pushy parents home schooling there kids for bjj

I seriously still do not get what is so important about going to a physical school? If the educational demands are met and even exceeded...the world is a very large place. Niches can be made in almost any field. Due to modern civilization and technology, the need to be a generalists isn't how experts in field are developed. Yes a working knowledge of how things work is useful, but past that not needed to survive and financially prosper.

For what it's worth positional control is superior to weak and sloppy submissions.

I heard that once the sub is on, the IBJJF ref stops the fight and give the win away.

No time to attempt to defend the sub.

Is that true?

Daytime work for home school kids:

Sleep (high level athletes need more)
Strength & Conditioning
Film Study
School

I have no issues (but would not do it) if a parent goes this route. By and large HS kids score better on tests. I knew a kid who did this for golf and was very well rounded.

Again, bitch about the absent parent there are a lot more of them around.

I totally agree with you, particularly on the parent's pushing it for whatever the reason. I'm willing to give my daughter the opportunity for private coaching, private leagues, and more because A.) She enjoys it. B.) I can afford it C.) She is well above the average performance level for her age. If any of those three factors change, the lessons will have to go too.

I tried to get my kiddo into BJJ, she took a few classes, and decided she didn't want to do it...so I never asked her to again...I don't ever want to be the father equivalent of a dance mom or child pageant mom...I hate asshats like that, regardless of the competition. I have my own stuff (BJJ competitions, a small business I'm building from the ground up, and a few other hobbies) that I don't need to live vicariously through my child and when I see parents that do...I feel bad for them.

Yup, thats my outlook as well. I'd LOVE if my daughter wanted to play the sports that I was interested in. That said, the sports she plays is completely up to her.My only requirements are that she finishes the season and puts in the effort to excel in whatever sport she tries.And she must train one martial art for self defense.

AOJ definitely has an impressive kids team too. I've heard of quite a few of the kids from there training full time and have some of the best coaches around. I'm real interested to see how they end up turning out as Black Belt adults though.I predict that somewhere out there there are kids their same age playing multiple different sports that haven't even started BJJ or just doing BJJ for recreation that will end up beating those same kids 10-15 years from now at Black belt adult.

You have a gigantic advantage if you start from black belt level at 15 rather then from being a white belt. Minor gains of athleticism are nothing compared to technique. The more serious physical advantages seem to be mostly genetics and steroids.

Last edited:
You have a gigantic advantage if you start from black belt level at 15 rather then from being a white belt. Minor gains of athleticism are nothing compared to technique. The more serious physical advantages seem to be mostly genetics and steroids.

I disagree. Many of the adults killing it are guys that started in their teens. Notice none of the Gracies that started in the womb are killing it at Worlds.Cobrinha started as an adult,Yuri Simoes started as a teen. Keenan Cornelious started as a teen,Tim Spriggs started as a teen,Caio Terra started at 16,that's off the top of my head. I'm sure they have all beaten guys that have trained since kids.Many guys that make it in the NFL didn't play Pop Warner since kids,many Track Olympians started track in HS. As a matter of fact,most of the Sprinters that were at State for California(toughest state for Track) started in HS. I can't think of one that ran club as a kid. Even though looking at it mathematically, you'd think that one guy who competed since 4 years old would beat a guy who started at 15 just off sheer mat time. But there are many other more important intangibles other than mat time. People might get burnt out,locked into specific games, have a Fixed mindset,absorb new techniques slower, get over confident, when training just BJJ for competition that long. Hell most instructors get burnt out teaching in under 10 years. Look how few instructors teach the bulk of their classes after 10 years. They get younger assistants that are still hungry with BJJ.

I don't see how the track comparison equates. There are styles and technique in track, but the skill and technique needed in bjj, wrestling, judo, gymnastics, golf, tennis, far exceed track. This is not to take away from the hard work track athletes put in. But the timing and refinement requirements differ.

