Movies Rate and Discuss the Last Movie You Saw v.16

Under The Skin. It's been covered here but what a film... Hadn't heard of it before watching and it was far better than expected. Certainly not for everyone as it's cold and a bit abstract but it made me think of Kubrick and Eyes Wide Shut. Plus Johansson...
so good. love me some Johnny Glazer. you should check out his newest from last year, The Zone of Interest. he has a strange career because it takes him so long between films to start a new project, but at least the ones we do have are all legitimately great. my personal fave is Sexy Beast

so good. love me some Johnny Glazer. you should check out his newest from last year, The Zone of Interest. he has a strange career because it takes him so long between films to start a new project, but at least the ones we do have are all legitimately great. my personal fave is Sexy Beast
Great suggestion, I 100% will. When I discover a director speaking to my sensibilities I like to check out everything they've done.

I watched "The Holdovers" a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it. 3,5/5 imo.

Past lives

8/10

just a tough movie to give a score to. It’s a movie that makes you think about your own life. I thought about my own relationships and opportunities missed. It’s emotional. It has some very real dialogue. The ending scene, I almost felt like the guy was the one who was taking this way too hard and maybe these severe emotions were not quite reciprocated by the girl but then after he leaves one last time in the taxi and we see her break down and cry and then roll credits I realize that it was very much mutual.

The movie is quite simplistic though. It takes no risks. It’s a very straightforward story about how life can deviate and what we know and embrace could so easily be very different if things took a different turn. hard to imagine such a simple story actually winning best movie at the Oscar’s but I’m glad it got some love

The Nice Guys (2016)….they completely set it up for a sequel and it did so poorly at the cinema it just never happened. I’m in awe still how this film tanked. Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe, great secondary cast….70s LA setting. I’ve seen it maybe 4 times now. An immediate recommendation, again and again.

The Nice Guys (2016)….they completely set it up for a sequel and it did so poorly at the cinema it just never happened. I’m in awe still how this film tanked. Ryan Gosling, Russell Crowe, great secondary cast….70s LA setting. I’ve seen it maybe 4 times now. An immediate recommendation, again and again.

I would like a sequel too even if they could just get it done for Netflix or something like that.

Tolkien

7/10

Biopic of J.R.R. Tolkien.

I enjoyed the film, which followed him from his childhood through to the moment he started The Hobbit. It focused on his early love of language, his relationship with the woman he would marry, the bond between him and his early literary friends, and his experiences in the war and their effect on him.

Nicholas Hoult was good as Tolkien and his take on Tolkien's passion for language and legend was convincing. I'm fairly confident most of the film was assumed for dramatic effect, but it was done respectfully and as a hardcore fan of the man and his works, I approve.

61QVqivA+oL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Anyone But You

5.5/10

Romantic comedy starring Sydney Sweeney.

I don't watch movies like this unless they're something special (Love Actually, for example). This definitely wasn't that but everyone's been talking about Sweeney so I figured what the hell.

No surprises, no funny jokes, no real chemistry between our couple, and awkward body comedy that only served to let Sweeney show off the goods.

I wish they had tried a bit harder. They had some interesting elements but they were woefully underdeveloped. They mostly tried to hit the same beats all these films hit, but they didn't bother to do it well. The characters had some facets to them but it was all just a facade, ultimately they felt hollow and forgettable.

MV5BNDYzYzc0MDYtMGM2MC00YzNjLWJhMjYtYzJhMWViMjgxZTcwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_.jpg

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry

7.5/10

An old man walks to the post box to send a letter to a dying friend, and decides to walk across England to deliver it in person.

At first this felt like a riff on Forrest Gump running across the country, and there are even similarities in how he inspires people from every walk of life as his story spreads. As the story develops it grows into much more, and the stories of each person he encounters feel like melancholy parables.

Jim Broadbent was excellent as was Penelope Wilton, who played his wife. Are they ever not great?

This isn't for everyone but it was definitely for me. A lot of pain in this film, wrapped around hope.

35031_168038_ps_sd-high.jpg

Edit... I deleted the trailer which gives away half the film.

Pride of the Yankees (1942)

The film covers the life of legendary Yankees player Lou Gehrig. This is a crowd-pleaser that has some timeless elements but also has aspects that really position it as one of those "they don't make them like that anymore" classics. There is a genuine likability to the way Gary Cooper and Teresa Wright play Lou and Eleanor Gehrig. The film handles their love story in an upbeat, idyllic manner and seamlessly highlights his elite career in baseball. It's a very entertaining and endearing film. I do feel that the film, while not shying away from the physical and emotional turmoil of Lou's illness, does treat the diagnosis scene in a vague manner. I think it speaks to the time of this film's release that there is virtually no emphasis on the nature of ALS, not even a scene where the doctor explains it to Lou. I think a scene such as that would have really been emotionally effective and, more importantly, would have helped to raise awareness of an illness that, at the time, was still not really publicly known. Instead, the brief scenes with the doctor play out like this: the doctor skirts around the severity of the illness, merely telling Lou he will have to step away from baseball for some time, before Lou presses the issue as though he gleans that he has something terminal despite the doctor having made no such statement. Then, Eleanor gleans the stark nature of the diagnosis merely by seeing through Walter Brennan's downplaying of it to spare her the heartache. I thought this just came across as contrived and lacking the authenticity you would see had a Lou biopic been made even a couple of decades later.

