question about strength

shinobinoob

White Belt
Reaction score
At what point would someone be considered strong? What sort of weight would they have to be lifting in relation to their bodyweight in the big lifts etc ?

Imo,

2xbw bench press
2.5xbw squat
2.5xbw deadlift

Imo,

2xbw bench press
2.5xbw squat
2.5xbw deadlift

Source?

Is the premise behind these that you aren't considered strong until you have world class numbers in all lifts?

Weight room strength

Does not equal

Being Strong

Watch what happens when any puffed up weight junkie walks into an MMA gym.

Leverage, Functional Strength, Technique & Timing make someone strong IMO.

Weight room strength

Does not equal

Being Strong

Doesn't this just mean they're better fighters not stronger?

Strong = Strong, no matter how you look at it.

Someone who can bench teh 315lbs can get whipped by someone who can bench 135 in MMA. But that just means they're better at MMA.

I don't think there is any agreed upon criteria.

Powerlifters will generally laugh at you if you consider yourself strong with anything less than a 500lb deadlift and a 400lb squat, for example. Yet, to the general populace, the thought of moving such weight would seem ridiculous.

And to a martial artist, there's absolutely no reason to come close to getting a 500lb deadlift unless you're a wrestler and are in need of the ability to massively overpower your opponent.

Anyways, here's my personal opinion, and the one that I personally am striving to achieve in the long run-

3xbw x5 deadlift
2xbw x5 squat
1.5xbw x5 bench
200lbx5 OHP

Weight room strength

Does not equal

Being Strong

...and tautologies are tautological.

Weight room strength

Does not equal

Being Strong

Leverage, technique, and timing don't make someone strong. In fact they reduce the amount of strength needed to perform a task. I agree that weight room strength doesn't necessarily equal being strong in a non-weight room setting, but all other factors being equal, the guy putting up more weight in the gym will have an easier time with strength-related activities.

I think for the average joe at your average gym in America:
1.5x bw bench
2x bw squat
2.5x bw deadlift
1x bw strict press

These are pretty respectable numbers and will probably make you stronger than 90% of your fellow gym-goers.

Obviously if you're goal is to compete in some kind of strength sport (powerlifting, strongman, olympic lifting) these numbers would probably be a bit higher. Especially if you're looking to be competitive.

Imo,

2xbw bench press
2.5xbw squat
2.5xbw deadlift

Lol, like fuck. A 200lb man benching 400lbs, squatting and pulling 500lbs is considered strong well before reaching those numbers anywhere outside of regional meets.

Wendler's (?) standard is a good starting point IMO - 1.5bw bench, 2bw squat and dl being considered respectable for the average man.

Weight room strength

Does not equal

Being Strong

What about if they hard farm strength?

Weight room strength

Does not equal

Being Strong

Please define "functional strength"

Please define "functional strength"

I think it's up there somewhere in between "old man strength" and "retard strong." It can ONLY be achieved through muscle confusion. And oranges. Lots and lots of oranges.

Also, strong for what purpose? If you're competing in boxing, and you aren't elite(or a HW) the answer would probably be something like "don't worry about it and get back to your goddamn road work. "Strong" isn't some metaphysical concept that you just achieve at one point, it's a series of biological capabilities we interpret against a social context- there's no real meaning unless we know who you're comparing yourself to, and what feats you're using to measure.

Someone who competes in amateur sumo and primarily uses barbell lifts (randomly pulling examples) is going to have a different idea of what measures strong than a guy who does recreational BJJ and ....i dunno primarily does bodyweight and gymnastic movements.

What about if they hard farm strength?

I know you're joking. But every farmer I've ever met seemed to have hands like vice grips. No joke. Those dudes are very strong. Strong in different ways than weight room strength. In fact, I've never met a weak farmer unless he was like 90 years old. Farm strength is real. I wish I had it.

1x bw bench
1.5xbw squat
2xbw dl

These are good starting numbers. They should be easily attainable with a year or so of solid training (maybe less if you are only lifting) and then someone could say they aren't weak. At that point the person would have to define their future strength goals depending on their overall goals (MMA? Muay Thai? Football? etc)

Back