Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

wow, never even heard of it. I’m pretty sure Brando and Depp were friends after having worked together on Don Juan Demarco so that’s probably how he managed to get him to do this. Did you ever see that one? I’ve heard it’s actually pretty entertaining.

I saw it once when I wasn't really paying attention. It's a good candidate for one of these 90s rewatches. That Bryan Adams song wouldn't go the hell away for like a year though.

Michael Clayton(2007)
Starring George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Sydney Pollack, Tom Wilkinson
Directed by Tony Gilroy
8.5-9/10

Clooney stars as an attorney in NYC who does bag man/fixer types of jobs. His current assignment is to be a watchdog for his firm's star attorney who is mentally ill but is the lead defense attorney for a chemical company whose product has resulted in the deaths of hundreds. When said attorney discovers the company knew its product was dangerous but kept producing it anyway he decides to rat out the company but winds up dead. Now the company is after Clooney as well since he has discovered what the company was doing.

I usually steer clear of strictly dramatic movies but I'm glad I gave this one a go.

this is such a great movie. one of my favourites.

Swinton deserved every accolade that she got but Clooney and Wilkinson (RIP) were also fantastic.

Young Adult (USA, 2011)

Comedy-drama (or perhaps better called an anti-romantic comedy) directed by Jason Reitman and starring Charlize Theron.

Mavis Gary (Theron) is a 30-something divorced, depressed, alcoholic asshole living in Minneapolis. Her career has been ghostwriting a series of previously successful young adult fiction books but the series has been cancelled and she is working on the final book. Judging from her apartment, it has not been a particularly lucrative endeavour.

At a a low point in her life, Mavis receives a email announcement from her high school boyfriend that he and his wife have just had a baby. Mavis takes this as a sign that she should go back to the town where she grew up and re-start her romantic relationship with him.

Once in the town, Mavis starts spending time with Matt (Patton Oswalt), a geek from her high school who is still physically crippled from the beatings that he took at the school. The object of Mavis' affection is the affable but simple Buddy (Patrick Wilson) and she quickly moves to entwine herself in his life.

The film hinges entirely on Theron's performance and she is entirely committed. She has always had a knack for comedy. A lot of the humour is dark and cringey. Theron fully embraces Mavis as the narcissistic asshole that Mavis truly is.

I have to give the film credit that they pick a lane and never deviate from it. The result is an uncomfortable but pretty good movie. Theron is great.

Rating: 6/10

Michael Clayton(2007)
Starring George Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Sydney Pollack, Tom Wilkinson
Directed by Tony Gilroy
8.5-9/10

Clooney stars as an attorney in NYC who does bag man/fixer types of jobs. His current assignment is to be a watchdog for his firm's star attorney who is mentally ill but is the lead defense attorney for a chemical company whose product has resulted in the deaths of hundreds. When said attorney discovers the company knew its product was dangerous but kept producing it anyway he decides to rat out the company but winds up dead. Now the company is after Clooney as well since he has discovered what the company was doing.

I usually steer clear of strictly dramatic movies but I'm glad I gave this one a go.

I just watched this again last week, such a great film.

The Island (USA, 2005)

Michael Bay science fiction action thriller starring Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Sean Bean, Djimon Hounsou, and Steve Buscemi.

Lincoln Six Echo (McGregor) and Jordan Two Delta (Johansson) live in a completely sealed compound because the outside world has been destroyed by a global contamination. Survivors live pampered lives in the compound although they must conform to regimented rules focused on maintaining optimal health (Lincoln is regularly denied bacon, much to his consternation) and avoiding romantic relationships (Lincoln does not like this one very much either).

Everybody lives in anticipation of winning The Lottery, a chance to go live on a pristine island paradise that is the only uncontaminated place left on Earth.

Lincoln starts to question the arbitrary nature of this enclosed society, and this puts both himself and Jordan in danger.

