Ranking the Top 10 WMMA GOATs

Everyone knows the famous example of Dennis Hallman having Matt Hughes’ number. So to me, looking at how fighters compete against a common opponent is a very insignificant piece. I’m concerned with how they fared throughout the whole division. Otherwise, shouldn’t we look at how Nunes got TKOed by Davis or Zingano, yet Ronda destroyed them in seconds?
I mean, Megumi Fuji lost to Jessica Aguilar twice, but Cortney Casey handled Aguilar just fine. So shouldn’t I rank Cortney Casey higher than wherever you think Fuji should be? ;)
- Re: Val and Ronda, they’re very close to one another. Ronda has seven title defenses, dude. Seven. 2 of the people she defended against have stoppage wins over Amanda. Kaufman is a former champ with wins over Davis x 2, Letourneau, Miesha, Roxy, Carmouche... Both Val and Ronda have some very good wins, and some which are kind of meh (Jessica Eye for Val, Bethe for Ronda). Ronda deserves to be ranked right where she’s at, but Val is closing in fast.
-Re: Fuji, I’m not talking about “American belts.” I specifically took into account any championship won in any org. Fuji just doesn’t really have those accolades.

In fact, I have yet to see anyone lay out a specific criteria by which Fuji would be ranked that high. One person said she “has more wins than these other fighters have fights”—but if that’s all that mattered, we’d all be ranking Travis Fulton above Stipe and Fedor, wouldn’t we? If Fuji should be #1 because she’s got 26 wins, should Marloes be #2 because she has 23 wins? I don’t see anyone in this thread screaming for that lol.

That Hughes vs Hallman analogy is terrible, mate.
Im honestly too lazy to discuss the rest - not a terrible list overall - but I know for sure Valentina is #2 for cleaning out 125, and 135lbs except for Nunes; two close fights with p4p GOAT despite undersized; arguably most complete woman fighter we've seen.

That Hughes vs Hallman analogy is terrible, mate.
Im honestly too lazy to discuss the rest - not a terrible list overall - but I know for sure Valentina is #2 for cleaning out 125, and 135lbs except for Nunes; two close fights with p4p GOAT despite undersized; arguably most complete woman fighter we've seen.
The Hallman analogy was a bit excessive, but my point is valid. For example: I think Rose is a better SW than Joanna. She fought Joanna twice, in prime, and beat her twice. But if I make a GOAT list, I can’t judge Joanna based only on those fights. Maybe Rose just has her number. It’s how Joanna did overall, who she beat, and how many times she defended her title, that cause her to be ranked above Rose.

I do appreciate you dropping in to check out my thread though, and give feedback, even if we don’t totally agree :)

The Hallman analogy was a bit excessive, but my point is valid. For example: I think Rose is a better SW than Joanna. She fought Joanna twice, in prime, and beat her twice. But if I make a GOAT list, I can’t judge Joanna based only on those fights. Maybe Rose just has her number. It’s how Joanna did overall, who she beat, and how many times she defended her title, that cause her to be ranked above Rose.

I do appreciate you dropping in to check out my thread though, and give feedback, even if we don’t totally agree :)

Its a ridiculous analogy because Hallman is not a champion from the weightclass below and Hughes is no p4p GOAT.

Its a ridiculous analogy because Hallman is not a champion from the weightclass below and Hughes is no p4p GOAT.
Yes, I do understand that. But I’ve also given multiple other examples of why looking at comment opponents isn’t a reliable metric. But I do give Val credit for her wins at BW, and great performances against Nunes. But while Val’s performance against Nunes was wayyy better than Ronda’s, Ronda’s performance against Kaufman was wayyy better than Val’s. Ronda’s performance against Carmouche was better than Val’s. Ronda isn’t even a true FW, yet her performance against Budd was way better than Cyborg’s. We could play that game with fighters all day, you know?

Lol at Rosa Namajuana above Cyborg and the woman that decapitated Ronda.
Cyborg is a multi-time confirmed cheat,weight bully, and her resume is built on scrubs. First time she faces a legit opponent in years, it's a bantamweight who knocks her out in less than a minute.Lot's of fighters out there in places like Brazil and Russia with crazy records, yet nobody credits them like they do Cyborg. Why? lack of competition, just like Cyborg.

Cyborg has only fought six women who have not fought lighter than 145. She has fought six women who have actually fought at 125. Of Cyborg's six "true featherweights" three have zero wins.
I think Budd raised that number to seven. Still shitty.

As said before, gotta think Meg goes up there. Her only losses carried quite a bit of controversy and her giant undefeated streak would have been even bigger.

Really you would put Rose over JJ? Huge Rose fan here buy I feel she still needs at least one more title defense
Despite Silva's dominant reign while Sonnen was getting dumped and tapped by Maia, there's an alternate universe out there where Silva didn't get the triangle and Sherdoggers everywhere were going, "What? How is Silva GOAT over Sonnen?! Sonnen beat him! Hurdur!"

I agree with the list for the most part but would make the order different.

Gina would definitely be on that list had she not met up with a Cyborg that got busted for PEDs at some point afterward. That match was a huge financial mistake since Gina was gaining fans fast. She was more exciting to watch than a lot of the male strikers.

Rose has the most potential to go up in the list.

I agree with the list for the most part but would make the order different.

Gina would definitely be on that list had she not met up with a Cyborg that got busted for PEDs at some point afterward. That match was a huge financial mistake since Gina was gaining fans fast. She was more exciting to watch that a lot of the male strikers.
I enjoyed Gina’s fights, but her resume is not good at all. I can’t justify her in the Top 15, honestly.

Julia Budd lol

also Holm doesn't really belong IMO, she lost to every 'A list' (or even just 'B+ list') fighter she fought (except Rousey... and no, that's not enough, famous a win as it was).

I agree about Holm. She has an impressive boxing record but is just an average MMA fighter.

I enjoyed Gina’s fights, but her resume is not good at all. I can’t justify her in the Top 15, honestly.
Putting Holm on the list ahead of her is ridiculous. Holm is very average on MMA in both skill and results. Gina destroyed every fighter she fought and was ranked #2 in the world in 2008. Only Marloes Coenen was ranked higher.

Putting Holm on the list ahead of her is ridiculous. Holm is very average on MMA in both skill and results. Gina destroyed every fighter she fought and was ranked #2 in the world in 2008. Only Marloes Coenen was ranked higher.
Dude, her resume consists of Leticia Pestova, Sexton, Elaina Maxwell, Kedzie, Tonya Evinger, Kaitlin Young and somebody named Kelly Kobold. Those wins and a loss to Cyborg is her entire career. It’s terrible.
Holm isn’t amazing, but she has the win over Ronda as well as Pennington x 2, Renau, Bethe, Megan, Aldana... Those are Holly’s good wins and she has more of them than Gina had fights.
Gina isn’t even Top 15 in my book.

Back