'Pure Genocide': Over 6,000 Nigerian Christians Slaughtered, Mostly Women and Children

America's media and political leaders did give a fuck about Africa even when the President was black.

Anyone else remember this virtue signaling gem?

2014%2F05%2F08%2Fae%2FMichelleOba.7540e.jpg

And 'our girls' still haven't been brought back.

But it did get a shitload of retweets.

Much later history than the British Empire? It lasted until 1980 technically and was still in force into WWII...

My point is the level of secularism is not necessarily quite as correlated with this nebulous progress you're alluding to.

The slow decline of religion in Europe started in the 16th century. I never said religion was gone, it's just gradually gotten less and less influence on how societies behave and develop, which has been to the better.

The slow decline of religion in Europe started in the 16th century. I never said religion was gone, it's just gradually gotten less and less influence on how societies behave and develop, which has been to the better.
Has really been to the better though? The decline of religion and the rise of nationalism saw the brutal colonization of Latin America, Africa, and Asia and ultimately led to the two World Wars. And now we're seeing the nation-state model implode all around the world leading to bloody civil wars such as in Syria and Yemen. You can try to bring up the wars of religion but they pale in comparison to the wars of nationalism in terms of scale and horror.

Has really been to the better though? The decline of religion and the rise of nationalism saw the brutal colonization of Latin America, Africa, and Asia and ultimately led to the two World Wars. And now we're seeing the nation-state model implode all around the world leading to bloody civil wars such as in Syria and Yemen. You can try to bring up the wars of religion but they pale in comparison to the wars of nationalism in terms of scale and horror.

The warring nature is unfortunately consistently present (religion didn't stave that off at all in my view), but yes, I'd say that people in the west have it better now than hundreds of years ago, and both due to philosophy and science. Still tons of problems, but "better" is a relative term.

The warring nature is unfortunately consistently present (religion didn't stave that off at all in my view), but yes, I'd say that people in the west have it better now than hundreds of years ago, and both due to philosophy and science. Still tons of problems, but "better" is a relative term.
People? Which people? The people living in the collapsing nation-states spread by the West? They seem to be suffering immensely. How about the people who paid for the current order? The hundreds of millions who died in the 20th century as a result of the so called "progress" you allude to? Make no mistake, things are great now because countless others paid the historical bill for you but the price was immense, unlike anything ever seen in human history. Very easy to say it all worked out when you didn't pay that bill and aren't paying it today like Syrians, Nigerians, Congolese, Yemenis, Rohingya, Palestinians, Kurds, Kashimiris etc.

Religion didn't stave off warfare but it didn't put it on steroids like the nationalist world order did.

People? Which people? The people living in the collapsing nation-states spread by the West? They seem to be suffering immensely. How about the people who paid for the current order? The hundreds of millions who died in the 20th century as a result of the so called "progress" you allude to? Make no mistake, things are great now because countless others paid the historical bill for you but the price was immense, unlike anything ever seen in human history. Very easy to say it all worked out when you didn't pay that bill and aren't paying it today like Syrians, Nigerians, Congolese, Yemenis, Rohingya, Palestinians, Kurds, Kashimiris etc.

Religion didn't stave off warfare but it didn't put it on steroids like the nationalist world order did.

The discussion started with someone thinking that the west has great nations to live in because of Christianity, so those people. I think you're having a different discussion than the one you jumped into.

The wealth of the west has been, and still is, built on exploiting other parts of the world. That was no different when Christianity was at it's peak, and I'd say that less money went to pure aid of other people and nations back then. But to really be relevant to what you jumped into you should rather say what Christianity did that made all the good things we have, or why it was better. Otherwise it's a change of topic.

