Quick question about choosing a new gym.

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ok so many of you know about the problems i was having last year getting to my gym in nyc, and money problems which really has become the main issue. So heres my options their is a gym in rockaway, nj that one of my friends has recomended to me, its a 45 min drive from where i live, the gym i am currently semi-training at, they actually treat me like family its like an actual fight team and the instructor over their is the only instructor willing to get me a fight, that fight was suppose to happen in oct of 2017 but because i owe my parents money i couldn't really get over to the gym i kept on going broke one way or another, so let me ask you guys this most of the gyms in new jersey want you to sign a year contract, would you guys do it? Even if you had priorties like moving out of your parents house, trying to pay for car insurance, and trying to save money to go to thailand? Theirs a gym in whippany that i use to train at when i came back to that gym they wanted me to sign another contract, in woodbridge where my old instructor teaches at the moment, he wanted me to sign a contract also, the gym in rockaway is a 45 min drive from.my house, i have no idea what the enviroment is like wether its a friendly enviroment or not but idk wether i want to go to that gym its much more expensive then my instructor in nyc rates, hes letting me pay $200 for unlimited sessions. And i really don't want to leave that team, because i feel like i won't get an instructor thats willing to get me a fight, or willing to do mma whenever i wanted too. Would you guys sign a contract like that?

Id suggest seeing if they have a free class trial. Basically every gym Iv called or dropped into will let you try one of the classes before they hassle you to sign anything. I can get a pretty decent feel if the instructor is good or just playing it up for me and if i enjoy the teaching style and group of guys im with. Iv signed one of the year contracts and it was the year i moved and my grandma passed away. After that I decided monthly would probably be my best option if given it (money and fights is a worry for me as well)

Id suggest seeing if they have a free class trial. Basically every gym Iv called or dropped into will let you try one of the classes before they hassle you to sign anything. I can get a pretty decent feel if the instructor is good or just playing it up for me and if i enjoy the teaching style and group of guys im with. Iv signed one of the year contracts and it was the year i moved and my grandma passed away. After that I decided monthly would probably be my best option if given it (money and fights is a worry for me as well)

I really just want an instructor thats like my current instructor, he was willing to do muay thai, boxing, mma, bjj. Like no other instructor was willing to do that with me, the gyms that i've looked at only one of them does not want you to sign a contract but its a 45 min drive, and idk if the instructor over their will be willing to get me a fight, plus i still got to get back into shape. I've been on a 5 month lay off really.

Last edited:
You can always ask if the gym has a fight team. If so its probably just a matter of them believing you're ready until they ask if you would like to compete. The thing is when you compete with a gym you have their banner on your back so its a reflection of them as well. I would say if competition is your goal maybe zero in on what you want to compete in and find a gym that does that, then just put time in. Talk to the coaches and let them know you want to compete also, a lot of people now a days do mma, boxing, or bjj just to stay in shape. Who knows they may even keep an eye on you because of that

You can always ask if the gym has a fight team. If so its probably just a matter of them believing you're ready until they ask if you would like to compete. The thing is when you compete with a gym you have their banner on your back so its a reflection of them as well. I would say if competition is your goal maybe zero in on what you want to compete in and find a gym that does that, then just put time in. Talk to the coaches and let them know you want to compete also, a lot of people now a days do mma, boxing, or bjj just to stay in shape. Who knows they may even keep an eye on you because of that

Sorry for the late response, i think i can keep with my instructor in nyc, its just that this gym instructor has me going to other gyms around the new york state, maybe i can find an instructor like that in new jersey idk.

Sorry for the late response, i think i can keep with my instructor in nyc, its just that this gym instructor has me going to other gyms around the new york state, maybe i can find an instructor like that in new jersey idk.

Just to clarify your current instructor has you going around to other gyms and you would like someone who does that in NJ?

Just to clarify your current instructor has you going around to other gyms and you would like someone who does that in NJ?
Yes so i wouldn't have to spend money on a train. Thats why i like training with him, he has the whole fight team going over to other gyms around the state.

Yes so i wouldn't have to spend money on a train. Thats why i like training with him, he has the whole fight team going over to other gyms around the state.

