Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

I saw Civil War today. I knew going into it that they likely wouldn't cover much about the background of the actual war, like how it started, who all is involved, etc etc and that it would be more about the press/photographers. That was pretty much correct but they basically did not cover it at all. What you hear in the trailer is pretty much it, outside like 1 or 2 lines. The ending was absolutely terrible as well. I was OK with the movie until then. After the ending, solid 3 or 4 out of 10.

I don't think I can be fucked with it at all - I know what the narrative is going to be already.

I saw Civil War today. I knew going into it that they likely wouldn't cover much about the background of the actual war, like how it started, who all is involved, etc etc and that it would be more about the press/photographers. That was pretty much correct but they basically did not cover it at all. What you hear in the trailer is pretty much it, outside like 1 or 2 lines. The ending was absolutely terrible as well. I was OK with the movie until then. After the ending, solid 3 or 4 out of 10.

This is the first review for the movie I've seen on Sherdog. Was thinking about trying to see it this weekend..

This is the first review for the movie I've seen on Sherdog. Was thinking about trying to see it this weekend..
I tried to find the threads for it but the search turned up nothing. I thought I remember seeing one in the mayberry and another in the war room but I guess they got nuked.

Just watched Snowpiercer for the first time yesterday. Good film overall but nothing necessarily memorable. Chris Evans struggled to make some method acting scenes work, he was fine but I can imagine other actors doing those scenes way better. Ed Harris was way better in his role. Kinda confusing plot and resolution.

Dune 2

Loved almost everything about it. My biggest criticism is probably the lightning-fast pace. I really think the first book would have benefited from a trilogy because of that. It just moves so quickly and I would have loved to have immersed myself a little bit more in the world and it's characters, who because of the fast pace sometimes get left behind.

8.5/10

Fair_game.jpg

Fair Game

In Miami, a civil law attorney Kate McQueen/Cindy Crawford is the victim in an attempted shooting. After an interview, a cop Max Kirkpatrick/William Baldwin protects Kate McQueen/Cindy Crawford from a Russian KGB team. Despite the minor errors in the movie I find it to be very enjoyable. Overall it is just a fun movie

Slackers (2002)

-

Not exactly a review because I sort of had this on as background noise. I had already seen it before when it was regularly played on comedy central syndication.

It is a lower tier college age comedy. You have Devon Sawa (better known as Stan or Not Jeremy Renner) Jason Segal before he became notable, and Michael Maronna, from Pete and Pete and Home Alone 1 and 2.

Best part of the film is probably Jason Shcwartzman as "Cool Ethan", the main antagonist.

Laura Prepon is in it too. That 70s show.

Interestingly, it is also the only feature film directed by Dewey Nicks, photographer and commercial and music video director.

As far as the movie overall is concerned, finding a home on TV syndication was probably the best place for this movie to find an audience. You watched it because it was on and you were bored and needed to pass time.

There is one scene, at the very end of the movie, where Schwartzman sings a song out of nowhere called "little locked room." It is very random but the song is actually pretty catchy.

A movie/10. Has a few moments here and there I guess.

some quick hits from last weekend (had an acid+alcohol fueled 7-movie marathon w/ some friends right after UFC 300) & this week:

Spontaneous (USA, 2020) - 3.5/5
spontaneous.png

coming-of-age horror rom-com about two teens falling in love Senior year of high school... amidst an unexplained pandemic that is causing their fellow classmates in the graduating class to explode. i liked this movie a lot & think it's safe to say it's an underated gem in the coming-of-age subgenre. it had genuine laughs & feels, & the blossoming relationship at the center of the film developed in a way that felt genuine & relatable, all while being wrapped up cleanly in its absurd premise. recommend if you're into this kinda thing. i think @Pliny Pete would dig it

Thrashin' (USA, 1986) - 2.5/5
almost pooped myself when Josh Brolin's name popped up in the opening credits. almost pooped myself again during the sex scene because my friend & i were laughing so hard. my pants were spared, but i'm pretty sure i popped a rib.

Gleaming the Cube (USA, 1989) - 2/5
i still don't know what it means to gleam the cube.

