Rank them: Hughes vs Usman vs Shields

Bouboumaster

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
GSP is pretty much the best WW of all time, but who's #2?

I personnally have:
1- GSP
2- Hughes
3- Usman
4- Shields

What's your order?

Usman is fucking awesome. I have him just behind GSP. He has hardly lost any rounds let alone any fights. I think He would out muscle and outhustle Hughes. Shields...man I just don't know how to rank the guy. Not with these guys IMO but I could be wrong.

The exact order that you listed them. Hughes and Usman are far superior to Shields as are a handful of other guys.

I still have Hughes above Usman on the GOAT list, he has more defenses and actually has a win over the GOAT on his resume. Usman is above Shields though

All are good wrestlers but Hughes couldn't strike at all and Shields is terrible at it as well
So Usman above them.

Woodley, Shields, and Maia all have better WW wins than Hughes.

Gets kinda thin for Matt after GSP 1---in like gsp's 7 th fight.

If ya need ta ask...

Yvx6u0C.gif

Even GSP admitted current quality of MMA competition is far greater today than the Way Way Back...

south-park-long-long-ago.gif

Why is Shields even in the WW GoAT conversation? He's never even held WW gold in any large organizations...
Won the vacant Strikeforce title at Middleweight.
Jon Fitch arguably has a better WW resume than Shields.

1 GSP
2 Hughes
3 Usman
4 Lawler
5 Woodley/Sheilds

GOAT conversations are always difficult because of how you define it. Longevity, strength of opposition and overall performances can get lost when people just look at Wikipedia for their answer

1. GSP - Most UFC title defenses in WW history. Fought in the UFC WW "golden era." Holds wins over former WW champions. Retired at the top.
2. Hughes - 2nd most UFC title defenses. Holds wins over former WW Champions.
3. Usman - 4 UFC title defenses. Undefeated in the UFC. Holds a win over a former WW champion.
4. Woodley - 4 UFC title defenses. Holds a win over a former WW champion.
5. Lawler - 2 UFC title defenses. Holds a win over a former WW champion.

6. Conor McGregor - Highest-grossing fight in UFC history in both the organization and at WW. Has more of a right to be on this list than Jake Shields.

Why is Shields even in the WW GoAT conversation? He's never even held WW gold in any large organizations...
Won the vacant Strikeforce title at Middleweight.
Jon Fitch arguably has a better WW resume than Shields.
That’s a very legitimate point , I put shields above Fitch based of off overall accomplishments but Fitch was also very dominant the majority of his career, I think he gets overlooked because of his style and the fact most people only remember the vicious losses he took ( GSP/Hendricks)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kechan123
Back