Ravens Flock: "RETURN OF THE OFFENSE" 2019 edition

So, is Z'Darius Smith at least decent? As in, I know he's not boss-level Matthews, GOAT Mack and shit levels but if there's another guy supplying pressure as well will he at least get home some?

So, is Z'Darius Smith at least decent? As in, I know he's not boss-level Matthews, GOAT Mack and shit levels but if there's another guy supplying pressure as well will he at least get home some?

He's good. Pretty significant loss for the Ravens, TBH.

He's good. Pretty significant loss for the Ravens, TBH.
Like I get system plays a huge role for pass rushers I'm just curious how him paired with the Smith from Washington along with Kenny Clark and the Gary pick will at least pressure QBs.

Like I get system plays a huge role for pass rushers I'm just curious how him paired with the Smith from Washington along with Kenny Clark and the Gary pick will at least pressure QBs.

No idea about those other guys but you should expect quality play from Za'Darius Smith.

Yeah, Smith was one of the toughest losses of the offseason. Not a superstar, but definitely quality player.

Hearing both that the Ravens secondary is leveling receivers, lmao, and that Lamar Jackson has looked good. I'm expecting big things from him this year.

u63mW1E.gif

I feel like this is pretty big news:

1) Chris Board has the inside track on the the starting LB job
The “Chris Board Hype Train” has been building steam all offseason and following the commencing week of training camp, it continues to gain momentum. Board impressed throughout OTA’s and minicamp and after seeing a lot of reps with the starters, he’s lined up alongside Patrick Onuwasor at linebacker with the first-team defense. Many have suggested Board will be the next UDFA linebacker to make an impact in Baltimore, following in the footsteps of Bart Scott, Jameel McClain, and Zach Orr, among others.

Board has been more impressive than Kenny Young thus far, his primary competitor for the second starting linebacker spot. It’s too early to count out the latter just yet and regardless of who starts, both players will have big roles. Still, by all accounts, Board has the edge over Young at this current moment in time.

"It's just Day 1, but second-year undrafted ILB Chris Board spent a lot of time running with the starters alongside Patrick Onwuasor. Board seems to be ahead of Kenny Young for the other starting spot. Coaches love Board's speed."

— Bo Smolka (@bsmolka) July 25, 2019
https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2...g-camp-lamar-jackson-chris-board-miles-boykin
--------

Why is it big news? Because last year Kenny Young popped off the screen every time I saw him play: he looked like a really good player. So good, in fact, that I wanted the Ravens to trade CJ Mosley and I haven't been worried about losing him at all. If this Chris Board is blowing him away, we may have another Zachary Orr (a great player) on our hands! Which would be epic.

And the biggest news:

5) Lamar Jackson appears much-improved
All eyes have been on Lamar Jackson thus far during training camp and the early returns have been positive. Jackson hasn’t been perfect, but based on everything we’ve seen from him through four practices, he looks sharper as a passer. Jackson’s mechanics appear to be more fluid and consistent, his spiral has tightened up, and he’s delivering accurate passes to his targets. Jackson’s development may be the most important factor to the team’s success, so these are definitely good signs.

Will he continue to go through some ups and downs? Surely, but there’s no denying Jackson looks good - much better than he did at this time last season. Something else Jackson is doing well isn’t related to his quarterback ability - handling pressure and embracing leadership. Jackson hasn’t let the immense pressure and critique surrounding him in the public eye affect him, and he seems to be improving as a leader, too.

Watch here as he drops a dime to Willie Snead IV:

"Lamar Jackson lays one in perfectly to Willie Snead deep downfield pic.twitter.com/aKmkPxtPpN"

— Jamison Hensley (@jamisonhensley) July 28, 2019
https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2...g-camp-lamar-jackson-chris-board-miles-boykin
----------

Yay! :)

I got LJ at 3.5k passing/1k rushing this year.