It sounds like its more of an HQ and the team goes and gathers info from other gyms to make the team as a whole stronger. How does it work though everyone goes to gym1 for bjj today then gym 2 for muaythai and gym 3 for wrestling or is everyone kind of scattered day to day

It sounds like its more of an HQ and the team goes and gathers info from other gyms to make the team as a whole stronger. How does it work though everyone goes to gym1 for bjj today then gym 2 for muaythai and gym 3 for wrestling or is everyone kind of scattered day to day

The main gym we spar at is a boxing gym in nyc that allows us to do everything grappling muay thai, boxing etc, the gym they go to every sat is a muay thai gym where we only spar muay thai style, the gym we go to every sun which i haven't been too, they spar mma style. The rest of the week is in the main gym which is a boxing gym that has different instructors doing kickboxing boxing muay thai and kung fu.

The main gym we spar at is a boxing gym in nyc that allows us to do everything grappling muay thai, boxing etc, the gym they go to every sat is a muay thai gym where we only spar muay thai style, the gym we go to every sun which i haven't been too, they spar mma style. The rest of the week is in the main gym which is a boxing gym that has different instructors doing kickboxing boxing muay thai and kung fu.

Damn man so you got a band of brothers traveling around training together? That sounds awesome. The only thing close you maybe able to find is a gym with muay thai and bjj maybe boxing that will ler you do multiple classes a week (2 bjj 1 muay thai for example) i think the situation you got going on now is one more specific to you than how most gyms run their program. Sounds to me like your instructor is a really good dude

Damn man so you got a band of brothers traveling around training together? That sounds awesome. The only thing close you maybe able to find is a gym with muay thai and bjj maybe boxing that will ler you do multiple classes a week (2 bjj 1 muay thai for example) i think the situation you got going on now is one more specific to you than how most gyms run their program. Sounds to me like your instructor is a really good dude

Yeah he didn't have the best record but he is a good teacher, i really want to stay at that team i really do, it feels like a good enviroment and feels like an actual team, i'm actually going to see what happens in the next 2 months if i can't make money and manage it then i will look into the gym in rockaway and hopefully i can talk to them about making their gym like that.

Yeah he didn't have the best record but he is a good teacher, i really want to stay at that team i really do, it feels like a good enviroment and feels like an actual team, i'm actually going to see what happens in the next 2 months if i can't make money and manage it then i will look into the gym in rockaway and hopefully i can talk to them about making their gym like that.

I find a lot of guys make better coaches than fighters my coach got bronze in the olympics but as a coach hes definitely gold level haha. The relationship with your coach and relationship with your team (especially if you plan on competition) is so important. No one will train at a gym they dont want to go to or feel they arent welcome in. Could you maybe mention this to him? Regarless if you end up going to a different gym if the relationship with him is strong i would talk about payment options if money is scarce. Iv trained at more than 3 gyms and the thing i try to keep is a relationship with my main coach. Good coaches will let you train other places because when you return the whole team will be stronger for it. See if you can train somewhere els for a little and then come back?

I find a lot of guys make better coaches than fighters my coach got bronze in the olympics but as a coach hes definitely gold level haha. The relationship with your coach and relationship with your team (especially if you plan on competition) is so important. No one will train at a gym they dont want to go to or feel they arent welcome in. Could you maybe mention this to him? Regarless if you end up going to a different gym if the relationship with him is strong i would talk about payment options if money is scarce. Iv trained at more than 3 gyms and the thing i try to keep is a relationship with my main coach. Good coaches will let you train other places because when you return the whole team will be stronger for it. See if you can train somewhere els for a little and then come back?

I worked out a set payment he wants me to just pay $200, i need a good source of income i was going to become a firefighter this year, but the civil service test isn't until next year and i'm debating wether to become a cop or a firefighter. I really need the firefighter job or the cop job or an armed security officer job to make that good income.

For the time being maybe just try to get a grocery store job or somthing relatively easy to get that will bring in income. Iv been hopping around factories since i finished highschool two years ago and it lets me train and get an income as well (still living at home so nothing to really spend on aside from memberships and dinner here and there) and at least Stipe shows us its possible to be a firefighter and a ufc champ haha but i think theres actually a thread open on jobs fighters have/had. I may try to get a fitness boxing instructor job. Dont have to worry about fighters or techniques too much just give em a good workout haha

It seems the problem is money at first so the solution should be to resolve that money problem. Then I hope you pay your parents with a monthly rate or whatever and then you can decide which gym to stay simply by the reason which is best for you.

