Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

Whipped out the Howa 22 for some offhand snap shooting drills at 50 yards

Was discussing this with ol what's his face - @Cubo de Sangre the other day.

I had this theory that if you bring the rifle up, and get it on a slow moving plane, could be up-down or side to side, but it on a relative straight line incoming to the target, you can break the shot into the target on the regular once you get comfortable with the perception of things.

Took me two outings but I went from like 20% hits the first time to 80-85% the second time. Its not blinding fast, but it ain't missing either. These are 3 inch discs and 6 inch tall bowling pin plates.

Its good trigger control practice.

Finally broke down, (after 20+ years) and bought a cheap gunbelt off Amazon.

I should've done this long ago, these things are great, I can finally use this new Safariland holster I bought 10 years ago, that was always too tight.

Pretty Bitchin, I can practice my draw now.

Finally broke down, (after 20+ years) and bought a cheap gunbelt off Amazon.

I should've done this long ago, these things are great, I can finally use this new Safariland holster I bought 10 years ago, that was always too tight.

Pretty Bitchin, I can practice my draw now.

So, not to give you buyer's remorse, I actually daily something like this:

https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts

I kinda like having a ratcheting belt.

The one you posted it prolly better.

I'm too cheap to fork over the loot for a primo rig.
Honestly, I've had a lot of cheap, shitty belts wear out only after a short period of time. So I decided I wanted to EDC a 1.5" gun belt because of its rigidity. It just so happens that this has a ratchet and I don't think I can go back to a pin and buckle.

For shooting, I’ve been using the same Blade Tech double layer belt for the past 8 years iirc. Just works much better than any other gun belt Ive tried. Outer layer is pretty rigid, so there’s no pull on the belt when you draw whatsoever.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F8KE2X8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_B69TPK0FWRMTAYMM0SCE
Blade_Tech_Inner_Outer_Belt.jpg

D55116FA-024E-4E9D-AD1C-621EBC39DD54.jpeg

Bought an X95 with an 18" barrel a few weeks ago. Finally had the chance to sight it in.
I was prepared for terrible groupings as thats what the interwebz has decreed. Might be a 16" gun problem because mine was holding 1.5in groups all day long with PMC bronze .223 55 gr. and only opened up beyond 2" with LC stamped green tip.
Pics will follow but needless to say, the X95 is as badly setup as the youtube dudes say it is.

Bought an X95 with an 18" barrel a few weeks ago. Finally had the chance to sight it in.
I was prepared for terrible groupings as thats what the interwebz has decreed. Might be a 16" gun problem because mine was holding 1.5in groups all day long with PMC bronze .223 55 gr. and only opened up beyond 2" with LC stamped green tip.
Pics will follow but needless to say, the X95 is as badly setup as the youtube dudes say it is.

Man, for the price it seems that the AUG is still the gold standard.

Man, for the price it seems that the AUG is still the gold standard.
Majority of my friends who are Afghanistan Veterans with the ADF, much preferred the M4 platform over the AUG platform. Perhaps it was just the novelty of using something different.

Majority of my friends who are Afghanistan Veterans with the ADF, much preferred the M4 platform over the AUG platform. Perhaps it was just the novelty of using something different.

Oh yeah, not saying that. Just saying as far as bullpups go, the AUG seems to be the gold standard still.

Oh yeah, not saying that. Just saying as far as bullpups go, the AUG seems to be the gold standard still.
I feel that's only because its weight is minimal.
The Famas has an awkward mag release and the SA80 used by English Forces is heavy. Personally I've always liked the SA80. But I think the Steyr gets the most love due to is popularity in video games i.e Counter Strike and Rainbow 6.
I've never been a huge fan of the Steyr but it's also the only bullpup rifle I've fired so my experience is limited.

If my AUG clone is properly representative then I'll take the Tavor. Never bothered shooting the FS2000. Should see what those are selling for these days.

its a little give and take. X95's have higher availability and lower cost. you can get an X95 for $1700 bucks which is the cost of a upper mid-tier AR versus the usual asking price of $2400 plus for an Aug.
The X95 have better ergos and much better default rail surface for attachments. The Aug is lighter and easier to clean and strip. X95 has a better trigger i think but the Aug has a tighter more comfortable profile

CC drills: Grapple range draw and shoot pistol retention drills, Turn/draw/fire, Hands up/draw/fire facing threat.
Movement drills: Figure 8s around two barrels with continuous movement and reload. Sprints between two cones with two targets at each cone and two to each target. Variation was reload during sprint between cones.

That's pretty cool. I am just getting into self defense / sporty stuff like that. Like, I've been hitting practical basics. I'll set up obstacles as they are in my home to shoot from cover. I hold something heavy in one hand like it is my kid, with a target at my feet, then try to run back while drawing from concealment and shooting the plate with my free hand (as if killing a dog). I'll do a little sprint to the side and draw / fire sometimes as well.

That's pretty cool. I am just getting into self defense / sporty stuff like that. Like, I've been hitting practical basics. I'll set up obstacles as they are in my home to shoot from cover. I hold something heavy in one hand like it is my kid, with a target at my feet, then try to run back while drawing from concealment and shooting the plate with my free hand (as if killing a dog). I'll do a little sprint to the side and draw / fire sometimes as well.
There is certainly a place for static on the line shooting but most real world situations will involve movement and probably a lot of it. Plus, its just fun to shake things up.

Back