Last edited:
I'm really excited about the next couple years for this team because we know Harbaugh is a great coach, like, I wouldn't want anyone else besides him coaching the team... and now that he won't be handicapped at QB by Flacco's ineptitude. I think, this season, that Lamar Jackson will be a better passer and make better reads than Joe ever did, and he's already willing to do more work in his personal time. Flacco would never put in extra work, which Lamar is willing to do.

I cheered for Flacco when I had to. He was clutch in moments, but he wouldn't play full games making good reads and throwing good passes.

On the defensive side, if we had kept Zach Orr (he had a congenital spine condition and had to retire), we would have been more stacked at LB the last couple years.. and now we have someone stepping up like him with this Chris Board guy -- that makes me really excited! Kenny Young is good, if someone is outclassing him it's notable. CJ Mosley won't be a loss that matters.

I am a little concerned about the pass rush bc losing both Suggs and Za'Darius Smith is a lot of production to lose.

I am also excited about the team's cap space the next couple years and the availability of getting more free agents.

I'm excited about the secondary, as always. I think this is the last year of Jimmy Smith's contract. We'll see how he performs, but he could be cut next year and they could pay Jalen Ramsey the money he wants in 2 years in place of Jimmy Smith. Or, more likely, probably, that money will go to keeping Ronnie Stanley (left tackle). Either way, they'll have cap space the next couple years w/o Flacco and Smith's contracts taking up so much. No chance Jimmy gets re-upped at the same price.

This team will dominate most of this season and make a deep playoff run, I think.

Last edited:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27288731/ravens-brown-clear
Ravens' Brown clears final hurdle, set to practice

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens first-round pick Marquise Brownpassed his physical Tuesday, the final hurdle before he gets on an NFL field for the first time.

Brown, the first wide receiver selected in this year's draft (25th overall), could practice as soon as Wednesday. He has been recovering from foot surgery in January. Brown didn't participate in any of the spring workouts and was put on the non-football-injury list to start training camp.

During the Ravens' first five days of training camp, Brown has worked off to the side and has looked fast while running the length of the field. Baltimore was being cautious with him because he was experiencing soreness in his surgically repaired left foot.

If Brown returns to practice this week, it will put him on track to play in all four of the Ravens' preseason games. They open Aug. 8 vs. Jacksonville.

Nicknamed "Hollywood," Brown was one of the fastest players ever evaluated by ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay. The Ravens hope Brown develops into a top playmaker for quarterback Lamar Jackson in a revamped wide receiver group. Brown averaged 17.5 yards per reception at Oklahoma and led the Power 5 conferences with eight touchdowns of 25 yards or longer.

"Obviously, he's always down because he wants to go out there and play," said Ravens rookie wide receiver Miles Boykin, who is Brown's roommate for camp. "I'm anxious to see him get out on the field because he's exciting. Every time he goes out there, he gets excited. ... I love Marquise, and I can't wait to see what he does because, that dude, he's going to be special."

----

Nice!

Everyone is already raving about Miles Boykin, we will see how our mini-AB does.

And the biggest news:

5) Lamar Jackson appears much-improved
All eyes have been on Lamar Jackson thus far during training camp and the early returns have been positive. Jackson hasn’t been perfect, but based on everything we’ve seen from him through four practices, he looks sharper as a passer. Jackson’s mechanics appear to be more fluid and consistent, his spiral has tightened up, and he’s delivering accurate passes to his targets. Jackson’s development may be the most important factor to the team’s success, so these are definitely good signs.

Will he continue to go through some ups and downs? Surely, but there’s no denying Jackson looks good - much better than he did at this time last season. Something else Jackson is doing well isn’t related to his quarterback ability - handling pressure and embracing leadership. Jackson hasn’t let the immense pressure and critique surrounding him in the public eye affect him, and he seems to be improving as a leader, too.

Watch here as he drops a dime to Willie Snead IV:

"Lamar Jackson lays one in perfectly to Willie Snead deep downfield pic.twitter.com/aKmkPxtPpN"

— Jamison Hensley (@jamisonhensley) July 28, 2019
----------

Yay! :)

I got LJ at 3.5k passing/1k rushing this year.
tenor.gif

<puh-lease75>

Damn this is some great news -- 'Hollywood' Brown, our #1 pick is looking good in his first practices!

