Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

WALKING THE EDGE (1985)

Joe Spinell and Robert Forster take an almost comically simple crime and revenge story and make it work by being their classic selves. Spinell is right in his comfort zone as a gun wielding criminal and here he's the main villain and not just some henchman. Forster is his classic schlub everyman who still gets the babes. The movie actually has a scene with him in bed with a big breasted woman and when she asks why he couldn't get it up he just shrugs. Who cares...it's a Robert Forster Schlub character. Thinning hair in Alligator. Dick only works sometimes in this movie but the babes still love him.

It's not as good as Alligator but it kind of works for some of the same reasons.

5.7 / 10. But every time I give one of these movies a passing grade I feel compelled to bump up Alligator a bit more.

Last edited:
RUMBLE THROUGH THE DARK (2023)

Aaron Eckhart as a broken down cage fighter trying to achieve some reasonably modest but also very challenging goals given his circumstances. I can't say for sure that this isn't the best performance I have seen all year. He won't get any Oscar attention but maybe he should.

7.4 / 10.

Last edited:
THE DOCTOR AND THE DEVILS (1985)

Stephen Rea, Timothy Dalton, Jonathan Pryce, Julian Sands, Patrick Stewart and some others in the true story of how an 1800s doctor and anatomy lecturer still discovering the secrets of the human structure relied on scumbags to bring him fresh bodies...from the recently buried or...elsewhere.

It's pretty well done but I think it could be redone today with a more serious and horrific approach. Pryce and especially Rea are sort of like the human versions of Bebop and Rocksteady and it all comes off as a bit more theatrical than it had to. Still pretty good though. Pryce is actually quite sinister as a lower class scoundrel unlike the more dignified roles he usually plays in older age.

6.6 / 10.

Last edited:
President_Man_a_Chuck_Norris_film.jpg

The President's Man

Chuck Norris/Joshua McCord is a distinguished Secret Service Agent who is entrusted with the security of the President and Dignitaries. A covert mission parachuting out of a stealth bomber aircraft and rescuing the First Lady are just a part of Chuck Norris/Joshua McCord's assigned duties. Sergeant Dylan Neal/Deke Slater has become Chuck Norris/Joshua McCord's protege in training. It's a good fun, popcorn movie

Last edited:
The Haunting-1963 8/10
This movie is based on Shirley Jackson's 1959 Novel The Haunting of Hill House. Several remakes and inspirations were drawn fromn this--The Haunting 1999, Stephen Kings Rose Red miniseries, and the Netflix Hill House. This is a very well done Haunted House story that served as the prototype for many that followed. Not as scary as todays movies and of course expect some cheese due to the age. But it is a fun watch and ahead of its time.

SUNSHINE (2007)

This one didn't make a huge impression when I first saw it and I began wondering why...a Danny Boyle film with Cillian Murphy. Shouldn't be underwhelming... Murphy is a physicist on a mission with an all star cast to detonate a special bomb in our dying sun to get it restarted and prevent the earth from freezing over.

Was quite good but then went off the rails with a side plot and threat to the mission that wasn't needed and in my opinion should never have been in the movie. Would have been great if it had just been a straight procedural with normal ship engineering problems and moral dilemmas about resources and such. The extra stuff really brought it down to just a pretty good movie. The ship itself also could have used a bit of personality in its design. Every set and every room was fit for purpose in terms of the movie but nobody would remember the ship here like they would in Alien or 2001 etc.

6.4 / 10.

SUNSHINE (2007)

This one didn't make a huge impression when I first saw it and I began wondering why...a Danny Boyle film with Cillian Murphy. Shouldn't be underwhelming... Murphy is a physicist on a mission with an all star cast to detonate a special bomb in our dying sun to get it restarted and prevent the earth from freezing over.

Was quite good but then went off the rails with a side plot and threat to the mission that wasn't needed and in my opinion should never have been in the movie. Would have been great if it had just been a straight procedural with normal ship engineering problems and moral dilemmas about resources and such. The extra stuff really brought it down to just a pretty good movie. The ship itself also could have used a bit of personality in its design. Every set and every room was fit for purpose in terms of the movie but nobody would remember the ship here like they would in Alien or 2001 etc.

6.4 / 10.

Yeah it starts to get a bit weird with sun zombie guy or whoever.

Shohei Ohtani Beyond The Dream on ESPN+ 9 out of 10

Not 10 because it lacked something something. Was great since most of it was Shohei talking, sharing his thoughts, history, other players like Hideki Matsui, CC Sabathia, Yu Darvish, Pedro Martinez. I liked that they made it where they got Shohei's reactions to the other players' segments.

