definitely a more sustainable, I also tend to think that some bad/shady business moves contributed to Pride's passing into the spirit realm.

Pride was the star who lived fast died young and will forever be remembered.

I miss soccer kicks and knees, Pride was beautiful.

Pride was by far, not even close, the best org ever in terms of star development and the stars they built had lifetime star power.

Pride build legends.

UFC built its own brand first.
That's why UFC is still in business.

As did the UFC.

The difference is that Pride marketed the fighters like Greek and Norse gods, larger-than-life characters. Fighter entrances and the fights itself felt like a battle between gods and giants.

On the other hand, UFC marketed their fighters like alpha male hooligans and high school bullies built on personal insults and trash-talk

I didn't suggest the UFC doesn't lean towards spectacle, but they did significantly less than PRIDE did.

I can tell you 2010+ PRIDE fanbois are taking offense to this, and anything that doesn't suggest PRIDE is the greatest thing ever.

But UFC marketed their product to TV, to media, they marketed it as a sport, much more than PRIDE ever did. You can belittle their tactics but their approach made MMA mainstream.

So yes, PRIDE should have more lasting characters. PRIDE created and sold based on their characters. The spectacle of great fighters. UFC's sports-like approach isn't going to cultivate as many "stars" and will go through more fighters, faster.

Back