Ravens coach John Harbaugh wore a t-shirt that read “Speed Kills” on Thursday, the seventh day of training camp.

It was an apt fashion choice.

One day after being cleared to practice, Ravens receiver Marquise “Hollywood” Brown ramped up his work and showed the type of quickness that could potentially make him a lethal weapon this season.

Brown flawlessly handled punts during special teams drills, exploding down field once the ball was secured in his hands. He also continued his rapport with Lamar Jackson, catching intermediate passes down the sideline and middle of the field. Perhaps, most impressively, Brown seemed to be on another level than the other receivers when he was performing his footwork under the watchful eye of receivers coach David Culley.

“I’ve been waiting on this,” he said. “Being out here made me realize I have to work even harder.”

Brown faces lofty expectations as the team’s No. 1 pick in the 2019 NFL Draft. He will play a key role in a revamped offense that is centered around speed and keeping opponents on their heels.

However, the Ravens had to wait to get a closer look at Brown as he spent the offseason recovering from Lisfranc surgery. Coach John Harbaugh certainly did not want to rush him back and risk further injury. Brown is still being limited to individual drills.

The conservative approach appears to be paying dividends.

“I feel great,” Brown said. “The training staff here is great. I give them all the credit. I just followed what I had to do.”

Last year, Brown finished with 75 catches for 1,318 yards and 10 touchdowns for the Oklahoma Sooners. The Ravens are hopeful that success can translate to the NFL.

The key now is for Brown to continue his work with Lamar Jackson, who also can mesmerize defenses with his speed. The two players already have some history.

“I played against him [in pee-wee football]. It feels great,” Brown said. “We’ve been working. He’s been throwing me the ball stationary. Now that I’m able to move and catch the ball from him, it felt pretty good.”

Both Brown and Jackson have also connected off the field. In fact, Brown has been driving Jackson home after practice.

Maybe Jackson can return the favor by throwing him touchdown passes.

“I think it’s going to be pretty good,” Brown said about his relationship with Jackson. “Off the field, we’re real tight, real cool. On the field, it’ll be like that.”

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019/08/01/camp-notes/offense-flashes-the-speed/

Nice, I asked Ken McCusick about Anthony Levine Sr. bc I hadn't heard about him so far this preseason, and here's what he said:

"Yes, Levine played very well last year and is entrenched as the @Ravens dime back and ST captain. By playing dime, he should be in for approximately 30% of snaps. Given his vet status, we should hear very little about Levine this preseason. #RavensFlock"

Good news. I was worried he wasn't with the team anymore.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...nk4cKm4kEAywC9QuTgz4TLm1nIuyy45CsipXoVtgUYft8

Go Coach Harbaugh! Best coach in the league : )

"Mental mistakes. They can be the downfall of an NFL team. The Ravens were working on fourth-down situations, where the offense was charged with trying to get the defense to jump offsides. It worked several times, and after cornerback Cyrus Jones made the same mistake, it drew the ire of head coach John Harbaugh.

"We don't need dumb," Harbaugh told Jones after sending him to the sideline, per Jeff Zrebiec of The Athletic. Jones then said something back, which led Harbaugh to send him off to the locker room.

Fellow defensive back Marlon Humphrey then said something which Harbaugh missed.

"Got something to say, come over and talk to me," Harbaugh responded, per Jonas Shaffer of the Baltimore Sun. Humphrey then followed Jones to the locker room.

"For a second, I thought it was a baseball game after seeing guys get ejected, but that's all a part of being where we are in training camp," Ravens defensive coordinator Wink Martindale said after practice, per the team's website. "I was a little disappointed today with our situational awareness."

...."That's Harbs, man," linebacker Pernell McPhee said. "If he doesn't get on us, we're going to lose the game. I love it. Everywhere you go, coaches are going to be like that. You need a coach like that to keep us humble and keep us in our place.""

--------------

Nice. Finally we're gonna see what Harbaugh can do without such a limited QB. I can't wait.

Back