Would have been nice if they also got thoughts from Hideo Nomo, Mike Trout, Aaron Judge.

LIGHT OF MY LIFE (2019)

Goddamn, I already knew Ben Affleck was the inferior actor in his family, but I didn't know he was the inferior DIRECTOR too! Didn't even know Casey directed (& wrote) this one, until the end credits ran. What a great fuckin' watch. Measured, simple, beautiful little post-apoc story, wherein Casey is also the lead. Don't even wanna ruin it with details, just if yer into the genre, give it a watch.

Barbie
-

This was a lot better than I was expecting. It definitely isn't as one sided or preachy as some claim.

I think it is similar to South Park's Panderverse in that people will see what they want to see in the movie depending on their point of view. But I think It explores all its ideas pretty fairly and has a good sense of humor about everything.

Gosling and Robbie were perfect casting and both give great comedic performances but also both get to delve into more serious acting moments.

MVP is definitely the visual style though. I smoked a fatty before I watched this and I havent been this visually satisfied with a movie in a while. Shit looks crazy.

Overall I think it was very good, has a lot of good laughs and gets its ideas across creatively instead of being too heavy handed. Could've been a bit shorter and America Ferrera and her daughter aren't as interesting of characters as they shouldve been.

7.45 range

Out for justice x Hard to kill rewatches.

-

I was quicker to revisit these than I thought. For whatever Seagal became he had a string of some good genre films. Listen, I just like rogue cop out for revenge who is also a martial arts master movies.

And for what worth.....seagal in movies like this or above the law or under siege isn't bad when it comes to screen presence and isnt the worst actor in the world. Definitely not the best either.

Hard to kill, definitely campier, Out for justice is basically Steven Seagal vs the godfather or Sopranos.

I think hard to kill is paced a bit better and seems more self aware in what is. Out for justice takes itself more seriously but I do think it ends up being a better movie than it was expected to be.

I think in the case of both movies they benefit from good support. In Hard to kill it is Frederick Coffin and in Out for Justice it is William Forsythe.

Coffin really sells his friendship with Seagal and the rapport. Forsythe just goes for it with an unhinged villain performance. Both balance out some of the weaknesses in Seagal.

And I said it before but I do like the almost invincible nature of Seagal in this films. He is beating your ass quickly and effectively. Get those close fights out of my face. Even john wick who gets criticized for being overpowered gets fucking clowned by early movies Seagal easily.

Which is the better movie.....I think Out for Justice does slightly enough to out point the better pacing and less tryhard nature of hard to kill. But it's kind of a swing either way. Forsythe is probably the key to push out for justice over the edge.

Overall, this double feature gets an 8/10

Hero_and_the_Terror_poster.jpg

Hero and the Terror

Chuck Norris/Danny O'Brien is a police officer who is referred to as Hero. Jack O'Hallaron/Simon Moon is an institutionalized, convicted felon referred to as the Terror. Chuck Norris/Danny O'Brien tracks down Jack O'Hallaron/Simon Moon after he escapes, he is using abandoned rooms inside a building as a haven. It is an okay movie overall.

Moonlight

It is a really well-made film. I saw Jenkins' subsequent film, the film adaptation of the book If Beale Street Could Talk, a couple of years ago and I think that he and his crew definitely have a knack for technically impressive work. The overall cinematography, editing, and pacing of both films was was impressive. If Beale Street Could Talk jumped around in terms of the timeline/narrative structure, but I felt as though it had more of a plot driving it. Moonlight is not really heavy on narrative at all. It's more character, theme, and tone-driven. That isn't really much of a negative, considering it allows Jenkins' and the actors' work to really stand out. Still, it might be viewed as a tough watch- not just in the sense that it is a sad film- in that the main character, Chiron, is so guarded, exactly what they were going for, given his struggles, that the viewer does not even learn too much about him. I felt like it was one of the strengths and drawbacks of the film. On the one hand, Chiron's closed off manner fits the film very well and helps to convey the inner pain he is dealing with, which he tries to keep under the surface. But it also can be somewhat distancing, and, given that the film relies much more on individual scenes and character interactions than story, that distancing is all the more pronounced.

One thing that surprised me was that Mahershala was in such a brief portion of the film. He very well might have had no more than ten minutes of screen time, which seemed strange to me because he commanded the screen whenever he was in there. Key case of a great actor making the most of a small role. In some ways, he sets the tone for the film, but I definitely think the character could have been utilized more. Considering how good he and Janelle Monae were, it felt like a bit of a waste that they were not in more of the film. I think you could have easily had about fifteen minutes more of those two characters' interactions with Chiron and it would have only added to the film. Mahershala also won the first of two Academy Awards for this movie and it's interesting to me that he won this one for probably one of the briefer supporting actor-winning performances and then won again for Green Book where he is the co-lead actor. Naomie Harris was excellent, too. Vastly different role than I'd ever seen her in.

