Quebec's French-language watchdog agency will no longer bans "grilled cheese" and "cocktails" | Page 5

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Arkain2K, Sep 21, 2017.

1. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with Lederhosen

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP
    But that is a fallacious argument.

Language protections laws from the Conquest onwards would have helped French in Québec.

The lack of protection laws now would be detrimental to French.

It's not a binary thing.

And Québec is not at all in the same situation now as it was before.

Aside from some wave of immigration from Ireland and Scottland, which assimitated into French Canadian society OR joined the English speaking side, Québec was rather homogenous until like the 70s. Now there is mass-immigration, the internet etc.

2. grimballer Red Belt

grimballer
    But the reality simply doesn’t support your claims

French didn’t disappear as a language in North American over 250 years period when English had the power.

Now you’re under the impression it will disappear cause of internet n immigration?

You think ppl will be force to speak English in small Quebec towns without language protection?

It’s just fearmongering

3. Rex Kwon Do Black Lives Matter

Rex Kwon Do
    And you sound like a typical emotional, uninformed person.

Where did I say languages don't die, dumb-dumb? Did you miss the part where I mentioned that bilingualism is unstable?

Read this again and try and actually understand the point this time: Loanwords (or anglicisms) don't kill languages. Replacement does. Basque is not dying because of loanwords. Nor is Corsican, Occitan, or the various indigenous languages of North America, Australia, Russia, etc. etc. It's a normal, healthy process for languages to import loans. Again, look at English. Massive change to the language after the Norman conquest and subsequent rule. Did it kill English? No, though it changed it. Basque in Spain, despite its heavy influence from Spanish with regards to vocabulary and even pronunciation, is still Basque. No amount of loans is going to make it Spanish. Now, can it die out entirely and be replaced by Spanish? Yes. Nowhere have I denied that. But the process whereby that happens is not going to be because of Spanish loanwords. It's going to be because of the social prestige of Spanish, economic opportunities, taking Basque out of the classroom, local culture losing interest, etc. Lots of reasons. None of them loanword "intrusion."

Only scared old men and butthurt ignoramuses (which are you?) freak out over loanwords.

And no, Old English "absolutely" didn't die, using any meaningful definition of the word, it evolved. Like every single language has evolved over time. Again, find me a single example of a language that imported so many loans from another language that the language ceased to be spoken because it was either absorbed or went extinct. Make sure you can support your argument by showing it was loans, and not the things I mentioned earlier -- like social prestige, economy, government intervention, lack of schooling, etc. -- that did it. You won't find a single one.

(Hint: I know more about this topic than you and I'm multilingual, so try again.)

Arkain2K likes this.
  4. nefti Red Belt

nefti
    Let's face it, French will survive well without Quebec and probably for the better,.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  5. nefti Red Belt

nefti
    Let's clear up something: French will be fine and healthily. The horrible hillbilly accent you speak French with may dwindle. So let's not say "French this and French that".

6. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with Lederhosen

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP
    There are also quite a few cunts from the UK who say the same about American English.

But what's your angle, you have been spamming the same shit like 4 times ITT. We get it. Now STFU and move on.

Lol, why do you hate us so much ? Did your mother have to get an abortion after coming back from Québec or something ?

7. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with Lederhosen

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP
    That'sa reasonable post, to which I will respon when I have a little more time.

8. Arkain2K Si vis pacem, para bellum

Arkain2K
    [​IMG]

9. nefti Red Belt

nefti
    Yea there are versions of American English that if gone would be for the best. They come from Louisiana and surrounding states.

That being said, you are using "French will this and that" and that is simply not true. It's the weird accent French you speak and only that weird accent.

Or am I mistaken? If your accent dissappear would it be a blow to the French language being spoke globally?

Kafir-kun likes this.
  10. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with Lederhosen

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP
    You don't even speak French, lol, you are a mere unilingual English-speaker who is out of his element ITT.

Are you just butt-hurt because some waiter was rude to you because you spoke English once ? Or perhaps just a troll. Or I'll go with your mother getting fucked in Québec and your father finding out, because you look like you are really trying hard to make a point.

11. Rvd Slmr Red Belt

Rvd Slmr
    I strongly disagree, Quebec's obsession with translating everything is seen as something funny in France. The weirdest thing is when French Canadians just copy an English word and try to make it sound French. The vocabulary they built after the end of the French domination is full of calques and loan translations anyway. I still understand and fully support their will to keep their language.

I kinda disagree about Basque and Breton, they are now getting much more taught to the kids than they have ever been in the last hundred years. Obviously, they'll never be even close to become the main langage of their homeland, but they are not threatened to disappear anymore.

Corsican is doing okay, but it's a roman language like French and Italian. It's far more easier to learn than a nightmare like Basque.

12. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with Lederhosen

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP
    Dude I don't know any young person from Bretagne who can speak more than a few sentences in Breton.

For Basque I don't have personal experiences but I assume that it is even worse.

For Corsican, I was there recently. Young Corsicans speak French together. I only heard older folks speak Corsican. This means that the language is dying. Unfortunately.

13. nefti Red Belt

nefti
    i speak multiple languages. I can't write all fo them but i am fluent in two and can converse in the third.

Back do my original point:

French is not in danger. French is fine and will be fine. It is one minor insignificant accent of french that is in danger.

Do you disagree with this statement?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  14. Rvd Slmr Red Belt

Rvd Slmr
    I said kids and really meant that. They accelerated the opening of ikastolak and Diwan schools after 2000. People around 25 and over usually didn't have much opportunity to learn basque or breton (which are anyway too difficult to fully learned as an adult, unless you are a militant with an iron will).

15. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with Lederhosen

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP
    Please allow me to be skeptical.

Are the people teaching it native speakers ? And even then, the kids learning it today are native speakers in French. I believe that as soon as the "lineage" of a language is broken, that language is dead or almost.

16. nefti Red Belt

nefti

IIRC you are arguing that french would die. It won't, it's alive and thriving in multiple continents. The french you speak is insignificant in the french language. It would be like saying cousin marrying hillbilly english demise would "kill English". No, it won't.

17. Rvd Slmr Red Belt

Rvd Slmr
    That's a different point. I 100% agree that those languages were almost dead and doomed. I simply said that people started teaching them once again to some of the kids, something that had previously stopped for decades. Those kids will indeed still be first and foremost Native French speakers, it will be never be a situation where most people can jump between languages in their everyday lives, like it happens with the different Créoles in the French overseas islands.

Kafir-kun likes this.
  18. KBE6EKCTAH_CCP Arrow sash belt with Lederhosen

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP
    Please stop quoting.

You are a shitty little obvious troll.

19. 7437 Gold Belt

i love defending big government, but god damn this is stupid

20. nefti Red Belt

nefti
    Do you not agree with my post?

"IIRC you are arguing that french would die. It won't, it's alive and thriving in multiple continents. The french you speak is insignificant in the french language. It would be like saying cousin marrying hillbilly english demise would "kill English". No, it won't."