Prime BJ Penn vs Khabib

Who wins

• Total voters
lol at comparing Bj's record to artems. Bj is the lw goat by far, he didnt defend the title more than any other fighter by being mediocre. what was his record at lightwieght again?
11-3-1, not impressive either. Khabib has won 11 UFC fights straight as has Tony. BJ not even close to LW GOAT.

BJ is one of my absolute favorite fighters ever and the reason I really got into watching MMA, that said, Khabib would grind him down and finish him, BJ would give him hell for 2 rounds though.

Khabibs pressure would become too much for Baby J.

Says the one with a 2018 join date.

He won a fight against Hughes. That is basically his one and only WW accomplishment.

He beat Hughes twice. Also pushed a prime GSP to a split decision.

I don't claim to be an MMA expert, but BJ Penn was a fighter i watched back in the day and he was dangerous striking or chasing a sub.

I remember it as him nailing both of them. I remember the people I was watching with--newer fans at the time--being shocked, but Penn has always had good takedowns, he showed it in both Pulver fights, against Gomi, and against that title fight against Uno in that fight that was somehow called a draw. Penn was particularly frustrating because he was skilled at so many different things, but he came to rely on just a few of them. He'd show up undertrained and expect his gifts to carry him...sometimes it would work, but then the clock ran out on his career.

How many LHWs and MWs tried unsuccessfully to take Machida down? Penn moved up 4 weight classes and did what Randy Couture couldn't. But Sherdog has clowns that look up some stats on fightfinder and think they know the story.

There is a reason Penn has the mystique he does among long-time fans. On any given night, he was among the very best to walk the earth. From 2007 - 2009, he was incredible, in a deep talent pool facing guys who'd cut from WW and crushing them. He's also been on the shit end of bad judging--Pulver, Uno, and Georges, he could easily be 19-9. He was the last of the go anywhere, fight anyone, at anytime fighters. Lots of people talk the talk now, but then they quibble over money or where the fight is supposed to take place, whatever. Penn is an icon of the sport.

Very well put.

11-3-1, not impressive either. Khabib has won 11 UFC fights straight as has Tony. BJ not even close to LW GOAT.
...neither is Khabib.

Khabib has two...exactly TWO, top 10 wins. One of them against a one-dimensional mouthpiece who hadn't fought in two years.
And now he wants to skip away to get his ass handed to him in boxing because money.

That's hardly GOAT material.
You can puff up his resume all you want, but that is the facts.

Khabib is a talented fighter. He's not the fighter his fans thing he is, but talented. But he's also two losses away from becoming a footnote who never lived up to the hype.

...neither is Khabib.

Khabib has two...exactly TWO, top 10 wins. One of them against a one-dimensional mouthpiece who hadn't fought in two years.
And now he wants to skip away to get his ass handed to him in boxing because money.

That's hardly GOAT material.
You can puff up his resume all you want, but that is the facts.

Khabib is a talented fighter. He's not the fighter his fans thing he is, but talented. But he's also two losses away from becoming a footnote who never lived up to the hype.
RDA, Barboza, Conor, MJ were all top ten wins. What are you talking about?

That’s beautiful thanks for sharing. I bet that was an amazing experience.

B.J. is a legend and in my eyes he is still one of the greatest of all time and always will be.
It was. Watching B.J come back after getting beat by GSP the way he did show how much of a worrier the prodigy is

Khabib. BJ stops trying after round 2 if the first 2 rounds don't go his way. And the first two rounds don't go his way.

RDA, Barboza, Conor, MJ were all top ten wins. What are you talking about?
Johnson was on a one-fight win streak after a two loss skid.
He and RDA may have been ranked 9 or 10...

...if your rankings suck.

So I'll grant grace:
Khabib has exactly--and undeniably--only two top 5 wins in his entire resume, and even one of those is a questionable ranking.

He's still two losses away from being the footnote I described, and that's not even bringing up the Tibeau asterisk on his "undefeated" resume.

And without question, 2018 Khabib is nowhere near GOAT status. He's two or three more years at the top level, with 5 or 6 quality wins against top defenders. But I have a feeling money changes everything.

This legit tells you nothing other than the fact that khabib fought a bunch of unknown Russian dudes. How many of these blokes were ufc champions? Bj fought two in his first ten fights and was 1-1 with one of them being a debated decision in which jens was saved by the bell.
Not talkin´ about the BJ/Khabib comparison here, but ya cant legit assess someone´s a can until ya watch at least ONE of his fights.

Basic modus operandi, Im afraid.

Bj is tiny compared to Khabib. He is nowhere near the 5'9 he is listed as. There are photos with him next to aldo or dillashaw/RDA and he is shorter than RDA and barely taller than dillashaw. Bj only does well he gets the top position. I don't think he is getting that against Khabib.

round 1 or 2 bj... anything longer he gets smashed

Bj is tiny compared to Khabib. He is nowhere near the 5'9 he is listed as. There are photos with him next to aldo or dillashaw/RDA and he is shorter than RDA and barely taller than dillashaw. Bj only does well he gets the top position. I don't think he is getting that against Khabib.

"Bj only does well he gets the top position."

Ya obviously didnt watch BJ vs Hughes 2 Rd 2...

"Bj only does well he gets the top position."

Ya obviously didnt watch BJ vs Hughes 2 Rd 2...
You obviously don't train. BJ is a top game bjj guy. There is where he excels at. It doesn't mean he can't work there. It is like RDA; RDA is a top guy as well. He doesn't take any damage off his back but he still prefers the top.

Back