In many ways, this film is a loose remake of Logan's Run; somebody starts to question the underlying truth of their enclosed utopian existence and is immediately put in danger. Because it is a Michael Bay film, rest assured that there will be no examination of the philosophical ramifications of any of this nor will there even be an attempt at nuance. However, its looks great and lots of things go boom.

At least McGregor and Johansson can really act (and Johansson has also never looked better). They may be overqualified for their roles, but they add a lot to the movie.

Bay knows how to film a very specific aesthetic and he is a master of action set pieces. Both skills are on full display here. The ending is a monstrous failure of imagination. Basically, we get the full Michael Bay experience. Bay giveth, and Bay taketh away.

On the nitpicking side, Hounsou plays an elite bounty hunter type (and his screen presence, as always, is incredible) but there were 2 great pieces of unintentional comedy. First, they pay homage to Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive when Hounsou commands his team to set up a search perimeter based on how long some people have been on the loose. He assumes that they have a maximum speed of 1.2 miles/hour. What? Are they crawling? Second, Hounsou’s team is supposed to be an elite secret private force. In one scene, the employer says, “you can pick up your check from reception downstairs”. It made me laugh that they are getting paid by check! Who do they make it out to? “Super-Secret Bounty Hunters Inc.”?

I would be remiss if I fail to point out that the track suits in the compound are incredible. Quite possibly the greatest track suit aesthetic ever put on film. It is that good.

Rating: 6.5/10 (I added 0.5 for the track suits)

This is not a brainy movie but the trailer gives away too much and so I skipped it. Here is the poster instead:

1704650257453.png

Constantine and Raven absolutely dominated the latter from what I remember. Just great characterization and voice work. Made me feel that they should make another Constantine live action film- something a bit more in line with that version of the character. Keanu was good but it was just a different iteration.
I thought I heard they might reboot Constantine....I agree i did like Keanu's, but maybe this direction would play better on the screen.

The Island (USA, 2005)

Michael Bay science fiction action thriller starring Ewan McGregor, Scarlett Johansson, Sean Bean, Djimon Hounsou, and Steve Buscemi.

Lincoln Six Echo (McGregor) and Jordan Two Delta (Johansson) live in a completely sealed compound because the outside world has been destroyed by a global contamination. Survivors live pampered lives in the compound although they must conform to regimented rules focused on maintaining optimal health (Lincoln is regularly denied bacon, much to his consternation) and avoiding romantic relationships (Lincoln does not like this one very much either).

Everybody lives in anticipation of winning The Lottery, a chance to go live on a pristine island paradise that is the only uncontaminated place left on Earth.

Lincoln starts to question the arbitrary nature of this enclosed society, and this puts both himself and Jordan in danger.

In many ways, this film is a loose remake of Logan's Run; somebody starts to question the underlying truth of their enclosed utopian existence and is immediately put in danger. Because it is a Michael Bay film, rest assured that there will be no examination of the philosophical ramifications of any of this nor will there even be an attempt at nuance. However, its looks great and lots of things go boom.

At least McGregor and Johansson can really act (and Johansson has also never looked better). They may be overqualified for their roles, but they add a lot to the movie.

Bay knows how to film a very specific aesthetic and he is a master of action set pieces. Both skills are on full display here. The ending is a monstrous failure of imagination. Basically, we get the full Michael Bay experience. Bay giveth, and Bay taketh away.

On the nitpicking side, Hounsou plays an elite bounty hunter type (and his screen presence, as always, is incredible) but there were 2 great pieces of unintentional comedy. First, they pay homage to Tommy Lee Jones in The Fugitive when Hounsou commands his team to set up a search perimeter based on how long some people have been on the loose. He assumes that they have a maximum speed of 1.2 miles/hour. What? Are they crawling? Second, Hounsou’s team is supposed to be an elite secret private force. In one scene, the employer says, “you can pick up your check from reception downstairs”. It made me laugh that they are getting paid by check! Who do they make it out to? “Super-Secret Bounty Hunters Inc.”?