Double Trouble (USA, 1992) - 1/5
laughed every time i saw David Paul's ridiculous outfit (a kid-sized Raiders crewneck sweater & mom jeans), but never at any of the comedy. Roddy McDowell was good as always (he's a great ham in schlocky low budget affairs), but him & the aforementioned outfit wasn't enough to distract from yet another trash Barbarian Brothers effort.

Mannequin Two: On the Move (USA, 1991) - 2/5
Kristy Swanson is gorgeous as ever, but Meshach Taylor as Hollywood stole every scene.

Kart Racer (Canada/Germany, 2003) - 1/5
most enjoyable thing about this droll kiddie movie was imagining it as a Jacob's Ladder scenario the entire time

The Limey (USA, 1999) - 3/5

Menashe (USA, 2017) - 3/5

The Marvels (USA, 2023) - 2.5/5

A Haunting in Venice (USA, 2023) - 2.5/5

Clan of the White Lotus (Hong Kong, 1980)

Rating: Kung Fu Classic

recently downloaded this. been high up on my must-watch-ASAP list

I tried to find the threads for it but the search turned up nothing. I thought I remember seeing one in the mayberry and another in the war room but I guess they got nuked.
i made a thread when the trailer dropped, but it got moved to the war room, so i deleted it.

Last edited:
some quick hits from last weekend (had an acid+alcohol fueled 7-movie marathon w/ some friends right after UFC 300) & this week:

Spontaneous (USA, 2020) - 3.5/5
View attachment 1040581

coming-of-age horror rom-com about two teens falling in love Senior year of high school... amidst an unexplained pandemic that is causing their fellow classmates in the graduating class to explode. i liked this movie a lot & think it's safe to say it's an underated gem in the coming-of-age subgenre. it had genuine laughs & feels, & the blossoming relationship at the center of the film developed in a way that felt genuine & relatable, all while being wrapped up cleanly in its absurd premise. recommend if you're into this kinda thing. i think @Pliny Pete would dig it

Thrashin' (USA, 1986) - 2.5/5
almost pooped myself when Josh Brolin's name popped up in the opening credits. almost pooped myself again during the sex scene because my friend & i were laughing so hard. my pants were spared, but i'm pretty sure i popped a rib.

Gleaming the Cube (USA, 1989) - 2/5
i still don't know what it means to gleam the cube.

Double Trouble (USA, 1992) - 1/5
laughed every time David Paul's ridiculous outfit (a kid-sized Raiders crewneck sweater & mom jeans), but never at any of the comedy. Roddy McDowell was good as always (he's a great ham in schlocky low budget affairs), but him & the aforementioned outfit wasn't enough to distract from yet another trash Barbarian Brothers effort.

Mannequin Two: On the Move (USA, 1991) - 2/5
Kristy Swanson is gorgeous as ever, but Meshach Taylor as Hollywood stole every scene.

Kart Racer (Canada/Germany, 2003) - 1/5
most enjoyable thing about this droll kiddie movie was imagining it as a Jacob's Ladder scenario the entire time

The Limey (USA, 1999) - 3/5

Menashe (USA, 2017) - 3/5

The Marvels (USA, 2023) - 2.5/5

A Haunting in Venice (USA, 2023) - 2.5/5

recently downloaded this. been high up on my must-watch-ASAP list

i made a thread when the trailer dropped, but it got moved to the war room, so i deleted it.

I just watched the spontaneous trailer, that definitely looks like something i'd enjoy, thanks for the recommendation

Out of curiosity, my wife decided to put on 'Nefarious' on Prime Video.

The storyline was okay, but the acting was on point. The dynamics of Sean Patrick Flannery were fun to watch, and it was (almost) reminiscent of Wes Cravens 'Shocker'. (Just better acting IMO)

Worth the watch, 4/5.

Hit a double feature while I had some free time this weekend.

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare - 8/10

Had alot of fun with this one, very over the top and the cast looked like they were having the time of their lives here. For around a 2 hour movie it flew by and it's one id like to revisit soon. Cast could have used a bit more individual seasoning but I see why they kept the pace quicker and that could've pushed it into more Inglorious Bastards territory.