The discussion started with someone thinking that the west has great nations to live in because of Christianity, so those people. I think you're having a different discussion than the one you jumped into.
My argument is that its not as consequential either way. I don't think Christianity was the reason for the rise of the West but I'm also pushing back against the notion that it was the source of our ills and that secularism is necessarily th best way to organize society. Like I said, England to this day has a national church and so does Denmark. You can say the population isn't religious but at the institutional level those states are not secular and yet they are immensely wealthy.
The wealth of the west has been, and still is, built on exploiting other parts of the world. That was no different when Christianity was at it's peak, and I'd say that less money went to pure aid of other people and nations back then. But to really be relevant to what you jumped into you should rather say what Christianity did that made all the good things we have, or why it was better. Otherwise it's a change of topic.
Not really, certainly not in terms of scale. The scale of plunder, exploitation, and violence massively increased with the waning of the power of the church and the rise of nationalism and the empires that brought with it(Spanish, English, French). Its not that the Church was a bulwark against those things, its that the nationalist order in Europe allowed for those things more so than the pre-national one which was founded more so on the Church.

So sure, we "progressed" materially but only, as you admit, through exploitation of other peoples which reached an unprecedented scale as the nation-state model eclipsed the power of the Church.

My argument is that its not as consequential either way. I don't think Christianity was the reason for the rise of the West but I'm also pushing back against the notion that it was the source of our ills and that secularism is necessarily th best way to organize society. Like I said, England to this day has a national church and so does Denmark. You can say the population isn't religious but at the institutional level those states are not secular and yet they are immensely wealthy.

Not really, certainly not in terms of scale. The scale of plunder, exploitation, and violence massively increased with the waning of the power of the church and the rise of nationalism and the empires that brought with it(Spanish, English, French). Its not that the Church was a bulwark against those things, its that the nationalist order in Europe allowed for those things more so than the pre-national one which was founded more so on the Church.

So sure, we "progressed" materially but only, as you admit, through exploitation of other peoples which reached an unprecedented scale as the nation-state model eclipsed the power of the Church.

I never said that it was the source of all ills, that's a straw man. The church does not hold power over the course of where those nations go, and if anything secular philosophy has changed Christianity quite a lot. Most Christians seem to try their best to bend the words of the religion so it doesn't clash with the lives we lead.

The scale of plunder and exploitation increased with the technology to do so, but unless you think that religion has anything to do with lowering it then it really doesn't matter to the argument. When it comes to wars I wouldn't say that, for example, the Thirty Years' War was any better than our latter wars, and back then you certainly had plenty of claims of divine right to fight.

The progress is not only material either, people have more rights, are better educated, etc, than ever.

Christian genocide has been going on for years now. It reached its peak under obama

Can you genocide a religion? I don't think so

As for Nigerians they have like 8 kids on average.

Yes I think you should be more concerned your governments genocidal race replacement and those who advocate it, rather than a fake genocide of Nigerian Christians.

I never said that it was the source of all ills, that's a straw man. The church does not hold power over the course of where those nations go, and if anything secular philosophy has changed Christianity quite a lot. Most Christians seem to try their best to bend the words of the religion so it doesn't clash with the lives we lead.
I never claimed that you said it was the source of all our ills, so that's the actual strawman here.
The scale of plunder and exploitation increased with the technology to do so, but unless you think that religion has anything to do with lowering it then it really doesn't matter to the argument. When it comes to wars I wouldn't say that, for example, the Thirty Years' War was any better than our latter wars, and back then you certainly had plenty of claims of divine right to fight.

The progress is not only material either, people have more rights, are better educated, etc, than ever.
It does matter because the implication of your original argument is that separating church and state is led to Western dominance despite the fact the quintessential Western world power, the British Empire, had and still has a national church. The nation-state is still the dominant mode even within that country but they did not need to formally become secular to "progress"

The Thirty Years War had less than 250,000 casualties, there are single battles in both WW 1 and 2 that eclipsed that casualty rate. Even the Syrian Civil War has surpassed that casualty rate and it did so in less than thirty years. There's just no comparison in terms of scale whatsoever.

As far as people having more rights today, consider the fact people living hundreds of years ago did not need them from their state because their states did not penetrate their lives to anywhere near the extent that the modern state does.

I never claimed that you said it was the source of all our ills, so that's the actual strawman here.

