Media Rashad Evans says Porier needs to be in the phone booth and work shots to the body

Conor puts the pressure on like Khabib , I doubt Poirier will even get to move forward in the first two rounds.

But that's the key

He better expect the immediate no glove touch death shot from Conor, and have a plan to counter it... Imanari Roll lol.

Conor by spinning heel kick to the liver in 11 seconds...ruining his business model.

Punching holes in Mcgregor’s gas tank with body shots is probably part of the plan

Dustin's best chance is not give conor any space the first couple rounds. Get in close, shoot takedowns even if he can't get Conor down, clinch conor against the cage and rip body shots. Making Conor grapple is the quickest way to burn his tank and while Conor is no bjj slouch Dustin definitely has an advantage there.

Punching holes in Mcgregor’s gas tank with body shots is probably part of the plan
If you can grapple with him and wear him down that way, why not do so? Why risk getting tagged?

He got in the “phone booth” the first fight and got clipped in the back of the head with a looping hook.

Dustin was doing fair at range the first fight. It was all back-of-head shots that sequenced the finished. Dustin needs to stay back, play this-for-that at range. That will also tire Conor out.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHR
A literal phone booth. Not even shitting you lol. Just like Super Man. <mma2>

To get in that phone you need close the gap. Without the threat of a great TD and the chin of Diaz its almost impossible to get in Conor's range without paying the price especially early in the fight.

Best strategy for Dustin is to be defensive Conor but also create enough action that will make Conor exert some energy. Its no secret that Conor fades in the middle rounds, those middle rounds is when Dustin can maybe turn it up but it depends how much damage he will take in the 1st 2 rounds.

I just don't think Dustin has the style and chin to beat Conor

Well what else is he supposed to do?

He isn’t going to take Conor down nor is he going to outclinch him, and Conor is also way better at range management. Dustin is going to get tagged regardless.

Rashad is right. His best bet is to drain Conor ASAP and he’s definitely capable of landing some good body shots.
Nah, Conor's clinch game isn't that great. If it goes to the clnch, Poirier has the advantage. Conor has to do what he always does when he wins and keep the opponent at range so he can dart in and out.

One option to me seems to be to turn it into a semi grappling approach, even if you can't get him down shoot for a leg and then use that to back him up against the cage mixing in dirty boxing.

As mentioned too Conor does look vunerable to the legs and body, a lot of the way Nate turned the second fight around was IMHO via working Conor to the body in the second round, Dustin doesnt have Nate's reach but I could potentially see him doing it with kicks.

Yeah fair but Dustin isn't a khabib level grappler or anything and as much as I don't like to admit it conor was impressive with his grappling even while getting mauled by khabib. (I thought it would be way worse lol)

He's a fairly big dude at LW with underrated grappling and TDD I think forcing his way in to try and grapple presents the same problems as trying to go to the body - he'll probably get cracked on the way in.

Hell maybe combine both grappling and body shots as a gameplan lol

Last edited:
Of course Dustin is going to exchange with Conor. He's not a grappler

Might not be a good idea now that Conor knows how to throw shoulder strikes of doom

If you've ever taken a solid shot to the body, you know it's the correct gameplan. If Dustin can manage to rip some good ones to the body early, shit can pay off.

It's a weird style matchup for Dustin though because everything Nate did well in the Conor rematch, Dustin can do even better. Everything except surviving that left hand.

Now, imagine Dustin with Nate's chin... This fight wouldn't even be fair...
Hmm, incorrect : he can't grow 3 times bigger.

Back