Last edited:
I don't give a hoot what others think.
Why should I?
I pay for all the bills. If my son ends up in jail I am the one responsible. No one else will shoulder the responsibility.
It's my job as a parent to make sure my child is ready for the harsh realities of the world.
Being average at everything amounts to being average.

i realize that if you want to be the best in the world at something, you need to actually sacrifice pretty much every other aspect of life and just go all in. so i'm not opposing that, at all.

but i wonder, do you really feel like the decision that your son will go all in for a certain sport lies only on you? don't you think your son should have a say in this? it's the "if he ends up in jail, i'm responsible, no one else" part that has me scratching my head here. it's you who took a gamble, and a big one, and now you're talking about taking responsibility, but it isn't you who's paying the consequences, it's the kid rotting in jail, or lacking a proper education because he couldn't cut it in sport.

again, not disputing the obvious facts of what it takes to become an olympian / world champion. but saying you take responsibility for a fucked up a life is really easy when it isn't your life that's potentially going to get screwed.

i've known aspiring olympic gymnasts and tkd martial artists that were homeschooled. so people just have loftier goals than fun and games.

but i wonder, do you really feel like the decision that your son will go all in for a certain sport lies only on you? don't you think your son should have a say in this?

um, okay, now where is your proof that the kids DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS???
i would say that most kids that leave school to do a sport or act love what they are doing

you think if you go to the tennis compound in florida that you are going to find a bunch of kids who hate tennis but are fulfilling their parents' fantasies???

the main thing with homeschooling is you want kids to go out and have friends and etc and i would think they are very social

plus, with common core public school is not worth a fuck. thanks fresh prince of nigeria aka Obama and minister of education Bill Gates

um, okay, now where is your proof that the kids DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS???
i would say that most kids that leave school to do a sport or act love what they are doing

you think if you go to the tennis compound in florida that you are going to find a bunch of kids who hate tennis but are fulfilling their parents' fantasies???

the main thing with homeschooling is you want kids to go out and have friends and etc and i would think they are very social

plus, with common core public school is not worth a fuck. thanks fresh prince of nigeria aka Obama and minister of education Bill Gates

easy there, tiger.

i was trying to point out that it's very easy to say "i take full responsibility", when it isn't your life that's being gambled with. the kid can love it more than anything, and it's still you who makes the final call, but it's their life that's gambled, not yours.

and yes, i do believe many parents who push their kids into professional sports are fulfilling their own fantasies. not all of them, of course not. if you see real talent and the kid loves it, i see no issue. better yet, if someone else sees real talent and the kid feels like they want to do it. but to try and deny the existence of glaringly obvious signs of fathers who fantasize about how awesome they themselves would've been had they just gone for it... well that's just ignorant.

and i'm not sure if the end of your post is racist or just good old retarded. i don't even follow US politics, but seriously, what the fuck.

easy there, tiger.

and i'm not sure if the end of your post is racist or just good old retarded. i don't even follow US politics, but seriously, what the fuck.

yet you take time to comment on it.

it is a joke on people saying that Obama is really Nigerian.
And it is a bit of a play on the nigerian prince scams and how some people feel that obama is a horrible president, and there was a show called fresh prince of bel air
relax. Nigeria is a country. It is not some new derogatory term.

but you feel that many parents are pushing their kids to do sports that the kids don't like but the parents do
without any proof but you just feel this

lol.

yet you take time to comment on it.

it is a joke on people saying that Obama is really Nigerian.
And it is a bit of a play on the nigerian prince scams and how some people feel that obama is a horrible president, and there was a show called fresh prince of bel air
relax. Nigeria is a country. It is not some new derogatory term.

but you feel that many parents are pushing their kids to do sports that the kids don't like but the parents do
without any proof but you just feel this

lol.

Obama never lived in Nigeria to my knowledge. You seem very ignorant.

Kenya? Last I checked Africa was still a continent

I know its a little OT but I actually work with a few child sports prodigies
I'm an electrician and I meet so many tradesmen who where scouted as youths for football (soccer)
When I was an apprentice the spark who taught me had been a youth goalkeeper for a major team and had played along some famous players. At sixteen he was brought into the office and the manager told him he hasn't made the cut and he would be starting an electrical apprenticeship the next day. The football league used to arrange apprenticeships for all the kids who didn't make it so at least they would have a good trade in plumbing etc.
He told me for every thousand kids who showed skill and promise only one may make it. I hear all the time guys boasting "my son got signed by arsenal!" And you can see them planning there retirement of there eleven year old.

