Punching technique with boxing gloves vs MMA gloves?

I try to do a couple of rounds bare knuckles on the bag.

I find that the feedback is immediate when you don't have proper technique and you don't wear glove.

Also, should I ever have to punch someone barknuckles, it's important that my hands are at least a bit prepared.

MMA boxing? Nonexistent, poor, sloppy and flailing haymakers and limited punches that is shamefully prominent in modern day MMA/UFC boxing? Yeah..... there's no such thing as MMA boxing imo. They can't box for shit.

I punch with the heavy bag with MMA gloves the same way I would do with boxing gloves. However it took a lot of practice. First you must get the proper form on boxing gloves, and then you slowly transition into MMA gloves. If your form is not correct then you will deal with wrist injuries and stuff like that. I can throw jab cross hook uppercuts with MMA gloves just fine. If anything, sometimes my thumb gets caught when throwing hooks but that's about it.

Once you learn how to box properly with boxing gloves you can feel how different it is with MMA gloves. When the MMA gloves get easier to feel and work with you start to understand even better about proper form, distance, positioning of fist, and all the little nuances. That's when all of a sudden you can punch endlessly with MMA gloves and not injure yourself at all.

MMA boxing? Nonexistent, poor, sloppy and flailing haymakers and limited punches that is shamefully prominent in modern day MMA/UFC boxing? Yeah..... there's no such thing as MMA boxing imo. They can't box for shit.

I punch with the heavy bag with MMA gloves the same way I would do with boxing gloves. However it took a lot of practice. First you must get the proper form on boxing gloves, and then you slowly transition into MMA gloves. If your form is not correct then you will deal with wrist injuries and stuff like that. I can throw jab cross hook uppercuts with MMA gloves just fine. If anything, sometimes my thumb gets caught when throwing hooks but that's about it.

Once you learn how to box properly with boxing gloves you can feel how different it is with MMA gloves. When the MMA gloves get easier to feel and work with you start to understand even better about proper form, distance, positioning of fist, and all the little nuances. That's when all of a sudden you can punch endlessly with MMA gloves and not injure yourself at all.
<DontBelieve1>
How can you punch endlessly with mma gloves at full power and not wreck your hand....You must have iron hands or weak punches.

<DontBelieve1>
How can you punch endlessly with mma gloves at full power and not wreck your hand....You must have iron hands or weak punches.

This isn't a new concept. Have you ever heard of a bag mitt? It's literally NO protection outside of a thin layer of leather to save you from cuts, basically bare. Here is Regis Prograis going nuts on tires and the bag wearing nothing but bag mitts. The purpose of bag mitts is to make sure you punch correctly (using the knuckles), and also use correct form when it comes to wrist positioning.

I've seen AJ and Terence Crawford use them in clips as well.

This video gives a good breakdown as to what the benefits are

The first difference is between barehands and anything with hand wrappings...
I have hybrid aprroach and don't advocate TMA or so called " Modern arts " discussions, also I think that boxe and wrestlings are with such a old roots that might be called old arts.

As for fist usage, I initially had TMA old school approach with barehands, in this way I learned how to use fist and used IRL before used wrappings etc.
So I was comfortable to make proper fist without wrappings and gloves. And beat, of course.
When with wrappings initially I had bad feeling cos muscle memory and had to adapt. Modern sport arts likes me and there no intent to do idiotic discussion art vs art etc.

If person at first learned to work with wrappings it isn't bad and is even good for sportsman.
However if you make barehand fist with this experience, usually too much air remains in closed fist barehands cos muscle memory developed with wrappings on.
Re learn 2different approaches is possible, better is to ask experienced person to check and advise You in person.
There also drillings with proper barehands fist closing on daily basis are used etc stuff.

I don't promise board or bricks breaking abilities or ability to beat bags 8 h per day but.... to beat assiliant with conditioned barehands with >20 blows is possible without damages to hand if don't heat forehead etc stuff.
Self defense<45> " bouts " usually are with 0 - 20 punches till they ends...

Last edited:
Boxing isn't about "damaging your hands with each strike" as one may think. This isn't an "eye for an eye" deal where you punch out your hands in order to destroy an opponent. Mastery of the punching technique is to hurt others and not be hurt in return. I am no master at all, far from it as well. I learned how to box a little decently. One thing I'm struggling with right now is over reaching during sparring some times, or not always getting that perfect 90 degree hook punch. Lol.

Isn't but even world top superstars not always are able to land punch where aimed. What I can dream?
Of course I know where to beat etc and have IRL exp, but I'm nor ideal nor unbeatable guy.
Especially if there's assiliant instead of previously excepted beating.

Back