pullups rest periods

casperthegst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
so i have been doing weighted pullups for 5 sets of 5 trying to add 1 pound everytime i do them. Are you really supposed to weight 10-30 minutes for full recovery? If so that sure seems long.

say what now? 10-30 minutes betwen sets? is that what you are saying?

Who told you 10-30 minutes? Pull-ups are the same as any other lift. 3-5 minutes should be fine in most cases.

Last edited:
Weight 10-30 minutes? Say what now? You've been around here long enough to not ask such a silly question.

You're supposed to weight the chins, and wait between sets. Don't confuse the two, or else you'll have a very difficult time.

You're supposed to weight the chins, and wait between sets. Don't confuse the two, or else you'll have a very difficult time.

Someone told him to try adding more wait on his chins, so now he takes thirty minute rest periods.

It makes sense now.

I just realized OP said 5x5 for weighted chins. You can do 5x5 for that??

No, it's physically impossible to do 5 sets of 5 reps for chin-ups if you have any added weight.

I do lots of weighted pull ups and I usually wait at least 7-10 minutes between sets. I usually do a set, go do another lift, then go back and do another set.

Using a 25# weight, my sets with the breaks are like 12-10-8-8-6

If I do them consecutively, I can do 12-8-6-6-4.

Devilson said this in a pullups thread

DevilsSon also trains about once or twice a week and regularly has very very long sessions in the gym. A unique way of training, indeed, and one probably not suited to the majority.

I'm certainly not saying he's wrong. He's beastly strong, for sure. I'm just saying he developed a method that is quite specifically tailored to his needs and lifestyle and it may not be applicable to yours.

DevilsSon also trains about once or twice a week and regularly has very very long sessions in the gym. A unique way of training, indeed, and one probably not suited to the majority.

I'm certainly not saying he's wrong. He's beastly strong, for sure. I'm just saying he developed a method that is quite specifically tailored to his needs and lifestyle and it may not be applicable to yours.

And in addition to this, I am certain the devil (no pun intended) is in the details. If he is suggesting waiting (or weighting) 30 min b/w sets of chins, I'm sure there is more to the story and this would not apply to the average gym goer. If something doesn't pass the sniff test, disregard it.

Back