Question about sparring

B

BigSmile

Where is the line between 'going at it' and 'working on your technique'?

I am new to Thaiboxing and i love to spar. Got my ass kicked today, and after 8 minutes I walked away with a smile, i really love this sport. But I ask this question because it seems if I just go at it, and just try to hit the guy as much as possible people have trouble with me, i can be fast and am strong.. but .. its not really technical

If I try to go more in a defense mode, really try to do what we do during drills.. I seem to get my ass kicked, which is fine and logical... because my technique isn't good yet and I always try to spar with the better people in our gym

So understand my question? The time I really went for it I got thumbs up from my trainer with a compliment I always go 100%, and according to him I just did very well
Where should I focus on? Am I just not a defense type of guy and more aggressive? or is that hard to say now?

I wanted to ask after my last lesson but I forgot and I don't want to wait until monday because I want to think about it and be better again next lesson

Ps. I am not smiling during sparring, or something funny just happened :icon_chee

just try a gauge how hard your opponent wants to go and match them. Try to spar with different people that go at different intesnsity levels. With this less intense people really work on you technique and defense. USe intense people to get used to hard sparring and more of a real situation. YOU really need to spar both ways to get the most out of sparring

i do kyokushin karate
and have the same problems

if i sparr against good guys i try to be as aggressive as possible and stay close because i dont want to get kicked in the head lol

in "defensive-mode" i get my ass kicked soon :D

probably because i'm heavier and taller than my training partners this works well :)

just try a gauge how hard your opponent wants to go and match them. Try to spar with different people that go at different intesnsity levels. With this less intense people really work on you technique and defense. USe intense people to get used to hard sparring and more of a real situation. YOU really need to spar both ways to get the most out of sparring

So against the big, bully kind of guys who love to spar hard just go with it and enjoy the ride, with people that do less intense, work on the technique

one thing though: Wouldn't this mean I always let them decide how the 'fight' is going to be? Why shouldn't I be the one who decides that ?

i do kyokushin karate
and have the same problems

if i sparr against good guys i try to be as aggressive as possible and stay close because i dont want to get kicked in the head lol

in "defensive-mode" i get my ass kicked soon :D

probably because i'm heavier and taller than my training partners this works well :)

it works well if your aim is to not get beaten up,but not if your aim is to improve technically.

you can sit at home and not get beat up,you go to train to improve your striking i try never to rely on aggression and physical attributes theres no such thing as winning at training and if you do the above come come time to compete with someone your own size you will lose.

when you sparr, you decide how you go, but you need to set specific goals for each round. Like if you are sparring an experienced guy you set goals like strong defense and good countering, 2nd round keeping distance and acting first etc etc. when you are up against a weaker fighter work on using the whole ring, cutting off the ring, combos etc. if you walk away from a sparring session with only bruises and not learned anything then that is pretty much a waste of time. my 2 cents

If it works, use it. Do what works, and then build off it thats how you find your style.

Now I am getting some mixed answers and getting confused because of it

do you fight or just train. 80% of what you learn is from training and the other 20% is from sparring.

i only train with a couple of sparring sessions in the training itself, i find it very hard to transfer what i learn with bag work and technique to sparring

I am pretty proud that I don't get out of breath easily and that I can keep calm whatever the beating I am having haha but the transfering seems to be a problem. Example: Knowing what to do with a high kick, but 'forgetting' it with sparring

i only train with a couple of sparring sessions in the training itself, i find it very hard to transfer what i learn with bag work and technique to sparring

I am pretty proud that I don't get out of breath easily and that I can keep calm whatever the beating I am having haha but the transfering seems to be a problem. Example: Knowing what to do with a high kick, but 'forgetting' it with sparring

lol sounds good man, thats why I say set goals for your sparring. you sparr as normal but try and achieve your set goals in the process. something I tell my guys when you learn to block, learn to fire off straight after. only practise will get you what you want to achieve. good luck

you sparr as normal but try and achieve your set goals in the process.

i don't understand this part.

and goal setting would be?:

This sparring session I am going to work on my defend and counter every time

.. but could a goal setting also be?: I don't give a ** about my headache tomorrow, I am going to try to be the best sparring partner I can be for this guy

I think I am a bit of a loose cannon

i don't understand this part.

and goal setting would be?:

This sparring session I am going to work on my defend and counter every time

.. but could a goal setting also be?: I don't give a ** about my headache tomorrow, I am going to try to be the best sparring partner I can be for this guy

I think I am a bit of a loose cannon

to hone your skills you work on specifics, when you sparr set goals like you want to slip more punches then you parry or catch. or creating distance from your sparring partner to frustrate them so countering becomes more easier coz they take bigger risks to get to you, being fisrt to act, applying pressure and so forth. this is my 2 cents and how I train my guys to hone their skills.

When I spar I like to pick certain things to work on e.g.

- no blocking punches, just slipping
- defend attacks and immediately fire back a combo everytime (this is one of my largest weak spots, covering up with returning fire)
- end all combos with kicks

And so on. If your trainer is anything like mine he likes you going 100% because it means you are more aggressive and Thai boxing puts a large emphasis on being aggressive and constantly attacking. The problem is that it's hard to develop new skills when you're going all out.

In my opinion sparring should be broken down roughly equally between light, moderate and hard sparring. Each has their use.

And so on. If your trainer is anything like mine he likes you going 100% because it means you are more aggressive and Thai boxing puts a large emphasis on being aggressive and constantly attacking. The problem is that it's hard to develop new skills when you're going all out.

This is exactly what i noticed in the short time i am doing this sport. I love to go 100%, but it doesn't look anything ellegant at all..

To give some sort of an idea: A guy I sparred with called me 'hurricane'
I tell this in an attempt to get my question more clear, not in any way to act like some wild, crazy dude. I don't care about that shit, i am not 20 anymore

My goal is to become the best thai boxer i can be.

Back