Raquel Pennington breaks silence on Sean Strickland’s comments at UFC 297

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the presser where Dana said something along the lines of (parahprasing) "We had 2 gay women up here and they couldn't care less about what Strickland said" - I wondered if that was Dana's interpretation based on them saying "it's not a big deal" or if he they had agreed that Dana would say that on their behalf.

I mean - that's a big difference.

My boss once asked me if I thought the coffee at the office was acceptable and I said "it's not that bad I guess" but I wouldn't want him during the next company meeting to name me as an example that there's no need to buy better coffee.

(That being said - I don't know the inside story - maybe Dana DID ask the gay women if he could comment something on their behalf)

Last edited:
Oh wow! It's a Sherdog special deal! Misogyny, homophobia AND excusing everything derogatory and insulting because someone isn't exciting or great as a fighter? A 3-for-1 bargain!

Because they are both biologically female and making biological offspring that is a blend of their genetic material would be prohibitively expensive.

Now , I said I wouldn't get into this because debating fundamental human rights on a karate forum is not super cool and fun.

That said, there are two major points that I think you need to understand going forward.

1) The word 'natural' literally just mean something that occurs in nature. 'Unnatural' just means something that does not occur in nature (i.e. man-made or supernatural).

Gay relationships, gay sex, and gay couples adopting and raising their partners children is absolutely natural. Not only is it commonly found in humans, but also in thousands of other species in nature.

2) Raquel Pennington and Tecia Torres are the parents of a small child. They are a loving couple in a committed romantic relationship, legally married. Both professional fighters, both successful.

They decided to have a child. Tecia got pregnant using someone's sperm. Maybe a friend of theirs. Maybe a rando. Maybe they shopped through potential donors and splurged for the 6'4 Doctor/Pro Athlete sperm to create the ultimate athlete. Doesn't matter, and not anyone's business, really.

That child exists because of Tecia Torres and Raquel Pennington as a unit. It will grow up with two loving parents and a solid support network. Their child is statistically way better off that the overwhelming majority of children born.

A tragedy? Give me a fucking break and get off your high horse.

I've had just about enough of this. Don't want to be getting carded for saying what I really think. So, once again, good day sir.
That's quite a long-winded way of NOT answering the question lol. Imagine writing a myriad of paragraphs instead of answering simple question with a simple sentence of an answer.

"Because nature dictates otherwise."

So you can sling all the homophobic/racist/sexist/nazi arrows that you want to but they'll never penetrate the armor of truth.

That's quite a long-winded way of NOT answering the question lol. Imagine writing a myriad of paragraphs instead of answering simple question with a simple sentence of an answer.

"Because nature dictates otherwise."

So you can sling all the homophobic/racist/sexist/nazi arrows that you want to but they'll never penetrate the armor of truth.
0f90b6d5-cf00-4f2f-a0e9-06d58c9872d7_text-gif.160382

While Strickland had no qualms voicing his thoughts in public, Pennington claims he deliberately avoided personal interaction with her.
I think this piece of text is missing some context

“Every time he came around, we both turned the other direction. I stared at him a couple times, and he would just turn the other direction. He’s out there, he’s a great athlete, he’s selling his fights, running his mouth, he’s being — freedom of speech, doing whatever — but no, he didn’t say anything. Interesting character.”

If she also turned the other direction when he came around - it's possible he started assuming she wanted him to keep walking

I don't doubt that he deliberately avoided her. Awfully cowardly for someone whose profession is literally fighting. I wonder if he knows he's a piece of shit for making those comments and thus doesn't have the stones to look her in the eyes after attacking her humanity.

Dish it out but not take it seems to be his thing though.

Nice try. No one said he owes her "his personal attention", not avoiding her isn't "owing her attention", that's bullshit.

If he stands by his comments he wouldn't avoid her like a broke dick dog with his tail between his legs. That's chickenshit.
I'm sure he was scared shitless, lol.

At the presser where Dana said something along the lines of (parahprasing) "We had 2 gay women up here and they couldn't care less about what Strickland said" - I wondered if that was Dana's interpretation based on them saying "it's not a big deal" or if he they had agreed that Dana would say that on their behalf.

I mean - that's a big difference.

My boss once asked me if I thought the coffee at the office was acceptable and I said "it's not that bad I guess" but I wouldn't want him during the next company meeting to name me as an example that there's no need to buy better coffee.

(That being said - I don't know the inside story - maybe Dana DID ask the gay women if he could comment something on their behalf)
its probably Dana's own interpretation. he's known for speaking out of turn and putting words in peoples' mouths.
that being said i am pleased he is not taking any disciplinary action against Strickland. Pennington's response is plenty classy and a good rebuttal. thats how these things should be resolved; using words and reason.

She's right, cancer is a thing that grows. Also, THREE "at the end of the day"s in that one short quote.
at the end of the day, its the end of the day.

Well...if Sean didn't talk mad stupid shit. Pennington fight wouldn't had that many eyes on it. In a weird way, Sean unintentionally promoted her fight as well.

Its not the way I would've gone about it, I personally could careless if you are gay or not in the cage. My thing is, where you entertaining in the fight? Neither fight was entertaining.

How? I don't like kids and will never have one. Not seeing a problem here.
the childfree movement is cringe as fuck - i shouldve specified.
i have no problem with anyone who does not want to have kids but making that part of your personality is and will forever be cringe. being proud of ignoring your biological imperative is pretty pathetic. especially when there are so many kids out there who need good parents via adoption or foster care.

i view it as a symptom of our solipsistic and narcissistic popular culture.

Was there something specific that happened to DW that made him change his views on professionalism? He used to have some standards. Like I get it, MMA is not the most refined crowd. I trained for over a decade and trust me, there were definitely some problematic viewpoints. Everyone is different. But this stuff from Strickland was gross, and none of it was articulated well enough to bother defending. Anik was right, this ish only works on the lowest common denominator. Is that something you want as a billion dollar company? It's wild that Pennington, who is universally shat on, still being professional about the whole thing.

<Varys01>

The only way to speak on this with authority is if you've tried it yourself to know. Just sayin.
You have to keep in mind that he tends to use words without understanding what they mean. It makes having a serious conversation impossible.

So far we have "natural", "tragic", and "myriad".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back