If you have so much money problems. Training this often might be the wrong use of that time.
I`d rather invest that into looking for a job & working.

It seems the problem is money at first so the solution should be to resolve that money problem. Then I hope you pay your parents with a monthly rate or whatever and then you can decide which gym to stay simply by the reason which is best for you.

If you have so much money problems. Training this often might be the wrong use of that time.
I`d rather invest that into looking for a job & working.

I am working lol i work at the airport doing security, its just in new jersey the pay isn't as much as in new york and i want to get a security job in new york but i need a ny sora license, i'm already trying to put in a firearms license application so that i can become an armed security officer, but its taking a while to do it really.

Thank you all for your advice guys and not being like the last guy who thought i was a troll and didn't believe anything i was saying about becoming an armed security officer, a cop or a firefighter, and didn't believe i'm a fighter either that guy was literally a bitch who literally thought i was trolling on every thread i made and talked shit all the time.

Ok so many of you know about the problems i was having last year getting to my gym in nyc, and money problems which really has become the main issue. So heres my options their is a gym in rockaway, nj that one of my friends has recomended to me, its a 45 min drive from where i live, the gym i am currently semi-training at, they actually treat me like family its like an actual fight team and the instructor over their is the only instructor willing to get me a fight, that fight was suppose to happen in oct of 2017 but because i owe my parents money i couldn't really get over to the gym i kept on going broke one way or another, so let me ask you guys this most of the gyms in new jersey want you to sign a year contract, would you guys do it? Even if you had priorties like moving out of your parents house, trying to pay for car insurance, and trying to save money to go to thailand? Theirs a gym in whippany that i use to train at when i came back to that gym they wanted me to sign another contract, in woodbridge where my old instructor teaches at the moment, he wanted me to sign a contract also, the gym in rockaway is a 45 min drive from.my house, i have no idea what the enviroment is like wether its a friendly enviroment or not but idk wether i want to go to that gym its much more expensive then my instructor in nyc rates, hes letting me pay $200 for unlimited sessions. And i really don't want to leave that team, because i feel like i won't get an instructor thats willing to get me a fight, or willing to do mma whenever i wanted too. Would you guys sign a contract like that?
Sounds like to me you need to get to a gym with all the aspects in under one roof. when you start scattering out, it'll mess with your schedule and such and at least for me, I wouldn't want that. I would say get to a gym that has a coach that specializes in all aspects or has a boxing/ kickboxing coach, BJJ/ submission grappling coach, and you need a wrestling coach. Idk if they have anything like that where you are, but if they do, I would look into it if I were you. I'm against scattering out and going to a BJJ gym and training your BJJ, going to a wrestling academy and working wrestling, going to a boxing gym to work boxing, and so forth, if you want to do that, then more power to you, but you need to be learning all aspects in under one roof that does it all, not only that, but if you wanna be a fighter, then the gym should have a good stable of fighters/ or grapplers so you can get better at a quicker pace.

Just my opinion man, you do what you please, but I think it would be a lot cheaper going to a gym that does it all, rather than bouncing around to gyms, that's just gonna burn a hole in your pocketbook in the long run. I can almost guarantee that any MMA gym will require you to sign a contract. Some gyms that do it all in under one roof include

•American Kickboxing Academy
•AMC Kickboxing & Pankration
•JacksonWink
•American Top Team

just to name a few. I know these gyms are no where near your location, but I'm just throwing those in as examples. trust me man, you're better off doing it that way. it'll not only save time, but money as well.

Last edited:
If you like the gym's enviorment, and you don't mind the commute, go for it. Have you got to try a free class? Or at least got to watch one? Any good gym will usually let you do that. As for a year contract. . .I'd say see if you can, sign a month long one at first. Just in case once you start training there and it isn't what you envisioned, you won't be stuck paying for something you're not going to use.

I'm working 2 jobs now, so i don't thi k i'll have the time to train anymore i got something else in mind in the meantime. I've had a lot of time to think and i kinda figured out what to do but don't know if its right choice but i'm going to see what happens.

Back