In 90% of thee cases it's adults trying to live their failed dreams through their kids, which is really unhealthy. If the kid loves it and wants to be that good, sure that's fine but in almost all cases this isn't true and it's the adult pushing the kid into something they're not really into as a substitute for their inability to excel.

i realize that if you want to be the best in the world at something, you need to actually sacrifice pretty much every other aspect of life and just go all in. so i'm not opposing that, at all.

but i wonder, do you really feel like the decision that your son will go all in for a certain sport lies only on you? don't you think your son should have a say in this? it's the "if he ends up in jail, i'm responsible, no one else" part that has me scratching my head here. it's you who took a gamble, and a big one, and now you're talking about taking responsibility, but it isn't you who's paying the consequences, it's the kid rotting in jail, or lacking a proper education because he couldn't cut it in sport.

again, not disputing the obvious facts of what it takes to become an olympian / world champion. but saying you take responsibility for a fucked up a life is really easy when it isn't your life that's potentially going to get screwed.

You are assuming a lot.
Is English a second language for you? Serious question.

Your interpretation of what I wrote and way I approach this is inaccurate.

In 90% of thee cases it's adults trying to live their failed dreams through their kids, which is really unhealthy. If the kid loves it and wants to be that good, sure that's fine but in almost all cases this isn't true and it's the adult pushing the kid into something they're not really into as a substitute for their inability to excel.

This.

Yup, thats my outlook as well. I'd LOVE if my daughter wanted to play the sports that I was interested in. That said, the sports she plays is completely up to her.My only requirements are that she finishes the season and

"puts in the effort to excel in whatever sport she tries."

And she must train one martial art for self defense.

Is this different from what I am saying?

There seems to be a lot of misinterpretation, mixed with personal misnomers.
I write this not as a qualifier, but it's actually sad how some of you view this.

I am fortunate my child enjoys sports that I enjoy, and enjoys watching me continue to train, improve and at times compete.
I see training with my child as a father - child bonding time. He enjoys it. If he didn't he wouldn't initiate or get upset when he's punished by not having the privelege to train. It is also being a role model...to lead by example. Most of all the process to develop the mental will and discipline to train to win on the mat and in life. People may say personal discipline in one aspect of life doesn't transfer to the next...that may be true, but personal discipline is like a muscle, the more you train it correctly, the stronger it gets. People who lack will power and personal discipline don't just automatically get it when they want. It takes practice, work effort...essentially sweat equity.
And I'm not just talking about the mat. I'm talking about life in general. Former alcoholics, drug addicts and gamblers don't just develop an iron will to stay addiction free, it takes time and repetition of little things. Of delaying gratification. Of self denial. Of personal control of other aspects in life(exercise, diet, schedules, work, etc). Of working your tail off more than the last time and the other guy.

There is a lot of backlash on the soccer style participation trophy, yet some of you in this thread seem to demean training with the discipline to train to win, seeing it as parents who are trying to live vicariously through their children.

This is one reason why our great nation lags in international competition, innovation, technology, etc... the laissez faire attitude that carries over from school, sports, work, and of getting ahead. I'm not trying to keep up with the Joneses. I'm doing my best to surpass the Chings, the Khomeinis, the Klokovs. Maybe some of you will look down on me, but hopefully some of you will see this as I do and improve our nation.
For the rest of you oxygen hogs...barf.

90% of the parents out there do not train, have minimal or bad knowledge of the intricacies of the sports their children do, minimal to limited knowledge of psychology, pedagogy, periodization, child development, much less have the health to compete. I may not be formally trained in many fields, but I do have the tenacity to learn and investigate such, and most of all hire out when appropriate. Many of my injuries have had a cumulative effect, yet I still train and compete when plausible.

To clarify my child barely goes to bjj. He went to our Jits gym as recreation, maybe 12to15x last year. Yet we had approximately 150 training sessions as father-son, half of which he initiated. Bjj is not his primary sport.

Is this different from what I am saying?
This is one reason why our great nation lags in international competition, innovation, technology, etc... the laissez faire attitude that carries over from school, sports, work, and of getting ahead. I'm not trying to keep up with the Joneses. I'm doing my best to surpass the Chings, the Khomeinis, the Klokovs. Maybe some of you will look down on me, but hopefully some of you will see this as I do and improve our nation.
For the rest of you oxygen hogs...barf.

You know if you cut this paragraph you don't come off as a crazy person.

You are assuming a lot.
Is English a second language for you? Serious question.

Your interpretation of what I wrote and way I approach this is inaccurate.

english is indeed my second language. so what did i misinterpret?

again, it's the part about how you take responsibility for the gamble that's confusing me, not the part about what it takes to be world-class.

Back