Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Here or Blood (2024) - 7/10

37B50C9F-B120-4447-8C65-FC7FB869B486.jpeg

For what this is I was very very impressed. It’s a low budget horror movie about a pro wrestler who takes on a babysitting gig and ends up fighting off a demonic cult. It was an extremely fun horror movie, very Evil Dead inspired with some extremely fun/gory demon action scenes. Acting wasn’t bad at all, effects were solid, and the gore was super heavy. I loved it.

Oppenheimer
9/10

cant find flaws in this film. Star studded cast, fast paced. I had this weird feeling of being so impressed with oppenheimers brilliance as well as that of the characters around him that it made me feel smart lol. Its a movie I feel I will have to watch a second time because there is so much quick dialogue and every scene feels important with so many characters being introduced that its easy to feel like I missed stuff.

If I had one critique it would be that I felt there was a slight drop in my personal emotional investment during the last third of the movie. At that point, the bomb had been dropped and it transitions into a kind of trial which felt a little like a drop off in the story arc since now it just becomes about whether or not he would be found innocent of being a russian asset. But they balance this final act with some awesome scenes of his internal conflict about his role in his creations and the final scene is a close up of cillian murphys eyes while he envisions the world burning which really hammers home the film

I wish I could see what everyone else saw cus I thought it was pretty bad tbh. I have no problem with long dialogue heavy films, however I just can’t recall any big memorable scenes from this movie that make it stand out in anyway. The cast is amazing on paper but none of the performances blew me away, all the acting performances felt very mediocre overall. Shot well and casted well for sure, but the substance of the film just did nothing for me.

I wish I could see what everyone else saw cus I thought it was pretty bad tbh. I have no problem with long dialogue heavy films, however I just can’t recall any big memorable scenes from this movie that make it stand out in anyway. The cast is amazing on paper but none of the performances blew me away, all the acting performances felt very mediocre overall. Shot well and casted well for sure, but the substance of the film just did nothing for me.
I disagree with you on the acting, I thought every character damn near was strong and I could feel their presence. I could see what you mean about specific scenes not feeling too memorable. The movie is just constantly jumping around. The scene that stood out to me the most was shortly after the bombs were dropped and Oppenheimer was giving a speech to an auditorium of people who were there cheering him and the success of the project, and then oppenheimer starts going into his own world where hes surrounded by all these people but hes envisioning the destruction of the deaths and he starts imagining the people in the audience having their skin peel off and it felt like for that brief moment I was in his head and could feel the emotions of being numb to the people around him while he was lost in the reality of the destruction that occurred.

Do you consider any of the shows filmed in Canada like Stargate Canadian?

How about Travelers?

I just find them to be below average. That is not to say there isn't some good stuff that comes out. But you can almost always pick out shows and actors that are Canadian.

Code 8 Part 2: 6.5/10
This is an ok Sci fi. Maybe B tier, not great but worth a watch if you like the genre. Everything about it is just OK. It is like Canadian television shows. Sometimes they are ok, but never great.
i think The Kids in the Hall, Nirvana the Band the Show, Letterkenny, Shoresy, Orphan Black, & Super Dave are/were pretty great.

+ Are You Afraid of the Dark? for the nostalgia bonus points

Moonrise Kingdom

-

I liked it a good amount. A young love/coming of age story in Wes Anderson fashion. It's cute. Very good cast as usual. Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Bruce Willis, Francis Mcdormant, Jason Schwartzman, etc.

The two main kids are good in the movie, feel like kids but also have the Wes Anderson style direction to give them that slightly fantastical/unrealistic character feel.

Pretty short and has a nice amount of heart and soul to it. Not my favorite Anderson film but definitely a solid movie overall.

7.2 range

Thanksgiving

-

Maybe coming off Halloween Kills and Ends really lowered the bar for whatever slasher came next. But I thought this was pretty fun. Some good kills, thought the characters were fine. Pretty much gave me what I wanted from it.

6.7/10

Moonrise went from one of my favorite Wes Anderson movies to one of my least favorite. i was surprised when it wasn’t holding up for me quite as well as i had expected it would on my rewatches.

Grand Budapest on the other hand was almost the exact opposite. it wasn’t necessarily one of my least favorites at first, but i was so unsure about how i felt that it might as well have been. now it’s easily one of my favorites, if not challenging Rushmore for my top dawg spot atm

Moonrise went from one of my favorite Wes Anderson movies to one of my least favorite. i was surprised when it wasn’t holding up for me quite as well as i had expected it would on my rewatches.

Grand Budapest on the other hand was almost the exact opposite. it wasn’t necessarily one of my least favorites at first, but i was so unsure about how i felt that it might as well have been. now it’s easily one of my favorites, if not challenging Rushmore for my top dawg spot atm

Rushmore i still need to watch. I liked Budapest but right now I have Darjeeling Limited as number 1 and then Life Aquatic or Royal Tenenbaums tied for 2.

Bottle Rocket wasnt bad from what I watched but never finished it.

i think The Kids in the Hall, Nirvana the Band the Show, Letterkenny, Shoresy, Orphan Black, & Super Dave are/were pretty great.

