Punching bag way too hard

If you condition yourself to hitting soft surfaces, the first time your punch catches an elbow or you hit someone in the skull you are going to be bumming. The same thing for using wraps. Take time and slowly condition your hands to be able to hit any surface on any angle without damaging your hands. Everlast has been making equipment for about 100 years - there's a reason why they make their bags the way they do.

Oh and go get some lessons before you hurt yourself.

i know what this guy is talking about,,,

i probably have the same everlast 100 pounder as you and at first the sand was equally distributed in all parts of the bag but now there very big soft spots and very big super hard spots, almost as hard as concrete, i think the bags just suck.

at my gym they dont use sand bags which are just as effective

my knuckles from hitting my everlast are always bruised after hitting it for 10 minutes

^keep hitting the bag, it will get better. the everlast bags are great. you want there to be hard spots, they help you build power.

i was just wondering as to which punching-bag i should get....i guess ill go with an everlast...

i was just wondering as to which punching-bag i should get....i guess ill go with an everlast...

i would, they are hard as hell and may take a while to get used to. but it will build power and they (everlast bags) are very durable

Beat it into relaxing!

My garage is a graveyard for punch/kick bas I've destroyed over the years. It save me buying bags to throw and GnP, I guess!

Beat it into relaxing!

My garage is a graveyard for punch/kick bas I've destroyed over the years. It save me buying bags to throw and GnP, I guess!

well put, i dont really care for them once they soften up.

Just keep kicking and punching man. I have bruises on my shins right now because last night my teacher made me get off the softer bag and use the rock hard one. The soft ones might make a nice *smack* noise, but the hard ones will kill those nerves, which is what you're after. Dont give your shins time to heal, either. If you wait a few too many days and kick the bag again, the nerves will be in a state of repair and hurt even more than before. Kick and punch through the pain.

Self-taught?

You should be able to kick any heavy bag full force without pain.

And stop kicking with your foot, jesus. My foot hurts just thinking about you kicking that 100lb bag over and over with your foot instead of your shin.

Suck up your pride and get some training bro.

^keep hitting the bag, it will get better. the everlast bags are great. you want there to be hard spots, they help you build power.

hard spots help you build power??? wtf are you talking about

EVERLAST around 80lbs sandbags sucked! got rid of them lost about 30lbs bag is great. One good winter of beatings to soften up certian strike spots. wieghted bag gloves no wraps you'll be throwing bricks... Don't your foot tendons get destroyed? ouch.

hard spots help you build power??? wtf are you talking about

wtf do you think? you dont agree that the more resistance you get from the bag, the more power you learn to generate? isnt this kind of common sense?

you should be using gloves and hand wraps when you are hitting the bag, i'm sure that the top of the bag is less hard than the bottom so practice HKs until you toughen your legs up. also don't throw CC style kicks to the hard areas yet and just take time getting used to it and eventually you will be able to kick full power. think of every session you put into the bag as a chance to break it in more. i had the same bag as you and now its uniformly broken in. good luck and have fun.

edit: also you can practice clinching the bag and throwing knees which wont hurt as much as kicks and a knee will soften/loosen up the hard areas better than the kicks. and you get to practice knees

I also got an everlast heavy bag, and I too had the hard spots. It felt like hitting a brick, Iknow what you mean.

My solution:

I took all the sandbags and laid them side by side on a big towel. I rolled the bags up in the towel to keep all the bags in a straight line. This created a cylinder shape. I put a bunch of duct tape all over it to keep the bags in the towel in the cylinder shape. I aligned it in the center of the bag and packed all the stuffing around it. Now it is awesome! All the sandbags are aligned in the center, and I didn't loose the weight of the bag.

I just bought a 100 lb. Everlast punching bag, but when I kick this thing, it fricken hurts. The bag is too hard. I don't know what they put in it, but it hurts to kick it.
My TKO brand bag had strips of cloth and foam in it and it was soft, even in the areas where it's really compacted.
Anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone have a way to make it softer?
Thanks.

OMG: Don't mean to discourage you but an Everlast Bag? They're known to rip when you hit hard enough. My shins took about a month or kicking a heavy banana thai bag before i stop feeling the pain, but everlast bags don't even compare to those thai bags. Back in the days we used Permabilt.

hmmm.... i've had a couple of everlast bags and never had one rip. i dont kick much, but i have cinder blocks for hands and beat the shit out of my heavy bag daily. that said, i dont doubt that there are higher quality bags out there

I've got the same exact problem, its only at the bototm of the bag though. And it sucks when that things spinning and i go to kick it im thinking oh shit her it comes. then it'll be a soft spot, and ill go again thinking the same thing then feel like i broke my foot.

I have had an Everlast bag that has lasted 25 years - I finally had to duct tape it but that was at least 15 years in.

Back