It does matter because the implication of your original argument is that separating church and state is led to Western dominance despite the fact the quintessential Western world power, the British Empire, had and still has a national church. The nation-state is still the dominant mode even within that country but they did not need to formally become secular to "progress"

The Thirty Years War had less than 250,000 casualties, there are single battles in both WW 1 and 2 that eclipsed that casualty rate. Even the Syrian Civil War has surpassed that casualty rate and it did so in less than thirty years. There's just no comparison in terms of scale whatsoever.

As far as people having more rights today, consider the fact people living hundreds of years ago did not need them from their state because their states did not penetrate their lives to anywhere near the extent that the modern state does.

No, the phrase "source of our ills" indicate a reference to all ills, so my interpretation is valid and the most likely. Not that I care about the semantic issue, you've clarified what you intended to say so that's all that matters.

I already explained that having a state church doesn't mean that religion actually has a dominant role in society by any means. Sweden had one while being one of the least religious nations on Earth, and there was certainly not any relevant influence from the church at the point where it was legally separated.

You're talking about pure battle casualties, and that's only part of the picture. The Thirty Years' War is attributed around 8 million casualties due to all effects of the war, and that in a Europe that had 70-something million people. Of course it's not on the scale of a world wide war, but again that's due to technology. The horrors of the Thirty Year's War are no lesser.

The people hundreds of years ago did need them because they had very few rights and were dominated by the nobility and the church. It's not like the need for human rights just appear when the state as a whole touches individual lives. And of course things are still developing and it's still embarrassingly recently that everyone got equal rights to vote in our nations. We have a long way to go, but I have much more confidence that we'll get somewhere when religion doesn't control our lives. We still might steer wrong and fail though, since a country like the US actually has the same wealth distribution as medieval Europe had. Of course people today haver far better lives and rights, but it's still a very bad sign.

ahoy there Goonerview!

Nigerias population is set to explode. Their fertility rate is over 5 kids per woman and their population of over 200 million may eventually reach as high as 800 million.

i'm unclear if you see that as a good or bad thing.

if its a good thing, then good for the Nigerians.

if its a bad thing, then we should probably support leftist American Presidents who send US tax dollars to the region in the hopes of spurring birth control awareness and contraceptive distribution.

The "migrant crisis" as we know it has only just begun.

besides locking our doors and keeping these troubled black people out of our collective countries, what should be done then, Goonerview?

- IGIT

I already explained that having a state church doesn't mean that religion actually has a dominant role in society by any means. Sweden had one while being one of the least religious nations on Earth, and there was certainly not any relevant influence from the church at the point where it was legally separated.
But you said separation of church and state, not society. State and society are not the same thing.
You're talking about pure battle casualties, and that's only part of the picture. The Thirty Years' War is attributed around 8 million casualties due to all effects of the war, and that in a Europe that had 70-something million people. Of course it's not on the scale of a world wide war, but again that's due to technology. The horrors of the Thirty Year's War are no lesser.
Its not just technology, its politics as well. In the prenational era armies were basically mercenaries. With the rise of nationalism you see the use of conscript armies which force millions of people who would otherwise not join the army to die for "their nation". So the increase in scale very much has to do with the rise of nationalism which correlates with the waning of the church.
The people hundreds of years ago did need them because they had very few rights and were dominated by the nobility and the church. It's not like the need for human rights just appear when the state as a whole touches individual lives. And of course things are still developing and it's still embarrassingly recently that everyone got equal rights to vote in our nations. We have a long way to go, but I have much more confidence that we'll get somewhere when religion doesn't control our lives. We still might steer wrong and fail though, since a country like the US actually has the same wealth distribution as medieval Europe had. Of course people today haver far better lives and rights, but it's still a very bad sign.
They didn't need rights because they didn't have them? Huh? That makes no sense, that's precisely when you need them. So why didn't people agitate for rights in the same way? Because their social, political, and economic structures didn't require it. They didn't live in anonymous industrial societies, they lived in close knit, local communities were such things were regulated by local custom with little input from their distant rulers.

Can you genocide a religion? I don't think so

As for Nigerians they have like 8 kids on average.

