Question on Kneeing the bag

Eric Renzo NH

Green Belt
Reaction score
OK, so i've been doing BJJ for about 2 years, and this past week i started doing MMA. The reason i waited so long is i wanted to get a solid base in something before i started MMA. But anyways...

We were doing drills on the bag and one of them was kneeing the bag 25 times with alternating knees. I could feel as i was doing it that my left knee was bruised to hell. My right one wasn't that bad because i had my wrestling kneepad on that one. Like i said, i knew it was going to be bruised, but i didn't expect it to be this bad. That was last Wednesday, on thursday it was so sore it was insane. I skipped BJJ that night, and went on Friday. On friday when i was rolling, if someone touched my knee, even just a little bit it was unbelievable pain. I've been off since then and now the bruise has set in. It's blue and purple and everything, but what really concerns me is it feels like there's fluid in there.

So I have a few questions. 1: has anyone had any experience like this, and if so how do i knee the bag without this result. 2: Could it be anything worse then a severe bruise? (ex: ligament, tendant damage) 3: Any advice beyond icing the knee?

Hmm, i think everyone's been there before. Some heavybags are just so hard, there's really nothing you can do to prevent bruising. I'm no doctor, but I've never heard of anyone suffering ligament damage just by throwing knees to a bag. Are there any other bags in your gym? Find a slightly softer one maybe.

it sounds like you were doing it wrong - you might want to ask your instructor

the worst i get is hairs that get pulled out from hitting the bag - a little bruising but nothing major

Man i know what you;re talking about but ive never heard of anyone getting injured...i'm def. NO Doc though so if you got Med coverage might as well get it looked at. BTW you can def get some swelling and shit from bruises just wait until you start sparring and those knees and low kicks are wacking your thigh :( lol

I've never had this kind of injury from kneeing the bag, but I've seen what you're describing from other sports. I'm no doctor, but it sounds like a bursa issue. Get it checked out, and best of luck.

Try striking with the inside of your thigh\knee instead of the point of your knee.

OK, so i've been doing BJJ for about 2 years, and this past week i started doing MMA. The reason i waited so long is i wanted to get a solid base in something before i started MMA. But anyways...

We were doing drills on the bag and one of them was kneeing the bag 25 times with alternating knees. I could feel as i was doing it that my left knee was bruised to hell. My right one wasn't that bad because i had my wrestling kneepad on that one. Like i said, i knew it was going to be bruised, but i didn't expect it to be this bad. That was last Wednesday, on thursday it was so sore it was insane. I skipped BJJ that night, and went on Friday. On friday when i was rolling, if someone touched my knee, even just a little bit it was unbelievable pain. I've been off since then and now the bruise has set in. It's blue and purple and everything, but what really concerns me is it feels like there's fluid in there.

So I have a few questions. 1: has anyone had any experience like this, and if so how do i knee the bag without this result. 2: Could it be anything worse then a severe bruise? (ex: ligament, tendant damage) 3: Any advice beyond icing the knee?

I had a similar problem a long time ago when I started MT. Took my knee a week or more to really get better. Anyhow, the technique i was using was what caused the damage. I was throwing knees at the bag with my knee landing coming upward, putting lots of pressure on the knee.

When your kneeing a bag the strike should feel more like a push (not a scrape), with the hips throwing the point of the knee forward. Vs feeling like your knee is scraping up the bag. Try getting the power from your hips not the lifting of your leg. Helped me!

good way to know your doing it correctly: if it feels like the hair on leg is getting ripped out by the bag (not good). Create space between your stomach and the bag (lean into the bag), lift the knee (toes down) and throw it forward pushing it into the bag with your hips.

first off when your doing a drill similar to that, 25 knees in a row its normally involved with some sort of cardio workout so you dont need to be throwing the knees that hard.

Most of the time when your working technique with knees your doing push knees, round knees etc

I had a similar problem a long time ago when I started MT. Took my knee a week or more to really get better. Anyhow, the technique i was using was what caused the damage. I was throwing knees at the bag with my knee landing coming upward, putting lots of pressure on the knee.

When your kneeing a bag the strike should feel more like a push (not a scrape), with the hips throwing the point of the knee forward. Vs feeling like your knee is scraping up the bag. Try getting the power from your hips not the lifting of your leg. Helped me!

good way to know your doing it correctly: if it feels like the hair on leg is getting ripped out by the bag (not good). Create space between your stomach and the bag (lean into the bag), lift the knee (toes down) and throw it forward pushing it into the bag with your hips.

that sounds exactly like what I'm doing, thanks man i'll try that

Elbows and knees "strikes", not "rubs".

gl

I scratched up and scarred my right knee on bags, it looked bruised but there wasn't much pain.

I was probably sliding up the bag rather than hitting it on a point. I think sulllivan's got it right.

Not a fan of kneeing the bag myself.
Rather work knees with the belly -pad.

Not a fan of kneeing the bag myself.
Rather work knees with the belly -pad.

lol me either. I mean the other day was the first time, but considering my knee is still blue, and filled with fluid i'm not a fan either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardscarf
Back