Media Raquel Pennington not down with Kayla Harrison getting title shot with only one win, looking to return in September

Julianna Peña, will smoke her ( and im not a fan ) that is If she ever stays healthy kayla might be easier fight we wont know til holly fight

Nah, there's a decade old beef between Raquel and Juliana. They need to settle it first (with a belt on the line, no less) before Kayla gets fast tracked. Kayla can beat the shit out of No Bueno Silva or Ketlin Viera in the meantime if she beats Holly. Would be crazy if Holly headkicked Kayla unconscious like she did Ronda.
MBS and Kayla both train at American Top Team and have trained together a lot so I think it's very unlikely they would fight each other.

Its OK for a champion to feel this way. They probably had to work really hard and beat alot of guys to get that belt, and are accustomed to defending against challengers who had to do the same.

Rocky is not accustomed to defending Bro. She has literally never done it.

Imagine a journeyman fighter, who did get the title due to a huge gap in talent in the division at the current time, thinking she can turn down a fight against a deserving challenger who has dominated a higher division other than 1 hard fought decision loss.

This seriously is like if Matt Serra said that Matt Hughes didn't deserve a title shot after Serra won the WW title.

Rocky is not accustomed to defending Bro. She has literally never done it.
It dont matter. Thats still the way its supposed to go. The UFC want Kayla to be the champ,not her. She can voice her opinion.

Paper mache champ already ducking a girl who hasn't even made her UFC debut

Yay wmma.... woo fuckin hoo

Oh cool, another "champion" who wants to pick their fights.

There is a part of me that could agree with her in saying that certain people don't deserve the shot, but then again, I feel the women's division is boring and complete trash.

I feel like she's ducking the harder fight so she has a better chance at staying champ for just a bit longer.

"Listen here Ricky, don't be a fuckin goof okay. Or you're fighting on FNs and not cashing in on any ppv points. If Kayla beats Holly, something you couldn't do, she's next."

What's the point of becoming champion if you cant have some leverage?
What's the point of watching championship fights when they aren't even fighting the best?

When you're at the top of the division, you should be confident enough to take on anyone. It's the reason you're champ. Everyone is now gunning for you.

As a viewer, I always want to see the champions take on the hardest challenge for them. If you can't defend against your biggest challenge, can you really call yourself the champ?

Pennington wants Pena, knowing she's got a better chance to win. It's a more winnable fight.

If we get to the point of champs calling out the easiest fights on paper, we're eventually going to have them calling out fighters in the top 5-10, or even the top 10 - 15.

Rankings won't matter, and will just go away. Champs will be calling out the loudest person who poses the least risk. Fights will become one-sided and boring.

Yes, it's a benefit to stay champ for longer. I understand why they do it. I just don't respect it.

Do you not prefer fights that are close fights? Fights that are back and forth. Neck and neck? Would you prefer one-sided beatdowns if a champ gets their pick and fights against someone who isn't on their level? Don't you want to see two unstoppable forces colliding?

Honestly, I don't really care about the whole status of "champion" anymore. Not as much as I care about watching good fights. I've watched tons of fights that weren't for the belt, which I enjoyed so much more than the champ defending the belt. So many co-main events that were better than the main event. Co-main events worthy of being the actual main event.

At this point, watching top 5 challengers fight each other is better than watching diva champs pick their easiest matchups thanks to the "leverage" they have.

It dont matter. Thats still the way its supposed to go. The UFC want Kayla to be the champ,not her. She can voice her opinion.

Agreed !

In fact I think Rocky was simply answering a pointed question from the press. No shade on her for that.

On the other hand... I think if Harrison can dispatch Holly, who's best attribute these days is her clinch game; that will set her among the elite in the weight class... Whether it's right to a title shot from there or one or two more fights? Doesn't matter as long as the matchups are fun.

Sorry Raquel, but when high profile former champs are signed, they're almost immediately in the title picture. Plus, you're boring.

Nothing contentious there. Pena IS number one. She was supposed to do the trilogy with Amanda. But broke her ribs (Praise Jebus). So we got Amanda/Aldana instead.

And one win over 42 year old Holly, should not mean you get a TS. Though MBS got one for beating Holly.. Even though MBS popped for peds, and was suspended by USADA, and/or the NSAC.

And I’m still not sure if she can make weight. Or how it may adversely affect her in a real fight. Supposedly Kayla has done a test cut, and test fight. Though Holly is 42 years old. She is still no pushover.

I have no problems with anything Rocky said. At the end of the day she’ll fight whomever the UFC puts in front of her.

imagine taking umbrage with your biggest fight

Holly with the flying knee KO in the first 5 seconds. Sadly the stupid glove touch to begin a fight makes this highly unlikely.

Kayla is very over rated. She's gonna fold when she eats those first few elbows, if she hasn't already gassed.

Back