Overall, though, the film is an inspirational and poignant one. Gehrig's farewell address at the stadium is an emotional high point that is truly memorable. Very good tribute to a legendary sports figure.

8.2/10

Silent night
-
Could've been about 20 minutes shorter. The choice to have little dialogue was interesting but I thought it worked and was still able to get a story and emotional stakes across around all the action scenes. Could've been a lot better, could've been a lot worse. 6/10

Sexy Beast - very good, reminded me of a Guy Ritchie film a bit. Winstone was great in it but I think Kingsley steals the show as the intimidating boss who throws childlike tantrums to get his way. Nice amount of humor, tension, and suspense throughout. 7.5/10

Come and See - very well done impactful war film. Really shows the anguish and mental affect it can have on a young mind. Some very disturbing moments. Really liked the way it was shot and directed which gives it a very haunting kind of atmosphere throughout. 7.9/10 range

The Quest - basically another Bloodsport clone but a good one. Adds a nice sense of adventure toward the build up to the typical tournament. JCVD is JCVD, and he is helped a lot by the support of James Remar and Roger Moore. Good score and cinematography. Not bad direction by Van Damme. 7/10

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (UK, 1961)

British apocalyptic science fiction film about rapid climate change due to a change in the Earth's rotation around the sun.

The protagonist is Peter Stenning, a middle aged man in a downward spiral who works as a newspaper journalist when he is not drinking and chasing women. Based on his rapidly declined stature at the newspaper, his vices have overwhelmed his talent some time ago.

The story is largely told through the newsroom at The Daily Express as Peter and the other reporters try to make sense of rapidly changing weather patterns and other odd phenomenon, such as a solar eclipse that occurs days ahead of schedule.

The opening scene is iconic. A lone man (Peter) walks down the a deserted London street as the sun bakes him from above. The actor brings a perfect combination of weariness and physicality to the scene. The film is black & white but this scene is tinted yellow and the audience can practically feel the sweat dripping off the character.

The film explores common 60's themes of nuclear weapons paranoia and a distrust of government institutions. The producers could never have guessed that they were perfectly capturing the climate change debate of the present day. If this film was made today it would be attacked as political propaganda by climate change deniers. That is how chillingly prescient it is.

The effects are dated (of course) but the storytelling is solid and the lead actor is excellent. The everyday lives of newspaper writers in that era made me stressed out just watching them.

Rating: 6.5/10

The trailer gives away too much but I shared it below anyway. Fair warning.

Silent night
-
Could've been about 20 minutes shorter. The choice to have little dialogue was interesting but I thought it worked and was still able to get a story and emotional stakes across around all the action scenes. Could've been a lot better, could've been a lot worse. 6/10

Sexy Beast - very good, reminded me of a Guy Ritchie film a bit. Winstone was great in it but I think Kingsley steals the show as the intimidating boss who throws childlike tantrums to get his way. Nice amount of humor, tension, and suspense throughout. 7.5/10

Come and See - very well done impactful war film. Really shows the anguish and mental affect it can have on a young mind. Some very disturbing moments. Really liked the way it was shot and directed which gives it a very haunting kind of atmosphere throughout. 7.9/10 range

The Quest - basically another Bloodsport clone but a good one. Adds a nice sense of adventure toward the build up to the typical tournament. JCVD is JCVD, and he is helped a lot by the support of James Remar and Roger Moore. Good score and cinematography. Not bad direction by Van Damme. 7/10

Sexy Beast was fantastic, I need to see it again soon.

Also The Limey, which nobody ever talks about.

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (UK, 1961)

British apocalyptic science fiction film about rapid climate change due to a change in the Earth's rotation around the sun.

The protagonist is Peter Stenning, a middle aged man in a downward spiral who works as a newspaper journalist when he is not drinking and chasing women. Based on his rapidly declined stature at the newspaper, his vices have overwhelmed his talent some time ago.

The story is largely told through the newsroom at The Daily Express as Peter and the other reporters try to make sense of rapidly changing weather patterns and other odd phenomenon, such as a solar eclipse that occurs days ahead of schedule.

