Question about sparring

DariusDF

White Belt
Reaction score
Long read-

Hello. I am new to the Sherdog as well as Muay Thai. Over a decade ago I did some boxing and wrestling but exactly one month ago I started Muay Thai. Everything is going great, I am overweight but losing weight quick.

Now the question I have is in regards to sparring. I started the first day and went hard. I am not afraid to get hit and mix it up. I have been sparring with a guy with 15 years experience and 40 fights and another guy with 5 years experience and 15 fights. The issue I have is with guys that have a year or less experience (6 months). I am rapidly getting to their level or surpassing even while overweight and only a month in. A couple don't seem to like it. I check my head shots to them and go light, I am not trying to hurt them but they will not do the same. I can defend good enough but a couple have caught me good- I am not that good yet to block everything.

Today one guy really gave me a hard cross after I checked myself more then a couple times with hooks and bodyshots out of a clinch. As soon as he popped me I started bleeding slightly from my nose and kept going but the Kru stopped it and then he (opponent) and another member started mocking me in a very subtle way. I was not going to argue with them- I will never do that BUT should I get more aggressive and start popping this guy ( and a couple others) or respect his one year experience and keep checking my head shots and work on defense? Am I letting those guys get to me by responding like that? I want to be a good student and learn patience, that is why I am having this issue. Any advice from experienced fighters will be appreciated. Thank you.

Spar as hard as you wish, it should be a mutually agreed level. If people are taking liberties and throwing hard shots on the sly then I would hit them back.

If somebody hits you reallu hard, hit them back harder, but until that happens take it easy. Most people spar to move around and practice technique at a controlled pace, not to get migranes. Unless, it is for a fight team or competition team. But I would mind how much power you are putting into your shots at first.

You don't want to become that guy. Take your time with it, because once you get the reputation of being a bully, the heavy hitters will want to put you down on principal, there are always people that can kick your ass. If you're ahead of the game, power to you, just be respectful of the people who aren't. It's a long learning process. Good luck with the training.

Well, to be honest, those who are the worst to spar with are either testosterone filled total newbies or people who think they're awesome because they've trained for a little while and starts to feel comfortable.

I'd say you should just try and stay away from those who have no decency whilst sparring - going harder yourself will most likely just trigger them to go even harder, and things might get out of hand - which isn't that unusual from my experience - there will always be people who can't stand not winning/beeing the biggest baddest guy in the gym.

I'd also take it up with my instructor if I thought the issue wasn't getting better.

You already got good advice but definitely talk to the instructor if you feel you'd rather not spar with certain people.

A while back I sparred with a guy who is exactly like you describe. He was 6'3-6'4 about 195. I'm 5'8 195. I let him dictate the pace, I've been training for 13 years, & he just kept going harder & harder. He was trying to ko me in sparring. I finally just had enough & drilled him with a check right hook & he went out. I say lesson learned. He never came back. I always tell my guys to keep it light because all of us tend to speed up as we spar. It's just natural. I say don't spar with them or drop a bomb on them. About all you can do really. Some guys egos are so big they feel like they have to "win" every sparring match instead of learning. Good luck & keep us posted.

Smile it off (try to enjoy it even)- that will make them feel deflated

Gym rules,respect your training partners.
You give what you get,if they hit you 80% you return the favour 80%.If 40 % then you go 40%.The head trainer should be telling them to ease up if it gets too hot.
Always respect club mates.

Well, to be honest, those who are the worst to spar with are either testosterone filled total newbies or people who think they're awesome because they've trained for a little while and starts to feel comfortable.

I'd say you should just try and stay away from those who have no decency whilst sparring - going harder yourself will most likely just trigger them to go even harder, and things might get out of hand - which isn't that unusual from my experience - there will always be people who can't stand not winning/beeing the biggest baddest guy in the gym.

