PSL & e Zastava M76 ?

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
anyone know anything about these rifles? i've taken an interest in them, wouldnt mind picking one up at the end of this month..

anyone know anything about these rifles? i've taken an interest in them, wouldnt mind picking one up at the end of this month..
yeah, fired one quite a bit in various capacities. Here's my no BS assessment on the PSL:
Its a long AK. Trigger is shit and its poorly balanced although rather light by comparable weapons standards. Its about as accurate as M16a2 at basically the same range. You are a SERIOUSLY good shooter if you can make this thing group better than 3 MOA with match grade ammo. With standard Ball? i cant guarantee shots on a man size target beyond 500 and im a pretty good shot. It actually suffers alot from stringing so continous firing actually makes its mediocre accuracy much much worse. beyond 10 rounds within several minutes will have you sending shots all over the place.

If you can grab one for about 700 bucks its not a bad acquisition. anything over that and you'll be disappointed if its for anything other than 'oh gee look what i got'.

basically its a purpose built rifle designed to overcome the range deficiencies of militaries that utilized AKM patterned rifles. Its designed to give reasonable accuracy beyond 300 meters while still being rugged enough to be handed to guys who arent school trained marksmen. the scope is probably the best feature if you can get the POSP. its got a pretty nifty on the fly target range estimation method reminiscent of an ACOG's.

yeah, fired one quite a bit in various capacities. Here's my no BS assessment on the PSL:
Its a long AK. Trigger is shit and its poorly balanced although rather light by comparable weapons standards. Its about as accurate as M16a2 at basically the same range. You are a SERIOUSLY good shooter if you can make this thing group better than 3 MOA with match grade ammo. With standard Ball? i cant guarantee shots on a man size target beyond 500 and im a pretty good shot. It actually suffers alot from stringing so continous firing actually makes its mediocre accuracy much much worse. beyond 10 rounds within several minutes will have you sending shots all over the place.

If you can grab one for about 700 bucks its not a bad acquisition. anything over that and you'll be disappointed if its for anything other than 'oh gee look what i got'.

basically its a purpose built rifle designed to overcome the range deficiencies of militaries that utilized AKM patterned rifles. Its designed to give reasonable accuracy beyond 300 meters while still being rugged enough to be handed to guys who arent school trained marksmen. the scope is probably the best feature if you can get the POSP. its got a pretty nifty on the fly target range estimation method reminiscent of an ACOG's.

So are they basically the same thing? im not sure which one is the better rifle...

you basically explained the video i was watching earlier

i was really looking at the m76

Last edited:
The M76 is superior in fit and finish and has a milled receiver. It also has a thicker barrel (although not necessarily more robust, Romanian guns are tough), and an adjustable gas system. There were some early issues with receivers, thin rails I believe... I can't remember for certain.

Positives for the PSL:
.Ammo availability/price
.Weight
.Chrome-Lined bore
.A bit cheaper

Positives for the M76:
.Better accuracy (at least with Privi Partizan match 200gr)
.Thicker barrel
.Fit and finish
.Milled receiver
.Adjustable gas system

Truth be told...as far as utility, there is money better spent. And this is from someone who loves all things Kalash. If you enjoy unique firearms or you are looking to fill a spot in your collection, by all means go for it! But either route you take, it won't be the most practical purchase in regards to long range shooting. Good luck with whatever you decide!

The M76 is superior in fit and finish and has a milled receiver. It also has a thicker barrel (although not necessarily more robust, Romanian guns are tough), and an adjustable gas system. There were some early issues with receivers, thin rails I believe... I can't remember for certain.

Positives for the PSL:
.Ammo availability/price
.Weight
.Chrome-Lined bore
.A bit cheaper

Positives for the M76:
.Better accuracy (at least with Privi Partizan match 200gr)
.Thicker barrel
.Fit and finish
.Milled receiver
.Adjustable gas system

Truth be told...as far as utility, there is money better spent. And this is from someone who loves all things Kalash. If you enjoy unique firearms or you are looking to fill a spot in your collection, by all means go for it! But either route you take, it won't be the most practical purchase in regards to long range shooting. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sounds like id go for m76 rifle then. i really love those model of DMR.

Sounds like id go for m76 rifle then. i really love those model of DMR.
Have you considered a Vepr or Saiga in the longer barrel 54r or 308 variants? Plenty of folks make Dragunov style stocks for them. 54r surplus has all but dried up. I remember being able to find spam cans at pawn shops, regularly. But the 8mm for the M76 is even more scarce (and pricey). 308 is everywhere. From fine match grade target ammo to cheap steel cased, you would never have to worry about availability. Just food for thought.

Have you considered a Vepr or Saiga in the longer barrel 54r or 308 variants? Plenty of folks make Dragunov style stocks for them. 54r surplus has all but dried up. I remember being able to find spam cans at pawn shops, regularly. But the 8mm for the M76 is even more scarce (and pricey). 308 is everywhere. From fine match grade target ammo to cheap steel cased, you would never have to worry about availability. Just food for thought.

i see one in OKC, for a decent price. Why are they so rare? How much is ammo usually for a box?

i'm weird, i dont like Vepr or Saiga's

i see one in OKC, for a decent price. Why are they so rare?
The Veprs and Saigas? Import bans and sanctions against Russia. Saiga (which is made at the real Izmash factory) was first, then Vepr.

How much is ammo usually for a box?
308 has a huge range with low end 308 rounds being the cheapest of the three, followed by the 54r, then the high end 308 rounds and the 8mm Mauser being the most expensive.

i'm weird, i dont like Vepr or Saiga's
<{katwhu}>

Oh the M76, of course! As far as the rarity.. there isn’t a big enough market for anyone to import them. We get all sorts of Serbian shit, other Zastava weapons included. But the ammo is expensive and uncommon and the gun itself is a bit of a niche item.
In regards to the ad... From the little I know, the Patterson receivers are held in higher regard than the ORF receiver. So that should be a plus. All said and done it’s a Century parts kit build, and that doesn’t inspire a whole lot of confidence. Their builds have always been spotty. When they do hit the mark, it’s usually because they contracted out the builds (like the AK-63D Hungarian kit builds).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back