Ranking the World's National Soccer Leagues from Best to Worst

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Follow this link to see the 2017 IFFHS full list (it's in a table):
https://iffhs.de/the-strongest-national-league-of-the-world-spains-primera-division-again/
LA LIGA in Spain is again the Strongest National League in the World in 2017. Since 2010, the Spanish Liga has dominated the ranking established by the IFFHS.

In 1991, the IFFHS created this ranking, considering that the performance level of a league depended on the results from the best teams of each country (only the five best teams are considered ) in national and international competitions. A point system is so applied for each league and is recognized as an objective indicator of the league level.

Since the beginning of this ranking in 1991, Spain (Primera Division – La Liga) has won 12 times, Italy (Serie A) 10 times, England (Premier League) 4 times and Germany (Bundesliga) 1 time.

In 2017, LA LIGA won narrowly ahead of the PREMIER LEAGUE of England, which took again the second place after 4 difficult years.

At the World’s third place, the SERIE A of Brazil (place 7 in 2016) is the best league in South America before the PRIMERA A of Colombia and the PRIMERA DIVISION of Argentina.

The SERIE A of Italy (place 8 in 2016) made good progress to take the 4th place ahead of the LIGUE 1 of France, which lost two places. The BUNDESLIGA of Germany dropped to 8th in the World, its worst ranking since 1991.

The DIVISION PROFESIONAL of Paraguay (17 in 2016) recovered the 9th place after 5 years and the PREMIER LEAGUE of Russia jumped 10 places from last year to join the Top 10.

In CONCACAF, la LIGA MX of Mexico was again the best of the Continent (in the World Top 20 since 2000). The MLS of USA regained the second place in the continent after 5 years lapse before Costa Rica, second last year.

In Asia (AFC), the K LEAGUE CLASSIC of Korea Republic leads the ranking of the continent for the 7th year, just before the PRO LEAGUE of Saudi Arabia, second since 2013 and the J1 LEAGUE of Japan, which won 9 places in the ranking (N°40 in 2016).

In Africa (CAF), the LIGUE 1 of Tunisia held his leadership since 2013 ahead of the PREMIER LEAGUE of Egypt, second for the last five years and the PREMIER LEAGUE of Soudan, which has its best ranking in the past five years.

In Oceania (OFC), the LIGUE 1 of Tahiti (111 in the World Ranking) has for the first time become the best of the Continent followed by the PREMIERSHIP of New Zealand (118) and the SUPER LIGUE of New Caledonia (126).

TOP 20 : UEFA 14, CONMEBOL 5 and CONCACAF 1

TOP 50 : UEFA 32, CONMEBOL 7, AFC 5, CAF 5, CONCACAF 1

UEFA TOP 3 : SPAIN – ENGLAND – ITALY

CONMEBOL TOP 3 : BRAZIL – COLOMBIA – ARGENTINA

CAF TOP 3 : TUNISIA – EGYPT – SOUDAN

AFC TOP 3 : KOREA REPUBLIC – SAUDI ARABIA – JAPAN

CONCACAF TOP 3 : MEXICO – USA – COSTA RICA

OCEANIA TOP 3 : TAHITI – NEW ZEALAND – NEW CALEDONIA
The MLS is ranked at #52? Really? I know we aren't Tier 1, but that's hard to believe.

This is back from 2013, but it's a ranking from some think tank analyst firm called "Sporting Intelligence". The MLS made #7 on this list:

In fact, math nerd Nate Silver maintains a list of the top clubs (not leagues) in the world using his purely mathematical driven approach to these questions, and 23 of the MLS's teams make it on his list of 460 total clubs across the world (the highest, ironically, being the Canadian club Toronto FC appearing at #212):
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/global-club-soccer-rankings/
Come on. That's nearly the entire league, and this is just 460 teams. MLS teams compose 5%, or 1/12th, of the list.

Meanwhile, not that players are restricted to leagues of their national origin, but even using the purely mathematical ELO rankings of national teams in the world, right now, the USA is ranked at #29:
http://www.eloratings.net/
That's way down from our peak around #11 or so, IIRC, we might have broken into the top ten at one point in this ranking, but I'm not sure. I know we've gotten as high as #6 on the FIFA list, but that's bullshit.

In any case, even with male American soccer in such a state of disrepair, our national team itself is nowhere near #52, and despite the relative lack of interest in the sport in the USA, we are so wealthy that I find it impossible to believe we aren't in the Top 20 best-funded/highest-paying leagues in the world. That's what attracts talent.

What do you soccer nerds think? Is there a worse placement of a league on this list? What stands out to you?