The opening scene is iconic. A lone man (Peter) walks down the a deserted London street as the sun bakes him from above. The actor brings a perfect combination of weariness and physicality to the scene. The film is black & white but this scene is tinted yellow and the audience can practically feel the sweat dripping off the character.

The film explores common 60's themes of nuclear weapons paranoia and a distrust of government institutions. The producers could never have guessed that they were perfectly capturing the climate change debate of the present day. If this film was made today it would be attacked as political propaganda by climate change deniers. That is how chillingly prescient it is.

The effects are dated (of course) but the storytelling is solid and the lead actor is excellent. The everyday lives of newspaper writers in that era made me stressed out just watching them.

Rating: 6.5/10

The trailer gives away too much but I shared it below anyway. Fair warning.

Have to check this out.

Have you see On the Beach? Classic apocalypse film.

Quo Vadis (1951)

Just as westerns were a far more pervasive genre in the 50s and 60s compared with modern day, these epic sword and sandal type films really had their heyday in that era. Most attempts in the past couple of decades seem to have paled in comparison to the best ones of that earlier period. And even stuff that I'd call pretty good like Troy and Kingdom of Heaven just doesn't quite measure up for me. But a film like Quo Vadis, which I saw multiple times in my youth, just really works.

The film's premise, based on a novel, involves a Roman general named Marcus who returns from a three-year campaign during Nero's reign. He reunites with his uncle, a noble named Gaius Petronius, who arranges for his nephew to stay with a retired general and his family before he heads to his estate in Sicily. At that general's home, he becomes enamored with the couple's adopted daughter, played by the great Deborah Kerr. When he learns that she is actually the daughter of a defeated king who had to send her to Rome as a hostage in her youth, he uses his status as a war hero to convince Nero to pledge her to him. He gradually learns that she is a Christian and that she and fellow members of the religion within the empire are quietly practicing their faith in a potentially hostile environment.

Meanwhile, Peter Ustinov plays Nero as unhinged, delusional, and callous. Petronius, ostensibly his close friend, consistently uses his influence to curb Nero's more violent tendencies. But Nero, surrounded by sycophants and enabled by his similarly malicious (but far more focused) wife Sabina commits an atrocity. When he realizes that the furious denizens of the city are going to besiege the palace, he scapegoats the Christians as a means to save himself and preserve his rule.

I think a lot of films from this era that were based on novels were really narratively tight. The result is that you can have a three-hour long movie like this one that is so well-structured that you do not feel the runtime at all. It moves very briskly. Every scene feels like it is necessary and they all logically build to the climactic sequence. Like many films in this genre, the scale and scope are really effective. It's a technically impressive movie.

The performances are all quite good. Ustinov and Leo Genn as Nero and Petronius steal any scene they are in. Since they share a lot of screentime, the dynamic between those two characters is a very important factor in the film. I thought Genn's laid back affability worked really well for the character. He plays Petronius as a guy who feels confident that he can manipulate Nero in a manner that will at least prevent him from indulging his most debased intentions. He even has a bit of fun with it, encouraging him to keep writing subpar songs and poems and amusingly urging him to use the word omnivorous to describe himself in one of these songs even when he clearly intended to use the word omnipotent. But when Nero burns Rome without having informed the nobles he planned to do so, Petronius becomes well aware of the limitations of his influence and is horrified and shocked that it happened.

The Robert Taylor-Deborah Kerr love story is good, too. The movie does a good job of focusing, in the first hour, more on thematic elements like oppression, self-determination, and the abuse of power. Only gradually does the film become more about Kerr's and her friends' religious affiliation. It's a solid element of the narrative because it adds to the sense that the characters have to practice their religion quietly for self-preservation. The film gets pretty intense and unsettling, too. Even though movies in that era did not show graphic depictions of violence like modern movies, the implied, offscreen, and quick cutaway brutal acts have a similar impact.

Really liked this one when I last saw it a couple of decades ago. Really liked it now. Not as good as Ben Hur or as memorable as The Ten Commandments, but highly recommed it to anyone who likes these classic genre films.

8.3/10

Zone of interest

4/10

The winner of best foreign film and nominated for best film at this years Oscar’s, I have to say this movie is a tough watch. It’s basically a very mundane story with no action and no conclusion about the real life story of the man and his family who was in charge of running Auschwitz’s concentration camp. They live outside the walls of the camp where over 3 million Jews died. You won’t see any Jews being killed or executions or people fighting to free anyone. What you will see is a nazi family tending to their garden and eating supper. The movie is undoubtedly powerful and sends a very important message. There is just nothing enjoyable about watching it.

Dune II (2024)
As expected, it looked and sounded epic. However, I found the actual content to be thin on the ground for the most part. Not an awful lot happens, but was definitely worht a visit to the cinema.
7/10

Back