Problem with an unwanted drilling partner

Tell her you’re catching feelings get extra clingy with her obsess over her if you do that and she’s anything like most girls she’ll run for the hills! If she likes it at least you’ll end up with normal size kids so you don’t have to raise a Manlet like your parents did.

Just kidding that does sound like it sucks but if it doesn’t change anytime soon then maybe I wasn’t kidding.

In all seriousness I think you need to have a wee friendly word when she rumbles over to you just say I'm gonna try with "so and so_ today . Have your training partner lined up at the start of class , don't worry if the guy you ask had a usual training partner , this is bjj not the prom - people should be drilling with more than one person .

I know it's tough and it's hard if you are a nice person , which I'm sure you are judging by your concern here but this is your training time that is suffering here

Don't know how you line up for the demo in your club but sit right at the elbow of someone you want to train with. Tap him/her on the elbow as your instructor is finishing up to cement the pairing up and say "I'm partnered up already" to anyone you don't want to train with.

I always try to have my training partners picked cause I'm there to train as hard as I can with people who know how to do it safely. There's no reason you should need to be rude, just be assertive in who you're training with.

Another tip is work with people at a new club after class so they know you're legit when you're tapping them for training together in class.

Joking aside I can kinda relate to you. When I was a white I used to occasionally get paired up with some overweight chick who sounds similar. The kicker is once sparring started up our coach usually has us start off with the same drilling partners. This chick would literally sweep herself from guard. Zero balance or coordination. I felt like I was actually getting worse whenever we would get paired up.

Last edited:
So I’m relatively new to this gym. I take a bjj class from them about 3 days a week.
The quality of instruction is great and a lot of the techniques is more basics and less sport techniques which is kind of what I’m looking for mma purposes.

Anyways the problem is that I have this uh, very large girl that partners with me every time now.

First of all I’m probably the lightest guy in the gym. I weigh about 145 lbs and she’s probably 200+.
Secondly this girl is a terrible white belt. She does NOT do the technique or the drill right ever. I feel like she doesnt even pay attention half the time, just muscles the technique and roughly does it.

The class normally starts off with drilling on the feet, whether it be a sacrifice throw or some type of takedown. She’s way too big or heavy for me to even drill the throws. And when it’s just drill whatever takedown you want, she refuses to be taken down because she’s so big and lazy, so all we do is drill fucking entries the whole time. Not to mention when we drill she’s a fucking spaz. Doesn’t really know takedowns so she will club me or muscle me or do some shit that is not only irritating but sometimes painful.

In the back of my mind I knew I should have not talked to her or have been friendly to her. It’s kind of sad because everyone else in this gym ignores and doesn’t talk to her at all either.
She goes up to me Every. Single. Time. and will body lock me from behind or just straight up make a b line for me when it’s time to drill. Says something like “hey partner” or “you’re partnering with me today”

It’s actually so bad that I’m going to start coming to class late from now own. Skip the warm ups, and wait for the partner drills to start. That way she will be partnered with some other poor soul and I can come in late and pick a group to partner with. I have a really bad feeling even if I come late she will be the odd man out, or she will be with the group of three and I will have to partner with her when I come. It’s worth a try because with her I might as not even drill anyway. Just show up to roll I guess

I also know that I’m newer so I should have to ‘pay my dues’ and be the odd one out with her. The guys all have been training with each other for a while and seem to know each other and be friends. But I just cant. I only go bjj 3 times a week and it’s killing me now.

Oh yeah not to mention the stand up portion is my favorite part of the drilling and I die inside a little each time I partner with her. Our black belt is a former collegiate wrestler and world class mma coach, and we also have an Olympic judoka who teaches as well.
I’m so small and she’s so round I can’t drill throws and I can barely drill ground techniques. And then the spaz techniques on the feet where I’m being clubbed or retardedly arm dragged all over the place
Tell her you have a fight coming up and need work from someone the same size/build as your opponent

Tell her you’re catching feelings get extra clingy with her obsess over her if you do that and she’s anything like most girls she’ll run for the hills!
This will just make the situation worse making her fall in love with you.

Tell her you have a fight coming up and need work from someone the same size/build as your opponent

Yeah ultimately this is one of those issues that's only going to be solved by actually talking to the person in question.

Just say no, and that you want to focus on drilling with someone close to your weight class even if that means hopping in a 3 person rotation.

Yeah ultimately this is one of those issues that's only going to be solved by actually talking to the person in question.

Just say no, and that you want to focus on drilling with someone close to your weight class even if that means hopping in a 3 person rotation.
I’m from Portland, we are a very passive aggressive people.

These guys are right that the correct answer is to say no I guess, politely, though that will hurt. But you're paying what, 200 a month? Maybe more? I don't know what gym fees are in your area but if you're paying like 200 a month for 6 months or for a year that's a lot of money and you have the right to get something out of that money.

I had a similar experience I guess, the only guy who comes to open mat is often this 250 pound guy (I'm like 150-155) and he's also a belt above me so every single roll ends up with him in mount and me dying slowly. But he's actually a veteran of the gym and a smart and friendly guy, he gets the conundrum that I face, so when there are other folks there he usually wants me to roll with them, or for me to only get in one or two rolls with him before rolling with someone else because he knows that I'm really not learning anything with him other than to be tough.

If you want to be passive aggressive you could like be a bad partner and maybe she'd move on but it's probably better to be straight with her.

Lol this is probably the best excuse. The way she runs towards me is bad man

Yeah I guess I have to

You need to ask someone else to drill with you before she has the chance. Maybe ask them during warm ups.

Do not let her refuse to let you takedown her just because she is too lazy. How does that even happen?

When it comes to practicing throws. Just tell her your back hurts today. I can't partner with you

You need to ask someone else to drill with you before she has the chance. Maybe ask them during warm ups.

Do not let her refuse to let you takedown her just because she is too lazy. How does that even happen?
She just resists or stuffs the throw/takedown super hard. I could definitely take her down with more force but that’s a dick move lol. Especially when she only drills entries on me

She just resists or stuffs the throw/takedown super hard. I could definitely take her down with more force but that’s a dick move lol. Especially when she only drills entries on me
I would take her down if she is resisting or ask her why she doesn't let you do your moves.
If you want to be bff with her don't get surprised she chooses you for drilling.

Last edited:
In the back of my mind I knew I should have not talked to her or have been friendly to her. It’s kind of sad because everyone else in this gym ignores and doesn’t talk to her at all either.
She goes up to me Every. Single. Time. and will body lock me from behind or just straight up make a b line for me when it’s time to drill. Says something like “hey partner” or “you’re partnering with me today”

the gym sounds not enough supervised. You are all adults. I dont see the problem in TELLING someone what the problem is f.e. talking with her that you want to change up training partners. That should have been the role of the coaches and telling her how to spar / drill with someone instead of ignoring her.

She obviously doesnt know how to drill when she goes 100% and doesnt let you execute techniques. She needs help especially if she is socially awkward.

dude just be blunt and say hey I wanna train with someone else today

this sounds awful btw, just tell the instructor and talk to some dudes prior to class

You're overcomplicating things completely by focusing on how she feels. If you're unhappy then just tell her you're going to train with someone else. If you want to spare her feelings tell her it's to replicate your competition environment. If you get stuck with her, throw her on her ass and stop letting her get you with dumb shit. She may be completely nieve to how bad she is, how can she know if you just go with everything?

Just say no. Have a friendly word with her or your instructor

Back