Rank these lightweights legacies

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
I just watched Benson vs Pettis 3 in karate combat, and although it wasn’t terrible… it wasn’t very good. So it got me thinking about lightweight and how deep it is. Although some of these guys legacies aren’t completed yet and still seemingly in their prime, I’d like for you to rank them in order on who you think had the better career.

1. Pettis
2. Benson
3. RDA
4. Giblert Melendez
5. Eddie Alvarez
6. Chandler
7. Poirier
8. Gaethje
9. Mcgregor
10. Tony

This isn’t my list, just an example of ranking guys 1-10.
I know some of these guys were different eras, so it’s hard to compare.

I really do think if you take these guys in their prime, any one of these guys could have beaten each other on any given day for the most part.

Some of these guys had shorter primes but reached higher peaks, while others have been tried and true yet never fully became UFC champion.

I think I’d put nearly all of them in the UFC hall of fame, except Melendez who didn’t accomplish a lot in the UFC imo. And Chandler but he has the be top 3 most exciting fighter to ever compete in the UFC, so he deserves a spot

Edit: For those who can’t read, I purposely left out guys like bj, Khabib, Islam, oliveira, and Frankie. I consider them a tier higher than in legacy, except maybe Frankie but the dude was a damn bantamweight the whole time. Plus bjs second half of his career was a real mess lol

Last edited:
Conor on the list is a fuckin joke and takes all credibility away from you OP. Was that your goal? Conor with only 1 win at LW, is ranked 9th?

biden-sniff.gif

What I like about this thread is that it implicitly acknowledge that Beeb, BJ, and Frankie are the GOATs. This here is all the B tier LWs.

and chandler tbh
Yeah. I think their careers did benefit a bit from not being in the UFC.

Problem with Pettis/Bendo/RDA is nobody really secured that #1 spot. The belt was being passed around like a hot potato.

And then Justin/Dustin/Tony never even got to the #1 spot

Alvarez won gold in UFC and was a top 5 guy for years winning multiple world titles.. he's clear cut #1. Melendez and Chandler 2 and 3. Then you can really put Bendo/Pettis/RDA in any order.

Conor probably lower than the other guys who didn't win titles, just because his career was at FW not LW.

Conor on the list is a fuckin joke and takes all credibility away from you OP. Was that your goal? Conor with only 1 win at LW, is ranked 9th?

biden-sniff.gif
Just shows his impact

His losses are more influential than most fighter’s wins

I just watched Benson vs Pettis 3 in karate combat, and although it wasn’t terrible… it wasn’t very good. So it got me thinking about lightweight and how deep it is. Although some of these guys legacies aren’t completed yet and still seemingly in their prime, I’d like for you to rank them in order on who you think had the better career.

1. Pettis
2. Benson
3. RDA
4. Giblert Melendez
5. Eddie Alvarez
6. Chandler
7. Poirier
8. Gaethje
9. Mcgregor
10. Tony

This isn’t my list, just an example of ranking guys 1-10.
I know some of these guys were different eras, so it’s hard to compare.

I really do think if you take these guys in their prime, any one of these guys could have beaten each other on any given day for the most part.

Some of these guys had shorter primes but reached higher peaks, while others have been tried and true yet never fully became UFC champion.

I think I’d put nearly all of them in the UFC hall of fame, except Melendez who didn’t accomplish a lot in the UFC imo. And Chandler but he has the be top 3 most exciting fighter to ever compete in the UFC, so he deserves a spot

In term of most solid career at LW only, and only in term of that :

1. Khabib
2. BJ Penn
3. Pettis
4. Benson
5. Frankie Edgar
6. Makhachev
7. Oliveira
8. RDA
9. Poirier
10. Alvarez

Honorable mention: Gomi Pride career

I'm not ranking McGregor because he has a total of 1 win at LW in the UFC, I don't think it's enough even if it was a title

Edit: sorry I didn't understand shit. @biscuitsbrah asked to tank the 10 fighters he listed. For my defense I'm crazy tired right now lol

Last edited:

1. Khabib
2. BJ Penn
3. Pettis
4. Benson
5. Frankie Edgar
6. Makhachev
7. Oliveira
8. RDA
9. Poirier
10. Alvarez

I'm not ranking McGregor because he has a total of 1 win at LW in the UFC, I don't think it's enough even if it was a title
Solid list.

We may differ slightly on the order of a couple, idk maybe not i need to think about it, but very solid list imo.

1. Khabib
2. BJ Penn
3. Pettis
4. Benson
5. Frankie Edgar
6. Makhachev
7. Oliveira
8. RDA
9. Poirier
10. Alvarez

Very realistic list.

Back