Last edited:
Also, The Netherlands all the way down at #22?

Really? Is that accurate? That seems way, way too low for them.

Yes the dutch league is not what it was. When was the last time you saw a dutch team doing something in the Champions League?

The most talented dutch players usually go to England and play there.

The US at 7 is ridiculous though.
In Europe alone Spain,England,Germany,Italy,France,Portugal,Belgium,Russia & Turkey have higher quality players in the league.

Yes the dutch league is not what it was. When was the last time you saw a dutch team doing something in the Champions League?
I'm a casual observer of the sport, so I don't know the answer to this question without Googling.
They are top heavy with two teams.
Aha. Was Holland at one time the P4P strongest league in the World or Europe? Like in the 1970's?
The most talented dutch players usually go to England and play there.

The US at 7 is ridiculous though.
In Europe alone Spain,England,Germany,Italy,France,Portugal,Belgium,Russia & Turkey have higher quality players in the league.
Yeah, but so is #52, the math is clear as day on that.

Realistically, where should the USA be?

i watched a cople of mls games over last couple of years, its definetly getting better from what ive seen, even the stadiums were packed. defensed still sucked pretty hard, but i saw maybe 6-7 games...

i guess somewhere around 15 would be accurate for the mls, for the usmnt currently id say 30-40...

Premier, la Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Russian Premier, Eredivisie, Primeira, Jupiler Pro, Turkey, Greece, Argentina, Brasil
All these are probably better than the MLS so about 15th or so.

Premier, la Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Russian Premier, Eredivisie, Primeira, Jupiler Pro, Turkey, Greece, Argentina, Brasil
All these are probably better than the MLS so about 15th or so.
Is the MLS more competitive than the Mexican Primera "La Liga X"?

MLS blows. Bunch of cans play there. Mexican league is definitely way better.

Follow this link to see the 2017 IFFHS full list (it's in a table):
https://iffhs.de/the-strongest-national-league-of-the-world-spains-primera-division-again/

The MLS is ranked at #52? Really? I know we aren't Tier 1, but that's hard to believe.

This is back from 2013, but it's a ranking from some think tank analyst firm called "Sporting Intelligence". The MLS made #7 on this list:

In fact, math nerd Nate Silver maintains a list of the top clubs (not leagues) in the world using his purely mathematical driven approach to these questions, and 23 of the MLS's teams make it on his list of 460 total clubs across the world (the highest, ironically, being the Canadian club Toronto FC appearing at #212):
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/global-club-soccer-rankings/
Come on. That's nearly the entire league, and this is just 460 teams. MLS teams compose 5%, or 1/12th, of the list.

Meanwhile, not that players are restricted to leagues of their national origin, but even using the purely mathematical ELO rankings of national teams in the world, right now, the USA is ranked at #29:
http://www.eloratings.net/
That's way down from our peak around #11 or so, IIRC, we might have broken into the top ten at one point in this ranking, but I'm not sure. I know we've gotten as high as #6 on the FIFA list, but that's bullshit.

In any case, even with male American soccer in such a state of disrepair, our national team itself is nowhere near #52, and despite the relative lack of interest in the sport in the USA, we are so wealthy that I find it impossible to believe we aren't in the Top 20 best-funded/highest-paying leagues in the world. That's what attracts talent.

What do you soccer nerds think? Is there a worse placement of a league on this list? What stands out to you?

That second list is ridiculous. MLS ahead of Argentinian, French and Portuguese leagues? What a joke.

EPL has best parity I believe. Spain La Liga only has two awesome teams or more like Cristiano, and Messi playing in it.

The mid pack teams in the EPL will probably mop the floor with La Liga's middle of the pack

EPL has best parity I believe. Spain La Liga only has two awesome teams or more like Cristiano, and Messi playing in it.

The mid pack teams in the EPL will probably mop the floor with La Liga's middle of the pack
I don't know. Look at Sevilla-ManU...Sevilla is only 6th in La Liga, 30pts behind Barca and still it was enough against ManU second in the PL.

Don't forget that MLS is only been around for 25 years where all the other big leagues and Clubs have 100 or more.
Soccer being an sport with talents from all around the world you simply can't go to the top in 20 years...specially with the salary cap system.

Last edited:
That second list is ridiculous. MLS ahead of Argentinian, French and Portuguese leagues? What a joke.
<{hughesimpress}> its like MMA ratings from a few years back, you know who the real top 3 are, then you just put down anyone, in the order of who came to mind first.

MLS #7 <36>.........almost a funny as when they claimed their centre half from the mid to late 90's Thomas Dooley was in the top 5 defenders in the world<Dany07>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back