I would be remiss if I fail to point out that the track suits in the compound are incredible. Quite possibly the greatest track suit aesthetic ever put on film. It is that good.

This is not a brainy movie but the trailer gives away too much and so I skipped it. Here is the poster instead:

View attachment 1022254

I enjoyed it, it was fun.

"Well, excuse me, Miss "I'm-so-smart-I-can't-wait-to-go-to-the-Island!""

And yeah, Scarlett Johansson in those track suits was glorious.

Spoiler Alert

7/10

A gay romance where one of the partners gets cancer.

Though driven by some decent performances (I didn't know Sally Fields was still alive), it wasn't really anything we haven't already seen thousands of times. I suppose we haven't seen these situations from the gay perspective as often, certainly not through this specific a lens, but there were no surprises.

I imagine there's an audience that will really appreciate this film, and the story beats were quite clever, but not too much excitement here for most people.

001.jpg

The Island (USA, 2005)

View attachment 1022254

Yeah for the first while it was flirting with being something great and then Michael Bay went boom.

Airheads

-
Wanted to see how this held up. I remember liking it back when they used to play it on TV every once and a while.

I mean, it's okay I guess. I think Fraser, Buscemi and Sandler are likeable enough and then you have a decent supporting cast of actors around them like Ernie Hudson, Michael Mckean and chris farley among others because I'm sick of naming every actor in a movie. Standout is probably Joe Mantegna though.

I would say overall it is now what is was then. A decent movie that's more fun than it is actually funny.

I guess it is interesting these days to look back before the social media and YouTube era of promoting your music. I mean there are 20 somethings alive today who dont know what a cassette tape is.

But honestly if you want a comedy that deals with the early 90s rock era you're probably better off just rewatching Wayne's World 1 and 2. And then afterward you could throw this on if you want.

6/10 range but a bit generous.

Equalizer 3.

I enjoyed the first 2 quite a bit, but this one fell flat. Just when things started to pick up, it was over.

I liked the premise of Denzel getting older and somewhat losing a step that the film started with. Unfortunately, they didn't follow up on it.

Still worth the watch, if just barely.

5.0 outta 10

Dwayne The Rock Johnson: No Pain, No Gain (2020)

First, I would like to say I went into this documentary with unknown expectations. In review, I would stray away from the documentary unless you want the focus to be on The Rock as a Hollywood star and celebrity. His pro wrestling career was put on the back burner. Hard pass

Last edited:
Equalizer 3.

I enjoyed the first 2 quite a bit, but this one fell flat. Just when things started to pick up, it was over.

I liked the premise of Denzel getting older and somewhat losing a step that the film started with. Unfortunately, they didn't follow up on it.

Still worth the watch, if just barely.

5.0 outta 10

Only caught a little bit of it so far but yeah didn't seem on the level of the predecessors but certainly not bad. Cool aspect to me was Denzel and Fanning reuniting as co-stars nearly twenty years after Man on Fire.

Azor (Switzerland/Argentina, 2021)

Slow-burn political drama set in 1980 Argentina.

Swiss private banker Yvan de Wiel and his wife Ines arrive in Buenos Aries to find out what happened to his bank's missing partner, Rene Keys, and to stabilize the bank's operations in Argentina.

Argentina is in the midst of the so called "Dirty War". The fascist military dictatorship is targeting leftists and political dissidents. On their way from the airport Yvan and Ines observe 2 young men stopped by soldiers. We feel that violence could erupt at any moment. The banker and his wife are waved through.

Yvan goes about setting up meetings with the bank's clientele, a cross section of Argentine elite society. It becomes clear that Keys was a maverick who kept his own counsel and did business his own way, often outside the normal conventions of a conservative Swiss bank. Ivan needs to figure out where Keys went and what he was really up to before he disappeared.