Well-structured, technically impressive, strong performances. Recommended.

8/10

Arthur

I watched this film multiple times in my youth and got a kick out of it. First time I'd seen it in years and I thoroughly enjoyed it, once again. It's just a fun movie. Moore, Minelli, and Gielgud are all quite good in it. The screenplay gives them a lot of amusing dialogue to work with, but I don't think the film would work nearly as well as it does if there wasn't a resonant emotional connection between their characters. That's one of the things that stood out. I would say this film is pretty far from a dramedy- it's broadly comedic and, even it's more serious moments or implied serious moments do not linger. But there is a likability to the three main characters and both Gielgud's and Minelli's individual relationships with Arthur come across as genuine and caring. Without that, you'd still have the humor but it would probably would not have been as appealing overall.

I guess one of my few criticisms would be that the film is a breezy 90 minutes and while that does mean it doesn't overstay it's welcome, it also means that there's not a whole lot of time to flesh out certain aspects of the characters. There are a lot of other character interactions that have to be established in relatively brief scenes- such as Arthur and his father and grandmother, Arthur and his fiance, his future father-in-law, etc. And because those all have to take place in such a, relatively, brief film, you don't get much time to let any of the other elements breathe. Most notably, Minelli and Moore do a good job of selling their relationship with chemistry and likability, but I didn't think there was enough screentime shared between them to effectively convey that they had really fallen for one another and that Moore was going to turn over a new leaf for her. Probably just one more scene somewhere in there could have helped to accomplish that. Instead, the film relies of the good will of Gielgud looking out for his friend and boss to help sell it. Also, Barney "Morty Seinfeld" Martin should have gotten just a bit more screentime. Guy was always clutch.

Minor gripe. Highly entertaining.

8/10

last1.jpg

In Last Man Standing, Jeff Wincott/Kurt Bellmore is a police officer who after losing his partner on-duty is targeted by powerful criminal Jonathan Fuller/Snake Underwood. Jeff Wincott/Kurt Bellmore is also betrayed by other police authorities. It honestly felt like an old school 1980s action movie. The end subway station sequence with the obvious corpse sitting in the chair brought the laughs

Last edited:
DEAD PRESIDENTS (1995)

Maybe slightly better than I remembered it being. Story of some inner city brothers who go off to Vietnam and then come back and try to make ends meet with a life of crime in the aftermath. Both the city stuff and the Vietnam stuff are done pretty well. Definitely one of Keith David's best roles.

6.9 / 10.

Last edited:
Thanksgiving 6.5/10

Saw this today and thought it was solid. So happy to see Eli Roth doing over the top horror again, this is his best since Hostel imo. There were some cons for sure, the main cast of high school kids were annoying as hell and I did find it hard to root for anyone. Also, it oddly felt like a lot was cut, there were characters that were introduced but then much didn’t come from them. However, that opening Black Friday scene, and the majority of the kills were excellent! Very fun movie overall, not the best slasher ever but mostly it’s just awesome to have a new original big budget slasher, and it delivered imo.

The Substitute (1996)

I had wanted to see this movie for a long, long time. I had always assumed this was basically going to be like Death Wish but in a high school setting in the hood. But it wasn’t, instead it was some cheesy ass movie involving mercenaries and shit. I was hoping to get scary, psychotic Tom Berenger from Platoon terrorizing teenage gangbangers. Instead we got middle aged Tom Berenger who can’t fight for shit except for cutaways that presumably are of a stuntman doing martial arts, and him trying to be nice and connect with the students.

This movie was all over the fucking place. It’s got Al Pacino’s character’s wife from Heat looking as though she went straight from that movie onto the set of this one, haircut is 100% identical.

This movie also has to have the most blatant disregard for Chekhov’s Gun that I have ever seen. There’s a scene where Tom Berenger is going over to his girlfriend’s apartment where she’s being held hostage, and you see him slip some ninja throwing stars in his jacket pocket before he leaves his house. Close up shot of him grabbing them out of a BARREL FULL OF THROWING STARS and putting them in his jacket pocket. He never used them. HE NEVER USED THEM.

The movie also lacks any kind of denouement whatsoever. So fucking dumb.

4.0/10 but possibly worse. Might have been willing to go 4.3/10 if he had actually used the damn throwing stars.

Back