Abigail - 8.5

This one surprised me, I saw a basic trailer but didn't really keep tabs on this movie. Pretty much all the characters in this are memorable, good villain, good pace, I knew where it was going based off the trailer but they did a nice job trying to swerve until the meat of the story hit. I left wanting more, hopefully we get some world building sequels down the road which is a possibility since the group that made this got booted from Scream 7.

Ghostbusters (1984)

Middle aged PHDs lose their funding at Columbia University. So, they start their own business in an emerging field.

One of the team feels the need to bring Thorazine on a date, and no one questions why.

One member is locked into his childhood and is essentially a manbaby that funds the business.

One is a genius that can miniaturize a nuclear power plant to the size of a backpack, and doesn't use this intelligence to use as alternative energy for the world.

One is an everyday guy brought in to be an objective eye to the oddities around them.

Eventually, they burn the Michelin tire guy and a professional dancer. Remember, this team is the good guys.

Merchandising/10

Ghostbusters (1984)

Middle aged PHDs lose their funding at Columbia University. So, they start their own business in an emerging field.

One of the team feels the need to bring Thorazine on a date, and no one questions why.

One member is locked into his childhood and is essentially a manbaby that funds the business.

One is a genius that can miniaturize a nuclear power plant to the size of a backpack, and doesn't use this intelligence to use as alternative energy for the world.

One is an everyday guy brought in to be an objective eye to the oddities around them.

Eventually, they burn the Michelin tire guy and a professional dancer. Remember, this team is the good guys.

Merchandising/10
Recently learned that the phrase "you're toast" (as in you are finished) originated from an ad-libbed line by Murray in this movie.

Touch of Evil (1958)
Film noir written and directed by Orson Welles, who also stars as a corrupt cop on the US-Mexico border. Charlton Heston is his foil as a special prosecutor working to shut down a Mexican crime family. Welles and the criminals collude to try and destroy Heston.
I watched the 1998 version, which sought to restore Welles's original vision, after the studios made edits against his wishes.

Gotta say I was disappointed. Had high expectations considering the talent involved. I think this was a movie filled with great scenes, but it was not a great movie. The characters behaved in implausible ways, and were not fully fleshed out. Parts of the plot were confusing, especially early on concerning the border. Overall, the story was not too captivating. That said, the camera work, lighting, acting, framing, are all excellent. Some moments and images stay with you. I just wish there was a better story connecting them.
7/10

Houseboat (1958)
Cary Grant and Sophia Loren in a rom-com. He is a widower with 3 kids, who has been a poor husband and father. She is a spoiled Italian babe visitng the US with her dad, who is on a concert tour as a conductor. She rebels against her dad by offering to be a nanny for Grant's kids. Spoiler alert- they fall for each other.

Think I would have liked this one more if Grant's character wasn't so unlikeable. I imagine when this came out, his position as an independent, strong-willed man who follows his heart despite what is best for his family, may have been more daring and charismatic. A few decades after the sexual revolution, he just comes across as a shallow, immature deadbeat dad. The songs are nothing special, and the humor often relies on the child actors, which rarely works.
3.5/10

Recently learned that the phrase "you're toast" (as in you are finished) originated from an ad-libbed line by Murray in this movie.

Touch of Evil (1958)
Film noir written and directed by Orson Welles, who also stars as a corrupt cop on the US-Mexico border. Charlton Heston is his foil as a special prosecutor working to shut down a Mexican crime family. Welles and the criminals collude to try and destroy Heston.
I watched the 1998 version, which sought to restore Welles's original vision, after the studios made edits against his wishes.

Gotta say I was disappointed. Had high expectations considering the talent involved. I think this was a movie filled with great scenes, but it was not a great movie. The characters behaved in implausible ways, and were not fully fleshed out. Parts of the plot were confusing, especially early on concerning the border. Overall, the story was not too captivating. That said, the camera work, lighting, acting, framing, are all excellent. Some moments and images stay with you. I just wish there was a better story connecting them.
7/10
the opening title sequence single take is super hot fiya

Monkey Man (2024)
I thought I was gonna love this but it was just......alright. Billed as an Indian John Wick but it was nowhere near as memorable as those movies. It was just an okay action movie.
6/10

