Question for Marcelo Garcia students

Uchi Mata

Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks
@Gold
Reaction score
Are Mondays a good night to go, and which classes should a slightly older but still competitive (on the regional scene) brown belt attend? I'm going to be in town the first week of June and I'm really hoping to come by, work and some lingering lower back issues permitting.

Also, does Marcelo teach Monday night classes?

Are Mondays a good night to go, and which classes should a slightly older but still competitive (on the regional scene) brown belt attend? I'm going to be in town the first week of June and I'm really hoping to come by, work and some lingering lower back issues permitting.

Also, does Marcelo teach Monday night classes?

The Monday 8 pm class is purple belt and up. It's a good class, there are definitely lots of great people to roll of various ability levels (ranging from serious hobbyists to dream team types). Marcelo teaches it (99 percent of the time).

If you're talking about Monday, 6/1, though, I'm not sure how many people will be back from worlds or will be taking a day off, or if Marcelo will be back (assuming he goes out to coach).

The Monday 8 pm class is purple belt and up. It's a good class, there are definitely lots of great people to roll of various ability levels (ranging from serious hobbyists to dream team types). Marcelo teaches it (99 percent of the time).

If you're talking about Monday, 6/1, though, I'm not sure how many people will be back from worlds or will be taking a day off, or if Marcelo will be back (assuming he goes out to coach).

Yeah, I didn't think about that. I'll probably come by anyway, if Marcelo isn't teaching who does?

Yeah, I didn't think about that. I'll probably come by anyway, if Marcelo isn't teaching who does?

Paul or Bernardo... in this case probably Paul (Bernardo will probably still be on the west coast). There will still probably 30+ purples and up in the class, many of whom are very tough.

Damn Mundials. I was really hoping to meet Marcelo and Bernardo and roll with some of the new wrecking crew black belts.

I also have a question. Does Marcelo ever glow? Like, I don't know, like he hits a perfect butterfly armdrag to RNC....stands up and begins to glow and levitate?

I'll probably come by anyway, if Marcelo isn't teaching who does?
Paul Schreiner. Never trained there myself, but he's a really good coach from what I've heard.

I trained in this class when I went...it's a tough one. But I could handle myself, except when I rolled with Paul, He destroyed me. Shoulder pressure felt like a ton of stones (not broccoli).
It's the best class to attend, since you're a brown.

Too bad Marcelo was having knee surgery and I couldn't meet him :icon_cry2

is it true that marcelo's body is so wrecked that he only rolls with the women, at the moment? (serious question)

Paul Schreiner. Never trained there myself, but he's a really good coach from what I've heard.

Paul taught the super early AM class when I was at MG's for a week. He is an EXCELLENT coach and a really nice dude.

is it true that marcelo's body is so wrecked that he only rolls with the women, at the moment? (serious question)

Marcelo had ACL (knee) surgery. When he was rehabbing and just getting back to rolling again, he rolled with lighter people for a bit of time.

I also have a question. Does Marcelo ever glow? Like, I don't know, like he hits a perfect butterfly armdrag to RNC....stands up and begins to glow and levitate?

no
but he walks across water and feeds the entire school with just one bread and fish.
He is in fact BJJ Jesus Christ.

Marcello puts his pants on one let at a time just like everybody else.

uAJgAQ0.gif

It's ok. We don't believe you ;)

And what we are talking about isn't out of disrespect. Rather, its out of respect. When I met him awhile back, I thought he was one of the nicest human beings I have ever met. Super humble and just had this positive infectious vibe about him. He has no idea who I am, yet he really took his time to just talk to me. Such a nice guy. I'm glad there are people like him in our community. Something to strive for. Not just his skills, but as a person.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure Marcelo leg drags his pants onto his legs, just like he arm drags his shirts on.

Back