Race to Bodyweight SOHP

I read about people using smolov jr for ohp. If anybody wants to give that a go I'd like to read how it went. 3 weeks of suckage for an indeterminate gain, surely not the 30 pounds they say you'd get on your squat or deadlift...but who knows.

I had really good luck with high reps after my chest routine and then working up to a heavy single or double on my ohp day. That got me up 60 pounds, though most of that was probably just learning to do it standing instead of seated.

I read about people using smolov jr for ohp. If anybody wants to give that a go I'd like to read how it went. 3 weeks of suckage for an indeterminate gain, surely not the 30 pounds they say you'd get on your squat or deadlift...but who knows.

I had really good luck with high reps after my chest routine and then working up to a heavy single or double on my ohp day. That got me up 60 pounds, though most of that was probably just learning to do it standing instead of seated.

i was thinking of doing this starting next week.

I'll give it a go. I'm already at my bw, and i say that only to qualify what my results may show.

Last edited:
I tried smolov jr for OHP, but only got to about mid second week before my shoulder flared up with tendonitis/rotator cuff etc...*I had long time injury though, so paradoxically (?) I get best gains with low frequency/low volume because I can keep my shoulder pain in check

Recent PR (yesterday)

155@~182lbs *70@82kg

I'm not in the comp, but saw this thread and wanted to share that I hit it :) 185 pounds, and I'm 180 at the moment. Should be low 170s but have had zero motivation to eat right since I got ringworm at a tournament and can't actually train at the gym.

[YT]MSNLZ1Q9-GU[/YT]

I'm not in the comp, but saw this thread and wanted to share that I hit it :) 185 pounds, and I'm 180 at the moment. Should be low 170s but have had zero motivation to eat right since I got ringworm at a tournament and can't actually train at the gym.

[YT]MSNLZ1Q9-GU[/YT]

I hate those infections. Had to toss my boxing gloves because my whole hand and wrist was covered after a 3 hour day at the gym. Nasty

Last edited:
Hit 205 at a bodyweight of 262 today. Way behind the rest of the field.

Get on my level Sherdog, bodyweight 170, SOHP PR is 185.

But seriously, good luck to all who enter. My advice is do some olympic overhead variations...if you're used to doing push press/push jerk/split jerk etc. with up to 140-150% of your SOHP max, you'll be super stable and comfortable under max load SOHPs and be better able to apply force correctly throughout the whole movement.

Do inverted ones count?

I'm gonna be without a gym for a while, but I'm wondering how close I can get to this with BW exercises.

Get on my level Sherdog, bodyweight 170, SOHP PR is 185.

But seriously, good luck to all who enter. My advice is do some olympic overhead variations...if you're used to doing push press/push jerk/split jerk etc. with up to 140-150% of your SOHP max, you'll be super stable and comfortable under max load SOHPs and be better able to apply force correctly throughout the whole movement.

I've recently started doing more push press and jerks. Definteyl feel like it helps.

I'm in a race to a 1.25x BW on another site so this is a great motivator!

Hey so I counted 9 on that board? Can I get in on this? It's a goal I'm shooting for now.

I've taken the limit out.
Whoever wants in is in.

Woohoo!

I'm pressing 205 right now at 235 lbs (and dropping)

I'm aiming to settle at a weight of about 225.

Not participating, but i loooove SOHP! Only exercize ive been good at from the start. 260 lbs press at 230 lbs BW

I did 170x3 again, maybe tomorrow I'll go for a big single but I'm still like 35lbs away from a bw ohp.

Does the S = standing or S = strict?

Standing, my best was 295lbs, but it was with leg drive (almost all my standing pressing movements involve some sort of hip pop)

Strict (but seated), I could do 315x2.

All of this was prior to my elbow surgery, but assuming they fixed the underlying issue, I should be able to get back to where I was pretty quickly.

All lifts were done at a body weight of 280lbs.

Glad this opened up.

SOHP: 170 lbs PR
Body weight: 190 lbs

Gonna be tough...

EDIT: Weighed myself today: 198 lbs. hmmm

Last edited:
Does the S = standing or S = strict?

Standing, my best was 295lbs, but it was with leg drive (almost all my standing pressing movements involve some sort of hip pop)

Strict (but seated), I could do 315x2.

All of this was prior to my elbow surgery, but assuming they fixed the underlying issue, I should be able to get back to where I was pretty quickly.

All lifts were done at a body weight of 280lbs.

So you could press more weight and more reps when strict and seated than with standing and with leg drive? That strikes me as somewhat odd.

So you could press more weight and more reps when strict and seated than with standing and with leg drive? That strikes me as somewhat odd.

For me, it is an issue of practice - I have gravitated away from oly lifts as I get older, and focus on more conventional powerlifting/bodybuilding style training.

My core stability and coordination has suffered as a result. At one point, I could snatch 225lbs, and now I would be lucky to do 135lbs.

My seated press also may not pass water as far being strict. I sit on the very edge of the bench, so it turns it into a really steep incline press.

For me, it is an issue of practice - I have gravitated away from oly lifts as I get older, and focus on more conventional powerlifting/bodybuilding style training.

My core stability and coordination has suffered as a result. At one point, I could snatch 225lbs, and now I would be lucky to do 135lbs.

My seated press also may not pass water as far being strict. I sit on the very edge of the bench, so it turns it into a really steep incline press.

Still pretty beastly press numbers. How much do you weigh??

Back