+ Are You Afraid of the Dark? for the nostalgia bonus points
Kids in the Hall for sure. I just always think of Degrassi, Bitten, Wynonna Earp...not the worst but nowhere near true quality. I have always noticed it, I can tell right away. I just googled it, and I am not alone. Articles titled "Why is Canadian TV so Bad?", "Why do Canadians hate Canadian TV?", "Canada is responsible for the worst TV shows in History" are all over. It might have something to do with lower budgets. BTW I liked Three Pines, starring Alfred Molina.

I really liked Grand Budapest when I saw it in the theatre and I liked it even more when I re-watched it. The ending hit me emotionally much more so than other Wes Anderson films (and I am a fan of Anderson).

I really liked Grand Budapest when I saw it in the theatre and I liked it even more when I re-watched it. The ending hit me emotionally much more so than other Wes Anderson films (and I am a fan of Anderson).
i think it is Anderson’s most impressive and nuanced emotional juggling act thus far. it boasts this bubbly & kinetic spirit that is aggressively infectious, all while it is slowly revealed to be masking a truly tragic inner pulse. a common thread in his work (especially his most recent projects), no doubt, but Anderson is at his most steadied & restrained in TGBH, the way he allows the layers to peel back before letting the emotional gutbomb detonate. the tragedy of it sits w/ you like a thanksgiving meal when it ends. very fine work indeed.

i think it is Anderson’s most impressive and nuanced emotional juggling act thus far. it boasts this bubbly & kinetic spirit that is aggressively infectious, all while it is slowly revealed to be masking a truly tragic inner pulse. a common thread in his work (especially his most recent projects), no doubt, but Anderson is at his most steadied & restrained in TGBH, the way he allows the layers to peel back before letting the emotional gutbomb detonate. the tragedy of it sits w/ you like a thanksgiving meal when it ends. very fine work indeed.
well said.

THE WORLD'S FASTEST INDIAN (2005)

Anthony Hopkins stars in a Straight Story type of old man on a road trip with a purpose movie, about an old codger from New Zealand who is hell bent on setting a motorcycle land speed record in the United States in the 1960s. Just a nice little movie that does what it sets out to do.

6.9 / 10.

Last edited:
Pink Flamingos (USA, 1972) - 4.5/5

a friend of a friend was celebrating their bday last night & apparently they invite peeps over to watch Pink Flamingos every year for their bday celebration. since it’d been awhile, & i still hadn’t seen Criterion’s new transfer yet, i decided to go when my friend invited me to join. real glad i did. i’ve always loved this movie (the dialogue is a legit laugh riot—it’s as baroque as it is tongue-in-cheek goofy & it’s delivered like a semi-automatic rifle), but i didn’t know how much fun it’d be watching it w/ a room full of people, mostly strangers, & at least 1/3rd of whom were first-timers. had a blast.

oh yeah, & the transfer looked great (ofc)

Pink Flamingos (USA, 1972) - 4.5/5

a friend of a friend was celebrating their bday last night & apparently they invite peeps over to watch Pink Flamingos every year for their bday celebration. since it’d been awhile, & i still hadn’t seen Criterion’s new transfer yet, i decided to go when my friend invited me to join. real glad i did. i’ve always loved this movie (the dialogue is a legit laugh riot—it’s as baroque as it is tongue-in-cheek goofy & it’s delivered like a semi-automatic rifle), but i didn’t know how much fun it’d be watching it w/ a room full of people, mostly strangers, & at least 1/3rd of whom were first-timers. had a blast.

oh yeah, & the transfer looked great (ofc)

RIP chicken.

ive been trying to watch all 10 films that were nominated for best movie at this years oscars. I got another 3 out of the way these last 24 hours

The Holdovers
7/10
enjoyable movie. I liked the ending with Giamati's character finally sticking up for himself even at the cost of his job. Although we still dont get closure on his future or that of the student, it ended with a sense of hope that they will come out stronger. Just not sure I see this movie as anything special that sticks with you after the film ends.

Poor Things
8/10
This is a movie I probably would have never watched if it wasnt for my decision to watch all the oscar movies, but Im glad that I did. This movie was much better than I aniticpated. Weird as hell so not for everyone but I genuinely enjoyed the characters and was engaged the whole time. The set pieces and different camera angles were a treat and I appreciated the art of it. It was funny as well. All the characters throughout this girls journey were fun to watch.

American Fiction
5/10
I actually wanted to see this one and it started off strong with a good premise and funny banter between the characters. But after awhile, I just lost interest. It became a meh story about a mans struggles in life and with each passing minute I found myself caring less and less where this movie went and the premise no longer amusing or engaging.

Haven't seen Disturbia (2007) in years so wanted to rewatch it. It was kind of a popular movie at the time.

it still hold up in a lot of ways. My issue then and my issue now is whether it made the right choice in the direction toward the end when it decides to not leave anything unanswered. Though i get why they did it that way since the other way might've divided audiences a lot more.

Labeouf was genuinely good in it, back when he was really getting his push from Hollywood and seemed to show up in everything. David Morse is the clear MVP though, plays his role right on the edge where you arent quite sure what his deal is.

Wondering if Shia watching Roemer through a window getting undressed and such would fly today but it was a more innocent time when you could stalk the neighbor girl and still end up dating her.

6.9/10 range. Fun popcorn thriller.

Last edited:
Under The Skin. It's been covered here but what a film... Hadn't heard of it before watching and it was far better than expected. Certainly not for everyone as it's cold and a bit abstract but it made me think of Kubrick and Eyes Wide Shut. Plus Johansson...

Back