Keys becomes a mesmerizing figure because we only see him through the descriptions of others; brilliant, despicable, charming, depraved, charismatic, and untrustworthy. Yvan, on the other hand, seems solidly boring but immensely discreet. His elegant wife is an active part of the business. As they make the rounds of meetings in mansions, ranches, and exclusive clubs, Ines chit chats with the women while absorbing every detail to feed back to her husband. She is the more ambitious of the couple and she knows how to manipulate him when she thinks that he is moving too slowly.

The film explains nothing and we are left to decipher what we can. Paranoia is rampant even among the rich. Nobody feels safe. Business is discussed in shorthand. We don't know the details but the need for discretion tells us a lot. One client hands Yvan a small duffle bag. Yvan later asks a Swiss diplomat to take it back to Geneva on his behalf. This is the world that these people inhabit.

This is a film that requires concentration and attention to detail. There is a mystery but we do not know if it will be solved. We are often not even sure exactly what the mystery is.

The film reminded me of elements of The Quiet American (the actions of the political elite in times of war) as well as The Conversation and many David Mamet films (how we are thrust into a very specific world with its own language and rules, none of which we understand). The plot itself points to Heart of Darkness with Keys taking the place of Kurtz. It is not until the magnificent final shot of the film that I realized I had it all wrong on that front.

This is an exquisite, subtle film. So subtle that it will frustrate many viewers. I was shocked to discover that this was writer/director Andreas Fontana's first feature film. It feels like the work of a well established master.

It is a masterpiece.

Rating: 9/10

Last edited:
The Boy and The Heron (dubbed version).
First off, had to Big Bro some kids into shutting the fuck up and turn their cellphones off.

It was a pretty slow start- yes setting the time period, the mood, etc, but still pretty sluggish- which was compounded by the loud teens talking over it as well.

Once the meat and potatoes of the movie kicked in I thoroughly enjoyed it. Obviously the visuals and the music were fantastic.
Hard to tell what was lost in translation with the Dubbing, but a lot to keep track of in terms of which character is which and who is who in certain scenarios.

I would really love to watch it again at my house lol.
7.5/10.

Red Heat

-

Finally got around to seeing this one. It was interesting having Arnold as basically terminator meets drago, but his charisma still comes through even though he is supposed to be the robotic straight man to to Belushi's sassy american cop.

Still, it does seem like the decision to have Arnold act like the Sovienator mightve slightly hindered what could've been a more interesting dynamic if they just let Arnold be himself but with the same basic ideals he has in the movie. I mean in some movies he plays an american and his accent is basically ignored. Dont know why they couldnt do the same with Russia.

But I get it was done purposely to enhance the odd couple aspect of the film and the contrast between the two countries. In the end I believed the friendship between them to a good enough extent. And Arnold as Danko is still a pretty well done character overall and easy to root for.

The plot kinda reminded me of Black Rain. Both have the main character traveling to a new country and teaming up with their police force to find the escaped bad guy. But Red Heat leans a little more into the buddy comedy despite not being overly comedic itself.

Support standouts to me were Peter Boyle and Ed O'Ross who is a great villain. Larry Fishburne was pretty good in it too. Just does what he to needs in the role, very workmanlike.

Overall it was a good crime/buddy cop action film. Has a little bit of grime and a little bit of 80s cheese and action.

7.4/10 range.

Wish You Were Here (Australia, 2012)

One part mystery thriller + one part family drama directed by Keiran Darcy-Smith (Animal Kingdom) and starring Joel Edgerton, Antony Starr, and Teresa Palmer.

Four Australians go to Cambodia for a beach vacation. Only three return to Sydney.

The film creates a real sense of mystery and as secrets begin to come out, we know that there are more to follow.

Ultimately the plot is a little thin and the film is unable to consistently ratchet up the tension. The ending was meh for me. The writers had a great set up but only a so-so resolution.

Given how hot the younger sister is, I can't really blame Dave for giving in to temptation.

It is an ok choice for a streaming movie.

Rating: 5.5/10

(this is a great trailer. sets the stage for the film but does not give away anything important)

Back