I'd also take it up with my instructor if I thought the issue wasn't getting better.
Man! +1. You said everything I wanted to say, only better.:p Sparring is supposed to fine tune your techniques, and acclimatize you with the ring traffic. If you want to test your power and stamina , go all out at the pad session. If you want to test your endurance, do it at the smoker (test how well you endure hard hits). In Thailand, trainers are always on the look out when foreign trainees spar. They definitely prefer trainee spar with trainer. There is much pride when foreigners spar, particularly between two different countries.

thank you for all the advice, everyone. I think I will keep my cool and stay strong. I will raise my defense and improve my skills and be kind towards them. I won't let them make training stressful. I enjoy it to much. I will spar against that guy again monday or tuesday and I will update what goes down. Thank you again for helping me out.

Some people get hit at 70% with leg kicks (using shinguards) and 30% at the head and they start to go near 100% with everything.
Like they got a brain or a liver in their thigh and they feel in danger for their lives. mbah.
Just a rant.
You had good advices.

The more experienced the fighter generally the sparring is a mutual agree depending how close a fight is for either. Newbies though can be dumb sometimes and think they're beating on a more experienced fighter until the experienced guy decide he's had enough. So if you are a newbie spar for technique and skills not to try and be tough or you may get hurt.

The more experienced the fighter generally the sparring is a mutual agree depending how close a fight is for either. Newbies though can be dumb sometimes and think they're beating on a more experienced fighter until the experienced guy decide he's had enough. So if you are a newbie spar for technique and skills not to try and be tough or you may get hurt.

I have held back my headshots with this guy more then a couple times and he does the same thing everytime to me- Pops me when he gets that one opening. I am not going to get angry but I will watch for it. I think it is a respect thing, don't hit a guy that hard if he is going light especially on the headshots...I will be more aware now.

Long read-

Hello. I am new to the Sherdog as well as Muay Thai. Over a decade ago I did some boxing and wrestling but exactly one month ago I started Muay Thai. Everything is going great, I am overweight but losing weight quick.

Now the question I have is in regards to sparring. I started the first day and went hard. I am not afraid to get hit and mix it up. I have been sparring with a guy with 15 years experience and 40 fights and another guy with 5 years experience and 15 fights. The issue I have is with guys that have a year or less experience (6 months). I am rapidly getting to their level or surpassing even while overweight and only a month in. A couple don't seem to like it. I check my head shots to them and go light, I am not trying to hurt them but they will not do the same. I can defend good enough but a couple have caught me good- I am not that good yet to block everything.

Today one guy really gave me a hard cross after I checked myself more then a couple times with hooks and bodyshots out of a clinch. As soon as he popped me I started bleeding slightly from my nose and kept going but the Kru stopped it and then he (opponent) and another member started mocking me in a very subtle way. I was not going to argue with them- I will never do that BUT should I get more aggressive and start popping this guy ( and a couple others) or respect his one year experience and keep checking my head shots and work on defense? Am I letting those guys get to me by responding like that? I want to be a good student and learn patience, that is why I am having this issue. Any advice from experienced fighters will be appreciated. Thank you.

Just try to improve, spar with people who are more experienced who will give you a chance not to learn as well. When you improve the douches will get what's coming to them if they stick around.

Either stop sparing them or go hard at them

I am going to go hard but without anger and taking it personal. It seems obvious the answer but sometimes I need to hear others say the obvious for it to sink in with me.

Hard to say. But if they hit you hard, hit them even harder. Sparring can get very heated at times, to the point where your partner wants to take your head off. IMO sparring should be light technical sparring or all out with headgear and big gloves... period... the more you try to play with %s the harder it is to know how hard to go.

Just keep sharp, know how hard your partners are going, and gladly return favor.

This is what Saekson has to say about sparring partners that go too hard: "First time happen, it okay...okay...Second time, okay...okay...Third time--elbow to face!"

Well depending on the image you're tryin to cultivate for yourself at this new gym I'd be careful. The obvious answer is definitely hit him back harder, but that's also the easiest answer. I hate that whole get hit, hit them back harder mentality. In my opinion it's what leads to brain damage, so maybe consider bein the bigger person. It sounds like you know what you should do but as with combat sports and the egos of males, shit devolves quickly and maybe just do your best to not sleep the kid completely.

Back