Yes I think you should be more concerned your governments genocidal race replacement and those who advocate it, rather than a fake genocide of Nigerian Christians.
<6>

If Caucasoids didn't go around the World spreading their religion, none of this would of happen.

Christian genocide has been going on for years now. It reached its peak under obama

ahoy Bloodworth,

naw, my friend.

the p4p King of christian genocide was President Nixon (though one could make an argument for President Reagan, i guess).

- IGIT

But you said separation of church and state, not society. State and society are not the same thing.

Its not just technology, its politics as well. In the prenational era armies were basically mercenaries. With the rise of nationalism you see the use of conscript armies which force millions of people who would otherwise not join the army to die for "their nation". So the increase in scale very much has to do with the rise of nationalism which correlates with the waning of the church.

They didn't need rights because they didn't have them? Huh? That makes no sense, that's precisely when you need them. So why didn't people agitate for rights in the same way? Because their social, political, and economic structures didn't require it. They didn't live in anonymous industrial societies, they lived in close knit, local communities were such things were regulated by local custom with little input from their distant rulers.

I said separation of church and state and other secular development.

Mercenary forces weren't the norm in all of Europe, and warring nations that were using mercenary armies were using them well into when nationalism ruled. My country was actually the main reformer when it came to this and we fielded what many see as the first modern army of conscripts in the 18th century, and nationalist wars had been around a long time before then. Religion really has nothing to do with this but rather the size of armies and how mercenaries were more likely to desert when tides turned against them. Karl XII talked a lot about his divine right to rule so religion was still certainly there.

Read my post again. I clearly wrote "the people hundreds of years ago did need them..." and it was a response you you saying that they didn't need them from their state (without a state, or other controlling force, to govern them the rights don't exist, as without enforcement rights don't mean much). People didn't agitate for rights because they had no power to do so, but the notion that they didn't need things like equality before the law is preposterous. The laws of the nobility, aka the land owners, certainly affected their lives a lot, but staging revolution isn't easy. It did eventually happen though and well before the industrialization.

I said separation of church and state and other secular development.
But the point is there are at least a few historical examples that betray that claim, best of all being the ascendancy of a non-secular world power in the British Empire. Being Protestant was very much a part of their identity even if the power church had been eclipsed by the state by then.
Mercenary forces weren't the norm in all of Europe, and warring nations that were using mercenary armies were using them well into when nationalism ruled. My country was actually the main reformer when it came to this and we fielded what many see as the first modern army of conscripts in the 18th century, and nationalist wars had been around a long time before then. Religion really has nothing to do with this but rather the size of armies and how mercenaries were more likely to desert when tides turned against them. Karl XII talked a lot about his divine right to rule so religion was still certainly there.
But religion is related because the waning of religion was caused by the ascent of nationalism and it was the ascent of nationalism that led the to rise of conscript armies and the bloodiest wars in history.
Read my post again. I clearly wrote "the people hundreds of years ago did need them..." and it was a response you you saying that they didn't need them from their state (without a state, or other controlling force, to govern them the rights don't exist, as without enforcement rights don't mean much). People didn't agitate for rights because they had no power to do so, but the notion that they didn't need things like equality before the law is preposterous. The laws of the nobility, aka the land owners, certainly affected their lives a lot, but staging revolution isn't easy. It did eventually happen though and well before the industrialization.
The law hardly mattered much outside of major urban centers where only a minority of the population lived. For most people the state was a relatively distant entity before the rise of the nation-state and the issues you're talking about were governed by local customs. Was it perfect? No but the point is much of the rights that were granted arose out of the necessities engendered by the rise of the industrialized nation-state model itself. It was solving a problem that it itself had created.

Usually when weaker civilizations get conquered by a stronger one, over the next centuries the conquered slowly assimilate into the conqueror's culture and become a unified whole. In this case the British took control of the small random kingdoms in the south of present-day Nigeria then conquered and glued them together with the Islamic kingdom in the north. But because of WW2 they didn't have the resources to follow-through. Now we have a pot-pourri Africa who's going to spend the next hundreds of years killing each other to figure out which culture should be dominant.

Back