PrideFC old timers, would you have believed it if, 10 years ago, ...

RiotWyatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
... someone told you that Chael Sonnen would go on to get wins over Filho, Shogun, Wanderlei, Rampage and earn a fight against Fedor?

I would have asked them who da fook is Chael.

Nobody knew who Chael was when the names you mentioned where in their primes.

Chael? You mean that guy who keeps getting triangled

You mean pointing to some random fighter in Bodog and saying that guy will fight for two UFC belts and defeat several ex-champs?

Nope. Don't see it happening.

... someone told you that Chael Sonnen would go on to get wins over Filho, Shogun, Wanderlei, Rampage and earn a fight against Fedor?
What would have been hard 2 believe is that Pride dudes would still run the show, especially @ HW...

I would have asked them who da fook is Chael.

Nobody knew who Chael was when the names you mentioned where in their primes.

I did, first heard of him during the IFC tournament when he got subbed by Forrest Griffin. Then, he got subbed twice in the UFC and that was that, ... or so we thought.

I would have said 10 years ago that in 10 years those guys would be at the end and damn near any credible fighter might beat them.

Just remember Tito Ortiz guillotined choked out Chael lmao...

In combat sports, seemingly crazy things happen at the end of fighters' careers. It's nothing new.

In terms of Chael, during his WEC days, I thought he was wildly underrated and that he was the one guy who could give Anderson a tough fight stylistically. So at the time, if you told me that Chael would go on to beat past-prime Wand, Shogun, and Rampage, it wouldn't shock me. Now if you told me he would beat all those guys close to their primes, I'd say you were crazy.

Last edited:
10 years ago I would have been like 'who the hell is Chael Sonnen?'

First I heard of him was when he got submitted by Filho over at the now defunct WEC, he then had that second fight with Filho which he won, but let's face it, Filho was having conversations with himself during that fight (it was the me, myself and chael rumble at the WEC) it was insane, even Chael was like 'who the f*** is this guy talking to'?

Back