Rebel Moon 2 4/10
This movie is bad. No denying it. Bad dialogue, disjointed, weird pacing, horrible direction. Like seperate story lines spliced together with bad flashbacks and narrative. Plot is the most used trope you can think of. Everyone from 7 Samurai, Star Wars, Star Trek, Battle Beyond The Stars, hell even the A-team used it. Real fighters train a small group of civilians/farmers to fight an army of true soldiers ....this movie manages to do that in 48 hours lmao. The characters do not even fit their back histories. As bad as it is, and it is bad....there are some cool action scenes, a great villain, and a really cool robot who could have made the movie had they given him more than a few scenes. No spoilers but just when you think the stink is over, they throw an odd plot twist suggesting a 3rd fucking movie lol.

the opening title sequence single take is super hot fiya

I like that movie a lot cause it has that bleak film noir vibe running throughout it, even though it’ was made significantly later than the peak of that genre.

I think the story goes in some interesting directions too, seemingly first about solving the murder at the border and then being more about Heston and Welles looking to destroy each other’s reputations because of their fundamental difference in philosophy (as well as for self-preservation on Welles’ part in that he knows Heston wants to bring his corruption to light).

It’s not a 10/10 classic but I think it certainly is a classic and compelling movie. Ending felt very appropriate to the genre.

“He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people…”

Legendary Weapons of China (Hong Kong, 1982)

Shaw Brothers kung fu move directed by Lau Kat-Leung. Leung also stars in the film alongside Gordon Liu, Hsiao Ho, and Kara Hui.

The film is sometimes titled "Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu".

The plot is confusing and bizarre even by the lofty standards of kung fu films. Set during the Boxer Rebellion (1900, give or take), several martial arts clans are engaged in spiritual (magic) kung fu. Those trained can resist bladed weapons but continue to die when confronted by western guns.

Lei Kung (Lau Kat-Leung) was a the leader of one of these groups but left when he became disillusioned by the deaths of his students by western weapons.

Kung is declared a traitor and warriors are dispatched to kill him. The would be assassins include Liu, Ho, and Hui.

The first half of the film is quite slapstick. For example, at one point, two of the would be assassins are fighting each other and, to avoid being exposed, have to pretend to be a cat and mouse locked in a struggle in the attic. Later, a different fight takes place at a latrine. It includes voodoo doll mind control. In the end, one of the participants says that his opponents stinks of waste and is too smelly to fight.

Kara Hui's character is obviously a woman (an attractive one) but apparently all the male characters think she is a man until about 2/3rd of the way through the film. Strange.

Like all Shaw Brothers films, the intensity of the fighting keeps increasing as the film moves along. By the final showdown, the comedy feels gone and it is replaced with serious, in the zany kung fu stye, fighting.

The legendary weapons part refers to 18 types of swords and spears that the characters use. I think that maybe there was a logic that weapon 2 beat weapon 1 but weapon 3 beats weapon 2 but I am really not sure. It definitely does not matter much to your enjoyment.

Rating: Not quite a kung fu classic but it is mostly a lot of fun and, as usual, the Shaws deliver some fighting spectacle in the last act.

Last edited:
Monkey Man (2024)
I thought I was gonna love this but it was just......alright. Billed as an Indian John Wick but it was nowhere near as memorable as those movies. It was just an okay action movie.
6/10
I felt the same at around a 6, they are churning out these revenge actions movies like crazy too so they really gotta bring something new to the table which is tough since John Wick 1-4 has covered alot most recently.

Stone Cold (1991)

-

I was entertained. It was on my list for a while from a lot of people here bringing it up. I have developed a taste for these late 80s, early 90s style of action/crime films.

I think Bosworth does a respectable job in the lead. It could've gone awry since he has the look of a hulking action hero and a lot of the film requires him to do undercover work outside of the action sequences. Similar to something like Raw Deal, I thought it balanced the action hero and undercover cop elements very well.

Lance Henriksen is great as Chains, leader of the biker gang. He doesnt ham it up too much but just the right amount to give him the craziness where you can see why he is so respected and feared despite being the smallest guy in the movie.

William Forsythe always brings it.

Overall it is a fairly straightforward action/crime movie that delivers what it needs to. A great opening scene and a great finale too. Right amount of cheese, grit, and full on bravado. Definitely quenches if thirsty for some testosterone fueled 90 minutes.

7.3/10 range

Full movie on YouTube

Back