QUINTET - Sakuraba's New Grappling League

results weren't surprising, but it was a really fun event.

That was most exciting grappling I have ever seen. I'll wait Quintet 2 with great interest.

The little bald Russian who went eight minutes with Craig jones is a badass. Legit skills.

Most, if not all, were pro grapplers.... Which ones weren't?

Well, I admit I don't follow grappling like mma. But I watch most EBI, Polaris, and Uncle Chael's shows....

I am pretty no one on Sambo or Judo team are pro...

Oh shit! I get what you mean... I should have said "pro BJJ" guys ("grappler" includes judo, sambo etc).

My (dumb) point was that pro BJJ guys are going to win a BJJ tournament. And that's exactly what happened.

Lineup for the second event is up.

Pretty big step down from the first event in terms of big names

looks like a lower weight limit too.

Edit: you may need to open on instagram to see all the fighters.

This is great, a throw back to the days of style vs style grappling match ups.

Lineup for the second event is up.

Pretty big step down from the first event in terms of big names

looks like a lower weight limit too.

Edit: you may need to open on instagram to see all the fighters.

They are calling this a fight night card. I don't know if the show was even on the schedule when they first announced the promotion.

Fuck. I'm sitting here with nothing to do, nothing to watch... I thought that shit wasn't for another week or two.

Thanks.

What did everyone think? The Arena looked pretty empty, I wonder if it's going to stay for much longer. Not sure the rule sets working with all the draws, though I like the team aspect loads. I was looking at getting a ticket if there was an event when I was in Japan but It costs about 60 AUD to attend. Sure that's a pretty big detractor if the events aren't all as amazing as the first. Seems once they figure out the rules they're going to game it hard, and it's a shame

I think the rule set is great. It creates drama and excitement in a product which, unfortunately, is not inherently exciting. Coupled with the short matches (8 minutes or 4 minutes) that generate real pace, and the clash of styles and size, it's brilliant to watch. Hopefully the rule set will be adopted elsewhere if Quintet doesn't survive.

Just finished watching the latest event. Rida definitely stole the show for me, knew pretty much nothing about him coming in and he just blew through the back half of the Tiger Muay Thai Team and quickly subbed Richie Martinez. Great debut for him.

Just finished watching... it was just as good as the first one. Haisam Rida is a fucking problem.... and Geo taking him out was awesome.

Plus Lenne Hardt. Its awesome. Can't wait for the next one (again.)

Just finished watching... it was just as good as the first one. Haisam Rida is a fucking problem.... and Geo taking him out was awesome.

Plus Lenne Hardt. Its awesome. Can't wait for the next one (again.)
Rida was awesome.
Saku's team was hilariously lopsided....4 crusty old Japanese vets just surviving and then a 24 year old African unknown heavyweight wrecking everyone.
<Eek2.0>
He is a brown belt and submitted 4 guys FAST including top black belt Richie Martinez and Stuart cooper.

That made it so amazing when Geo Martinez choked him. That's what jiu jitsu is about, that was literally his only way to beat Rida and he managed it. I really yelled out loud when he got the tap.

I like the ruleset. Unfortunately we saw the first match to go to a judges decision and 10p we're quite lucky to go throigh, but they won the final in style.

Looking forward to the next show! Would like to see more top Brazilians next time.

yeah, Haisam Rida stole the show. glad to hear them say on the commentary a few times that he's training with mah boy Okami.

Geo Martinez subbing him was amazing too.

yeah, Haisam Rida stole the show. glad to hear them say on the commentary a few times that he's training with mah boy Okami.

Geo Martinez subbing him was amazing too.
I read that as Hasim Rahman initally and did a double take lol

Back